Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting The Concept

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author

I have been reading oil painting books, watching videos, and practicing with oil, and created this composition called the concept. While reading a book published by a famous artist, he describes the still life and the so called concept in order to create a composition. This is an almost finished work done in oil, a hard panel 11x 14, where I tried to use every tip learned to make it better. I utilized the concept of chiaroobscuro, sharp edges, values, found and lost edges, contrasts, high chroma, and the diagonal line. C&C are welcomed.

enelram

This is just lovely. Looks like you learned the lessons you were pursuing well!

It’s useful to expand your technique toolbox. However in my opinion, technique could be sort of a crutch, or safe zone.
        For me, I worry about employing techniques to any point that might obscure my intuitive “eye to canvas” and emotional response to what I am looking at and interpreting, into the painting. Besides, I find it more fun to have those wonderful surprises. So….sometimes, I try to stretch out past what I already know. Sometimes I have to stumble, back pedal and be more analytical.

AllisonR

This is super lovely. The positive-negative spaces made by the pitcher are graceful and elegant. Reflections and glare on the pitcher also fine. Some nice crisp highlights on the handle versus more soft edges elsewhere. Value placement also fine. No major crits. Minor – your table is buckling in the center, not straight.

Being born places you at a greater risk of dying later in life.

http://www.artallison.com/

Enelram, Bogiechile, Allison:
            Thank you very much. I am re-learning how to apply the oil and how to mix and so on, since decades ago I did try oil painting but I was not too happy since i did not know the basic principles such as values, composition, color study and so on. So I restarted years back using pencils, charcoal, pastel and now oil. My goal is to “graduate” and paint portraits using oil. I feel very comfortable using Pastel but oil painting is another story.
            Yes Allison, I noticed the slight curve at the center of the table. I used a 5000K light for the set. In fact, the support or “table” is actually black but I did not want to paint it so dark.That will be fixed.
            Thank you again for the comments.

TomMather

Very nice still life.

Thank you Tom.

Delofasht

Painting fruit is so much fun, the metal of the pitcher looks fantastic!

- Delo Delofasht
                    DMSS

Excellent.

--David

Loretta7

Outstanding Moises! You Sir, are a true artist.

[FONT="Tahoma"]CxC always welcome :thumbsup:

Painting fruit is so much fun, the metal of the pitcher looks fantastic!

Thank you Delo.

David, Loretta: Thank you.
                            I fixed the table so it looks better now.
                            My question is:
                            Is it important to use only one concept for a composition, or just apply every concept on it? Does style play a role on a finished work?

lovin art

I love it , some lost and found edges would really push this

Pinguino

Looks great! And special thanks for the explanation, in terms of artistic concepts. So much better to do it that way, then use some “how to paint a vase” formula.

AllisonR

My question is:
                                        Is it important to use only one concept for a composition, or just apply every concept on it? Does style play a role on a finished work?

Apply whatever concepts you can, and want, in the painting. If hard-soft edges is important to you, use it. If value placement is important, use it. If chiaroscuro is important to this painting, use it…. However, not every painting calls for every effect. For example a scene you want to paint in very high key or very low key would not benefit from chiaroscuro, that would throw all the values off.

However, I find that it depends where one is on the journey. An artist just starting out has enough problems with just trying to copy the item – seeing the real colors, not what colors one thinks are there, and seeing the right size, shape, foreshortening…. At this point, the beginning artists brain is thinking so much about how to see and mix color abc, that to also have to think about a perfect composition, lost edges, chiaroscuro… would be too much to think about. After 10 or 50 or however many paintings, then the artist knows how to see and mix a specific color, so the artist can then free up his brain to start thinking about lost edges or some other detail. Eventually lost edges start to come naturally to the artist as well, at which point he can start thinking about how to improve his composition… The good thing is no matter where one is on the journey, there is always so much further to go. As soon as you pass one hurdle, you see more and more hurdles you want to pass. It’s a never ending journey.

Being born places you at a greater risk of dying later in life.

http://www.artallison.com/
                                      Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.