Home Forums Explore Media Printmaking Circular copper plates

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    MezzIntent

Hi there,

First time poster, long time lurker here. I need some circular copper plates for an intaglio project and was wondering if anyone knows if or where I can purchase them. I don’t have access to a band saw or jig saw for cutting my own. I’ve googled myself blue in the face and searched the forums for leads but haven’t been able to find a thing in the way of round plates for etching.

Anyone have any ideas?

Diane Cutter

I don’t know of anyone who cuts circular plates but you might give a call to either Graphic Chemical or Takach. Both companies sell copper plates in different sizes and they might have a suggestion of who could cut them round for you.

MezzIntent

Great idea, I will check with them. Thank you!

blackandwhite

One possibility is to ask local metal laser cutting or waterjet cutting companies that could they cut some circles at affordable price. The smaller the company is the more willing they often are to do this kind of jobs. Usually those cutting methods produce very clean and precise cuts. I once asked one company to laser cut steel intaglio plates and the cutting fee was pretty low.

I know this is a bit late, but just in case:

I don’t see producing circular plates as a problem. I make odd stuff all the time. Here’s what I’d do:

1- forget about farming that work out to others unless you need dozens of them. Making them yourself is easy. If you can print, you can make a round plate.

2- take the money you’d spend on having someone cut them for you, and buy a cheap jig-saw and a few metal cutting blades at the home improvement.

3- if you don’t have a spare room… set up a little work station outside, maybe in your parking lot or driveway.

4- buy a can of blue layout dye. It costs ~$3, and will allow you to lay out your circle accurately.

5- scribe the circle using your scriber and a round template…. or a compass…. or a home-made trammel.

6- cut the circle out with the jig-saw…. keeping close to the line, but not over it….then file away the bumps / lumps. OR if you can get access to a disk / belt sander, then it’s very simple to grind it exactly to the line.

That’s it. Polish your plates, and go print with them.

For some reason a lot of folks think things like this are beyond them, when in fact just the opposite is true. If you think about it, you will realize that by doing things like this for yourself you both save money, and add to your skill set.

You can do it. Not too long ago, I made a printing press while living in a tiny 1 room apartment, using nothing but hand tools. It was a big pain in th backside…. but it printed well. Actually, I think it’s story is posted here on Wet Canvas, or on Briar Press.

Dave
                    aka Winking Cat Press

"Political Correctness" is just another way to muzzle free expression

I’ll just posit this, altho this may not apply to your problem its an easy and quick trick. Use cut paper stencils. Place these on your matrix after its fully inked. This way you don’t have to cut any metal.

pelgrim

I did a lot of copper circular shapes in the past.

Way of working:
                        Draw the circle on the copper.
                        Used a metal guillotine to cut a square (4 sides) around it
                        https://www.u-marq.com/12-guillotine-for-trophy-metals-jewellers-brass-and-plastic-gt-00111
                        Cut the corners diagonal around the square until you have a regular 8 sided shape.
                        Keep going until it doesn’t make sense anmyre to cut more.

The rest is done with a file, patience and a little experience.

Pelgrim (programmer, maker, art hobbyist)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.