Home Forums Explore Subjects Plein Air Bobbo started something good!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 72 total)
  • Author
    Marc Hanson

I am a real fan of a number of British artists and after the post about Trevor Chamberlain that Bobbo graced us with, I thought I would post some images of other British artists that are doing or did great work. In the case of Edward Seago, his life ended in 1974, but he was a huge influence on the artists to come including Trevor C. and Matthew Alexander who is of the generation after Trevor Chamberlain.

So enjoy.

Edward Seago- worked from life mostly, but did work in the studio too.

And Matthew Alexander- used to do a lot of plein air work, but mostly works in the studio now.

LeeHaber

Marc, This is a real treat. My knowledge of British painters was nill.
            Thanks for the mini show!!! :clap: P>S> Any idea of the sizes???

Lee Haber
            Master Signature Member NYPAP

www.LeeHaberFineArt.com

"In the beginning, I was like everyone else." - Monet

Marc Hanson

Marc, This is a real treat. My knowledge of British painters was nill.
                Thanks for the mini show!!! :clap: P>S> Any idea of the sizes???

Lee- Matthew Alexander’s are mostly in the 12×16 to 16×20 range. Edward Seago’s are larger ranging into the 18×24 and 24×30 area. Tommorrow I’ll post the sizes for you. They’re great aren’t they.

Matthew Alexnder

blondheim12

Wonderful!!!!
                    Thanks for sharing Marc.
                    Love,
                    Linda

Linda Blondheim Art
                    http://www.lindablondheim.com
                    Blondheim Art and Stories
                    http://www.blondheimartandstories.com

Bobbo

I have to admit,
                        i don’t know any of these names,
                        and if i hadn’t stumbled across Chamberlains gem of a book,
                        i wouldn’t know any plein air painters from the UK,
                        apart from Turner and Constable of course
                        Turner was he the first impressionist?

oh what a dimmm head i am…..
                        ofcourse i know another English plein air painter

Fred cumming,
                        he used to live in the next village on the south coast
                        it took him 50 years to become succesfull,
                        and now he is raking it in,sell out one man shows
                        showings at the national gallery in London
                        Madonna Paul mcCartney have his paintings
                        he inspired me to go out and paint…

Bobbo

oh sorry thanks for the images marc
                            really enjoy them,altough i’ve never seen them,
                            they look kinda familiar….

Edward Seago is simply stunning!! I first saw his work in a Ron Ranson watercolour book ages ago…I’ve wanted one of his works since then….

Same with Edward Wesson’s paintings…http://www.street-gallery.co.uk/artist_gallery.php?sid=443523be6cab8192ea652fbfcbcc08b7&artist=WES&cat=ORG

Here is a Trevor Chamberlain site… http://www.islandfinearts.com/pages/thumbnails/24.html …there is a Seago page there too :)

Marc Hanson

1Cham- Thanks for the links!

LeeHaber

Lee- Matthew Alexander’s are mostly in the 12×16 to 16×20 range. Edward Seago’s are larger ranging into the 18×24 and 24×30 area. Tommorrow I’ll post the sizes for you. They’re great aren’t they.

[URL=http://www.mathew-alexander.com]Matthew Alexnder[/URL]

I’m so familiar with the U.S. plein air painters… this is a real eye-opener. Thanks again.
                                    If it doesn’t rain…I’ll be fixing “May Bouquet”…ready with my mirror, level, plumb- line and t-square, :D :D :D

Lee Haber

www.LeeHaberFineArt.com

LeeHaber

I have to admit,
                                        i don’t know any of these names,
                                        and if i hadn’t stumbled across Chamberlains gem of a book,
                                        i wouldn’t know any plein air painters from the UK,
                                        apart from Turner and Constable of course
                                        Turner was he the first impressionist?

oh what a dimmm head i am…..
                                        ofcourse i know another English plein air painter

Fred cumming,
                                        he used to live in the next village on the south coast
                                        it took him 50 years to become succesfull,
                                        and now he is raking it in,sell out one man shows
                                        showings at the national gallery in London
                                        Madonna Paul mcCartney have his paintings
                                        he inspired me to go out and paint…

Thanks Bobbo, These are really wonderful. Shows how close you can get to abstraction and yet be realistic. Great surface texture. :) :) :)

Lee Haber

www.LeeHaberFineArt.com

Marc Hanson

Specs on the Seago and Alexander pieces-

Seago-
                                            1) In the Tutileries, Paris- 18×24
                                            2) August Afternoon, Champs Elysees- 20×26
                                            3) Fishing boat, Istanbul- 11×15-1/2
                                            4) Stanley Harbour, Falkland Isands- 18×24
                                            5) Rivett’s Farm, Norfolk- 10-1/2×14

Alexander-
                                            1) Quayside Cafe, Honfleur- 24×32
                                            2) La Lieutenance, Honfleur- 18×24

And a couple more Seagos-

1) Bathhurst, The Gambia- 18×24

2) Headland in the Falkland Islands- 20×26

JamieWG

Marc, those Seago paintings are stunning. Thanks for showing them.

Jamie

Hudson Valley Painter[/url]
                                                Hudson Valley Sketches -- Reviews/Lightfastness Tests/Art Materials
                                                [/url]
                                                One year from now, you'll wish you had started today.

Marc Hanson

Bobbo- Fred Cumming!!!!! Thanks for these…they’d make anyone want to paint…delicious!

coh

Those paintings by Cummings in Bobbo’s latest post are amazing, especially
                                                        #2-5 from the top. They are so abstract in terms of paint application
                                                        yet they are instantly recognizable as specific landscapes.

I wonder, is the ability to paint this way something that can be
                                                        learned/developed or are some people just born with a unique
                                                        ability to do this? Maybe they see the world or process information
                                                        in a different way than the rest of us.

I would recommend a book called “The Encyclopedia of Oil Painting
                                                        Techniques” by Jeremy Galton. He has lots of great paintings from artists
                                                        I’d never heard of. I think most of them are from England, and apparently
                                                        some do a lot of plein air work. Along with Chamberlain, here are some
                                                        artists whose work I recommend:

Arthur Maderson
                                                        Brian Bennett
                                                        James Horton
                                                        Ken Howard
                                                        Raymond Leech
                                                        David Curtis

Chris

Check out my Website (updated November 18, 2009)
                                                        And my new blog, stop by when you get a chance!

Marc Hanson

Boy I hope that my computer blows up soon! This is too much fun, and addicting!!!!!!! :D

David Curtis link- this is still under development.
                                                            http://www.davidcurtis.fsnet.co.uk/

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 72 total)
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.