Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Holley

(xposted from watercolours)

I’m having a bit of a run with watercolours at the moment and loving it! I have a couple of dogs and one of them is my little man, I often call him my little soldier and I thought I would like to portray that somehow in a painting. I’ve had a good reference photo of Jimmy for several years which I’ve always wanted to paint and recently I had a creative idea. My thoughts were to put a silhouette of a saluting soldier in the background somewhere and to add some interest to the piece I could have a splash of colour in the background – army colours. I threw in some aqua to brighten it a bit also.

I took photos along the way and have shared them on my blog/website if anyones interested in checking them out. On A4 hot press, my little soldier Jimmy, he is going on 13 years old this year, he’s a sweet little guy!

fedetony

That is a very nice rendering of a wonderful partner…

Federico Garcia
            My Blog
            C&C always welcome :D

"...when someone gives a critique of your work, fear not. It usually means they like or care more of your work than when they just pat your back." - Tiago

Beautiful, Holley!

Christel

kerri_oz

Lovely. He looks like a very sweet little dog.

I'm here to grow and learn as an artist, so C&C always welcome :D

Really lovely portrait.

Penny
                I live in Wiltshire, England
                “If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” -Will Rogers

What a brilliant idea to have those army colors, but especially that soldier silhouette in the background to create this story in your painting. Jimmy is such a beautiful dog! I just lost my beagle, who was almost 13, so I know how precious a pet can be as they grow older. A wonderful painting that brightened my day. Thanks for sharing!

Jenna

My website: https://www.thecozyred.com/

skipstah

Fantastic job! I love the smooth linework along the side of the profile of the dog’s head.

WEBSITE

You are certainly mastering those watercolours Holley. This is so lovely.The abstract background is perfect against the clean strong work on the dog.

Chammi
                    My Blog/WIP's and Tips: Chammi's Art Escapades

KarenESP

Great portrait, great detail. Interesting background too.

equinespirit

Wow, love this!
                            Wonderful idea and so beautifully painted.

Triduana

Lovely portrait of the dog and I love what you have done with the background.

Kay D - Edinburgh, Scotland

So long, and thanks ...

A delightful portrayal of your pooch Jimmy and using the camouflage colors as a background splash was pure genius. Love this!

Kay

Moderator: Watermedia, Mixed Media, Abstract/Contemporary

Equus Art

I love the concept, the execution and your choice of palette, along with such a sweet pup as the subject. Wonderful.

Cat

Cat Choyce ~ Artistic Hand Studio
                                    http://www.cathychoyce.com

studiokatto

I love your painting! The palette is nice and soft, but the dog still looks strong. And I looove the eye, beautiful!

Animal, figurative and abstract painting in oils, acrylics and digital art - Victoria, BC
                                        Kathy / C&C welcome
                                        http://www.katto.com
                                        @studiokattoart on Instagram
                                        studiokatto on Deviantart

Holley

Thank you everyone!! I’ve had this idea in my head for a while, just finding the time to put it to paper is always the hardest thing.

I also have a bull terrier, her name is Minni – after Minnie mouse. I’ve done a creative drawing of her too, some years ago now, using coloured pencils with a silhouette colour splash in the background of Minnie mouse. I find painting white dogs is always a bit difficult so by throwing some colour behind I find it brings the dogs out more and adds that element of more colour and interest too. I have 3 dogs, so I’ve still to paint little Jessie but I’m not sure about how to do hers as yet, perhaps an idea will come to me someday!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.