WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The WetCanvas! Galleria > Open Critique Forum
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-17-2019, 05:21 PM

Hails from United States
Untitled

MY IMAGE(S):

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Untitled
Year Created:
Medium: Digital
Surface: Computer
Dimension: 3200x4268
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Hello, not sure if critique is the right place for this. I have submitted this line drawing to a digital painters Facebook forum and got some amazing feedback, but I'm at a loss as to how to implement the perspective feedback I received (and the forum is limited for space). The feedback I received was about perspective, gesture, and line weight specifically.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I was hoping someone could show me via an overlay or explain regarding the figure/cat in perspective. I was told that the figure, the cat, and the plant to the left were not drawn in perspective. Being that the girl is parallel to the picture plane (she was originally totally profile, but I already made some changes based on feedback, so her gesture and posture changed a little), I can't for the life of me figure out how to get her figure to be "in perspective". Same with the bush. Not sure about the cat...since he's smaller than the girl, but also closer to the viewer, his size seems right to me, but I'm told all 3 are "flat." Can anyone help me to see what this means? i was advised to draw a box around her. Tried that, but my brain is not registering exactly what that means...lol...as you can see, I've tried all kinds of lines, etc, all seem a little pointless. Thank you!
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-20-2019, 04:37 PM

Re: Untitled

This is a very nice picture.

To figure this out, I will go the Andrew Loomis thought process. "Everything in the world will fit in a box, only if it is big enough" (or something like that). So place the cat in a box. Currently I see the cat as if drawn at eye level rather than below eye level, as if at the height of the railing instead of below you on the floor. (Cat on the rail)

So if I create a cat sized box which recedes to the vanishing point of the drawing I get something like this.

It's crudely drawn, but it should work well enough as an example. This box makes it easier to get the proportions correct in the perspective you have. Since the cat is so close to the viewer, the perspective is a bit skewed.

So if I draw a few circles in the box to represent the masses of the cat, then I can move the parts around to match the perspective.

I used no model, just the way our cat tends to pose when he's interested in something. So if it has too much energy in the pose, I apologize. At this angle, unless the cat has turned his head, the face would be hidden. If it has turned his head, the ears would be in a different position. You are looking down at the top of his head, top of his shoulders and the feet would be more or less pointing forward, depending on the cat.

Anyway, this is the way I approach these sorts of situations. Perhaps this will help. Hopefully, I was clear enough. It is sort of a condensed idea here.

The Dabbler.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-20-2019, 11:53 PM
A WC! Legend
Alberta, where coyotes look both ways before crossing the highway

Hails from Canada

looks reasonable to me other than her feet being disproportionately huge

as to 'flat', it's generally shadows and highlights that fix that problem

la
Latin, German, Serbian, Bengali, Icelandic, Brazilian, Italian, Filipino, Swedish, Romanian, Lithuanian, Hindi/Urdu, Hungarian, Latvian, Hebrew, Arabic, Chinese, Russian, French,Greek,Igbo(Nigeria)
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-21-2019, 01:02 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Oregon

Hails from United States

The big shoes grab my eye first..
the hard/bold lines on the bench next
cat on the railing- no -too close to the edge
the lollipop plant/shrub, to flat /fake looking with the hard edges
some small things..
girl seems slim, but too full in the chest
she is reclining but there seems no support behind her upper body.. the bench side ends way below her mid back..
hard line at her back (grabs attention to it) & the angle doesn't fit a natural way of sitting with only one pillow there

Put yourself or a friend in same pose and snap a pic to see if it matches up.. but those are just small things. depends on how "real" you want..
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=528
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-25-2019, 08:32 AM

Hails from United States

Thank you all for your generous feedback! I have applied the tips as well as I could and will use the new knowledge going forward. Here is the finished drawing with color and shading.