Home Forums The Think Tank Creativity Choosing what to pursue, indecision

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    zozo

I am in kind of a dilemma now.
        I pursue several creative things- illustration, music, fine art etc etc and I have to sort of eliminate somethings and I just can’t. Could use your help!

Should I based on my decision on
        -What I am good and confident, profitable at even though it’s a bit mundane and boring?
        -What excites me but difficult and scary?
        -What I wanted to do in my college? vs what I picked up on the way? (my ‘dreams’ seem to change periodically…)

I have hard time pursuing all of them. It’s exhausting and confusing and need to let go of a few.
        There are too many influences from social media now, I get affected as well. One day I am into drawings, and the next some other things like photo.
        How did you decide on your field/career/media?
        Thanks!

SarahY

Hi zozo! I’m in much the same position; I have various art projects on the go, and I write as well. I also play piano and clarinet, but I’ve had to reluctantly accept that I just don’t have time to fit playing instruments for pleasure into my life so it’s pretty much fallen by the wayside.

Generally, I go with the flow. Whatever I’m in the mood for, I will do. I won’t paint if what I really want to do is write, because my art suffers from the resentment.

Maybe you’re looking at it the wrong way round. You have mentioned illustration, fine art, and photography in your post; but what if you focused on a theme rather than a medium? Like, I dunno, say… people. Faces could excite you. Explore faces in all three; paint faces, illustrate faces, photograph faces.

Whatever you do, you should always go for what excites you, regardless of difficulty. Challenging yourself means you can improve and you’re less likely to get bored, stuck in a rut doing the same thing over and over again. The more you’re challenged, the more creative and inspired your solutions will be.

http://www.shyeomans.co.uk
            \m/ neue deutsche härte \m/
            Nothing left but smoke and cellar, and a woman with a black umbrella...

Sarah

I am 51 and have been an artist all my life, though that has taken several different forms. When I was younger I had to make money, but I never lived an extravagant lifestyle and my need for money was pretty low. I worked at an art foundry so I could cast my work and save money. Sometimes I made money too :) I sculpted wildlife and horses. I found a market for my horse sculpture but it had to be in urethane resin so I switched to that and did it until last year…..so almost 30 years! Yes, it certainly did get mundane and boring. I was introduced to pastel in 2012 and did that for a few years, but it was eating into my ‘real job’ time and I had to set it aside in 2015. Three years later here I am, finally not needing to make much money at all so I am back at painting :) That probably didn’t help much, but it is how my life as an artist has unfolded. I also like photography, plus a lot of non art activities and it is impossible to do them all. I pretty much let my outdoorsy self take a break this summer so I could get back to painting. I suppose it’s better than being a person with no interests or hobbies, though. I know plenty of those people.

sarahrosefineart.com

La_

diversity of arts is good for creativity and of all the mediums you listed, it’s social media that’s the least beneficial to being a productive artist/human, so i’ll say, drop it [or at least place extreme limits on it].

la

Mettaphorica

Hey Zozo,
                        You’re in good company! Another multi-media / discipline artist who struggles with juggling: painting, clay, writing,singing, dancing, photography, digital art and time to learn, learn, learn.
                        There are two ways to approach this:

One: Go with the flow/mood as Sarah Y suggests. I’ve often found myself suddently being attracted to working on a piece of writing because I’ve become terrified of the painting I was doing, and vice-versa;
                        not wanting to write something for fear/writer’s block, so doing a painting instead! In the end, I sort of win either way.

I too have found that if you push at one outlet only all the time, the other outlet resents it. Like Sarah Y, I too find that if I push at art when what I really have the urge to do is write, or make something
                        with clay, then the writing or clay part of me gets angry and resentful, so it’s better to go with the urge.
                        However, if the urge is to suddenly bake a huge chocolate cake and eat in front of Netflix, question the helpfulness of that one -it maybe a procrastiation disguised as creativity or rest, ploy.

The other way to approach it is to schedule each activity that is important to you. Like you would at school.
                        So, Mondays 6-8 could be painting. Tuesdays, photography, Wed, 3-4 social media binge etc. Scheduling helps create structure and also gives a sense of relief that you will get to everything some time during the week.
                        The downside to scheduling is that you could wind up resenting the schedule but it can definitely work.

I have a sort of schedule in that on Wednesdays I know I will be working from 12.30 onwards. So from 9 to 11.30 I set aside my painting time. That’s it. Thats my ‘me’ time because I know the rest of the day
                        will be the world’s, and when I get home it will be my husband’s and animals’ time.
                        So booking in regular time can help.

The least long lasting choice is the one that will make money; it may work in the short term but nothing kills passion quicker than turning it into a financial transaction.
                        That’s why many artists prefer not to take comissions but to sell what they create (there’s pros and cons for doing either)

hope this helps
                        cheers
                        Donna

zozo

Thanks so much for the insightful replies, I didn’t expect to get feedbacks. Now I don’t feel so guilty and shallow for being multi disciplined.

After posting this and also reading replies, I realized I’d better ditch the boring yet profitable choice. It was getting a bit dreadful – I just didn’t know the feeling was resentment.

I am going to drop the projects that are uninspiring and yet was holding onto just for the sake of continuation, doing it out of guilt of abandoning or it’s just ’my comfort zone’.

SarahY – That’s a good pointer that I concentrate on the theme rather then the media. Often when I jump from one media to another, i seem to lose what I am trying to say through works in general.
                            I heard that advice somewhere, too, and I seem to have forgotten about that. Yes, I couldn’t agree more to go with the challenging/exciting choice. Thanks!

La-I am taking a little break from social media:) I get too influenced by it.

Mettaphorica- Thanks for the advice!
                            I did try scheduling and didn’t work at all with me. But I do remind myself to balance different projects. So I guess in-between going with the flow and scheduling? That would be a way to go for me.
                            I don’t know how to bake cakes lol but yes, I’ll question my procrastination.

Adrian.B

This topic really caught my attention, as I am driven by a lot of different passions myself (I’m mainly a guitarist, singer, painter, go player, asides other occasional things).

I always felt it was very important for me not to put my activities on an equal foot. If I divided my week time equally between the different activities, I would never put enough effort in any one to make substantial progress.

What I am doing instead is picking a specific activity for a period of time ranging from 6 months to 1 year, and really working on improving it. I practice the other activities very few during that time, for leisure only, to not lose too much proficiency. When I feel bored by my “main” activity I switch to another one, quickly regain my proficiency in it and drive it further. It is the way that best works for me. Ofc this may not apply to you as everybody is different and has different aspirations :)

Cheers,
                                Adrian.B

My paintings: https://www.facebook.com/AdBpaintings
                                - C&C always welcome -

zozo

Adrian, thanks for the post! At the moment, I am more of a quick jumper of different media.

So if you are, for example, doing a year of painting and a year of music, would you do both a gig and a painting show?

I have this problem where I am not able to make showcase because I am doing other stuff. Say for example, I am supposed to do a piano gig, but then I am not working on or thinking about my exhibition.

Working is one thing, but presenting them involves other people and promise.

I tend to lose interest in other things when I am pursuing another one naturally. Then the other interest would creep up and I work on them again.

I don’t know if this is a question. I am just having this problem recently. Should I try to do exhibition OR should I give a concert OR should I etc etc. Do all at the same time somehow?….

Excuse these odd questions, I have been just reflecting and analyzing about my works and career quite recently.

Adrian.B

I will try to answer your questions.

At first I must mention that my way of working is OK since I’m just an amateur. If I wanted to make a living of one of these activity ofc I should focus on it most of my time, like a day job.

Now, your first question is about myself and my demonstrations. I’ve not been into music the last 2 years, which means that I didn’t put hard work in to improve. However I am in a band at the moment, and we do gigs regularly (once per month approximately). It is not that hard to be in a band and stay in your comfort zone, and it is only the first gig that demand a little investment. Once your sets are done one and for good you can capitalize on it and easily do multiple gigs. Of course you will change a few things there and there, but it’s not a big deal.

About exhibitions and my art, I’ve only been into “serious” painting for the last 6 months. I started drawing and painting 4 years ago, but always considered it a leisure activity until recently. Which mean that I don’t have enough critical mass of paintings yet to do an exhibition. But I plan to do one in the next 6 months.

Overall to the question “Can I do multiple demonstrations in a little time frame ?”: I’d say yes, but only one must demand serious attention. It’s pretty obvious really. If you have to do 10 paintings in 2 months for your exhibition, and at the same time you have to prepare a concert from scratch for the next month, of course it will be very hard to handle.

I tend to lose interest in other things when I am pursuing another one naturally. Then the other interest would creep up and I work on them again.

It’s actually pretty sane to be occupied by a single project at a time: it’s called focus.

I don’t know if this is a question. I am just having this problem recently. Should I try to do exhibition OR should I give a concert OR should I etc etc. Do all at the same time somehow?….

It’s up to you really, we are free men and women :) What are your ambitions ?

Another comment: when I mentioned not putting all activities on an equal foot, I think it’s a matter of mental health. I know how it is demanding and exhausting to try to improve in a field. It is good to have only one of your activity that “bothers you” at any time. Just relax and enjoy the others. That’s my main point.

Hope it helped,
                                        Adrian.B

My paintings: https://www.facebook.com/AdBpaintings
                                        - C&C always welcome -

zozo

Popping up to say thanks Adrian B for the reply.

I made art a semi career, and going through some kind of transition to take myself a bit more seriously, but I guess I am a little overthinking.

I agree everyone’s situation is different and I’ve got to figure this stuff out. But good to hear other’s work process and the forum’s been very helpful. Cheers:)

Mettaphorica

Zozo
                                                some good insights and advice.

Im wondering though how long you’ve been doing art etc for? The reason being is it may be that you are going through and experimental phase (which can take a year or more) to figure out what you love. Some things may fall by the wayside permanently, others, repeat themselves over and over.
                                                Regarding visual art specifically, I used to think it was ‘wrong’ to dabble in so many mediums and jump from a pastel to a pencil to a watercolour…well, maybe I’ll do two or 3 in one medium and then go to another, but now I think it’s essential experimentation that I needed to go through. But I keep circling back to my ‘comfort’ mediums and the ones I am best with. I too went through phases of two mediums interchangeably, then moved on to other mediums because they just suddenly appealed or I wanted to do something fresh.

I am innately curious by nature and want to know things so it’s not just art where I have a broad range of interests.

So I’m wondering whether you are like that in other areas? Also, being bored is part of the process. I will finish most paintings even if they are boring me because once you realise that finishing is character building and builds stamina and resistance, and that this too is essential besides feeling passionate and inspired all the time.

And also, sometimes abandoning a work that you’re not happy with is a bad decision because it may be that it just needed more work done, that it was going through the ‘ugly’ stage.

Knowing oneself is useful, as is keeping an ear to inner dialogue and inner critic sneakiness.
                                                cheers
                                                Metta

DavePete

Zozo …

You posed an interesting dilemma and I would guess it is shared by many, including myself. Too many interests and limited resources ( time, money, energy, etc )

The things you might consider are…

#1 – Tune out social media. Your life decisions should not be based on what’s hot right now.

#2 – Your art choices will sort themselves out. Even if it means working on each of them over time. In my opinion artistic endeavors should be something we explore with an open mind and passion. It is an evolution, not a decision.

#3 – Cut your losses on things you don’t really care about. We all have a finite amount time.

Now in retrospect … I need to figure out how I’m going to take in less news, which art medium to work in over the next year ( ink, pencil, pastel, watercolor or marker ), and eliminate some more stuff as I simplify and rightsize my retirement life. …

Humm … Inktober starts in a few days…

Good luck!

I’m 50 and I’ve been a professional in some of my endeavors. I’ve built careers out of music and art, and now writing. I still get overwhelmed with where my focus needs to go, a lot of times on a daily basis, and it gets hard at times when I have real, hard deadlines. Like, maybe I don’t feel like painting when all I want to do is write. That’s been the dilemma as of the last couple years now. I fear my gallery is going to drop me because I haven’t produced enough consistent work for a solo show. I’ve been instead working on a book full time.

I work in all media in art practically: oil and watercolor painting, drawing, book arts, soft sculpture (plush/sewing), textiles, paper collage, video, fiction, nonfiction, art critique… and, I’m a life-long musician and songwriter. I now have a disability and that took me out of that game for the most part, but I did all of the above at the same time for most of my life. How? I don’t know. It was a lot easier when I was younger though.

Juggle. You just have to juggle. Not to sound, I don’t know. I don’t know how it sounds, but I mostly did whatever the hell I wanted at any given time. Yet, I always followed through with my agreements and responsibilities. If I had a deadline or a promise, I never missed it. I was also ambitious and very organized, always a few steps ahead and figured out to how pay the rent somehow. I did kind of live hand to mouth though, however, that was okay with me. I never had any other mouth to feed but my own and I never wanted fancy things, but I always owned my own car and made sure I never had a debt.

What I’m saying is that it’s all possible to do everything. I take my endeavors in projects. One project at a time. I set goals for each project. Deadlines.

For instance, I know I have to make 120 tiny watercolor before April. I know that will be easy because it will take about 12 weeks if I pace those at 10 per week, I’ll have plenty of time to fit in several other things. I work it in this way, if that makes sense.

fullcirclenow

I am glad to have had the opportunity to read these answers and comments because I have been going through the same thing. Seeing that others, and maybe many others have too seems to lift a little weight off me, lol.

Dee Jarvis

musket

Go for what excites you but is difficult and scary– every time. If you don’t, you’ll just be coasting, which is death on creativity. Just close your eyes, hold your nose, and jump off the cliff. You may be in for a hard landing. You may not. But you will never know if you don’t get out there on the edge and try.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.