Home Forums Explore Media Oil Pastels Oil Pastel Studio Abstract art

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 89 total)
  • Author

I’ve been wondering about how difficult it is to paint abstract – for someone like myself who doesn’t understand abstract at all:lol:
    I’ve looked at some artwork and here is a cool painting from Vassily Kandinsky

Actually I prefer Marx’s Blue horse which brings me to digitalized photos for reference, which can be quite fascinating.
    Any thoughts on this subject?

Christel

Mira

I don’t understand abstract either :)
        But they seem to be very different… some are complex – like the one you posted here, others are more simple – just about the color and the movement. Sometimes the simpler one look like an unusual sunset or sea…
        So these simpler forms wouldn’t be difficult for somebody who is not big on abstracts :) just my 2 cents.

I love oil pastels and have created a blog about this medium. While the blog posts are in Russian, still I invite you to get inspired with various artists' beautiful OP paintings in my blog's gallery: https://oilpastelist.wordpress.com/gallery

terriks

I like this, too, Christel. Kandinsky is very famous. These colors pop, the shapes are interesting…and I have no clue what goes on in these wonderful artists’ minds that results in paintings like this. :lol:

I suppose I could throw together some shapes and colors and line and say, “Here’s my abstract,” but it likely would have no underlying meaning. That’s part of why cubism, at least analytical cubism, kind of leaves me cold but excites other people, because it’s supposed to have underlying meaning – a mathematical breakdown or flattening of 3-dimensional shapes or things, the planes crossing and/or merging with one another. Too much for my pea brain to attempt, and I wouldn’t even like the end result.

But some abstracts are lovely, just shapes and colors that somehow appeal to the eye.

So – are you going to try abstract, Christel? I’d like to see what you came up with!

Terri

Film photographer with special love for alternative photographic processes - especially ones that get my hands dirty!

laika

I never know what to say about abstract art :) But with Kandinsky, it’s fun to trace his journey to abstraction over time. If you find a good sequence, you can see paintings getting looser and closer to abstraction, but still recognizably representational. Then at some point he gets to the kind of art that Christel posted.

I also like the expressionist art of his friend(?) Gabrielle Munter, who also got very loose in some of her landscapes, but seems to have returned to a more representational style from what I know of her.

And, yes to Franz Marc’s blue horses, Christel! Kandinsky, Munter, and Marc were all part of the Blue Rider group, if memory serves, FWIW.

Lamar

Art is life's dream interpretation.
                - Otto Rank

SarahY

I am by no means an expert but I do like abstract art and, for me, it comes down to not needing an actual subject to enjoy the art. I enjoy looking at the colours, patterns, textures, composition, without the need for a subject. I like paintings that require me to think, wonder, and often a painting of a ‘thing’ is just that and can be taken at face value. With abstract, I enjoy wondering what the artist intends me, the viewer, to see in their work.

http://www.shyeomans.co.uk
                    \m/ neue deutsche härte \m/
                    Nothing left but smoke and cellar, and a woman with a black umbrella...

Thanks for the feedback. I’ve seen some cool photo references at pmp by Sanne and I chose this one of the geese – a calidoscope of colors.
                    I think an ac pour is much faster for the background:lol:

I’d love to see your different ideas of what is beautiful abstract art – your own paintings?:angel:

Christel

SarahY

LOVE your geese! :thumbsup:

This is an abstract I did years ago, Senneliers on Clairefontaine Pastelmat, 10″ x 12″

I haven’t done many abstracts in oil pastel, I usually go for oil paint. I am doing one for the challenge this month, though.

Thanks Sarah!
                        Love colors and shading but you’ve got me stumped with your abstract – tell us a bit more about it, please?

Christel

amasacross

Remember the same rules apply that are pleasing to the eye, rule of three perspectives, value, etc.

I find with abstract art, working with the negative space is just as important as the positive.

Hope I’m clear, I haven’t had my morning coffee yet. Lol

Here is an Oil Pastel (Mungyo) and Graphite piece on Watercolor paper (6×8”) I did titled Motion:

Very interesting. Do I see traffic lights?

Christel

Rich A

I love this. I admire abstract art, but sometimes I do want the artist to speak into it some. Or maybe just share some thoughts behind the creation. Really love what you guys have posted here. My favorite types of abstracts are abstract landscapes or the liquid pours/organic look. Like oil slicks on wet pavement kinda stuff.

Rich A

This one is the closest to “abstract” for me within last year. Went really quick too
                                    I call it the portal.

Lovely, Rich! The name suits the painting very well.

Christel

SarahY

Motion is a good title for that work, amasacross, it’s very energetic!

Portal is lovely, raizes, very evocative.

Thanks Sarah!
                                        Love colors and shading but you’ve got me stumped with your abstract – tell us a bit more about it, please?

Ah, afraid not. I was just playing. I was feeling uninspired and frustrated and just got out a few oil pastels and went with it. I called it Flower in the Window, because it looks a bit like that.

Now this one, I can explain:

“Self Portrait”
                                        Sennelier Oil Pastel on Clairefontaine Pastelmat (5″ x 8″), 2016

The greeny-grey-lilacy background represents my usual state of calm. I’m a very laidback, easy going person. The black and indigo represent some rather severe mental health issues I suffered years ago and they’re in a box because, although they’re not ‘gone’, they’re sorted out and put away. The cream in the top of the box is understanding; bringing my mental problems into the light where they can be seen and understood. The red and yellow are passion and fun, in the forefront because life is good and I’m happy. Finally, the black lines represent creativity, things growing from single threads in my mind. Creativity is at the very front, overriding everything because whatever happens, creativity is always there.

Lovely, Sarah! Great way of explaining your art work.

Christel

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 89 total)
                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.