Home Forums Explore Media Casein, Gouache, and Egg Tempera Turner Gouache-Multiple pigmented colors

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Misspris

I am looking to upgrade my gouache paints. I would like them to rewet easily, as it usually takes me multiple sittings to finish a painting.

I have been looking into Turner Design Gouache, but most of the colors are multiple pigments. I have noticed this a lot with gouache. Is this just the nature with gouache paints? I’m coming from learning watercolors we’re single pigment colors are important to make clean mixes. Is this not as important with gouache paint since it is an opaque medium or for another reason perhaps.

I have looked for reviews on Turner gouache and there is very little, so if anybody has experience with this brand I would love to hear your thoughts on it.

Thanks, Misspris

Mary Klein

I don’t have experience with this gouache but I did find an entertaining review video you might enjoy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nH7lN2mEyfs

– Mary

I have one tube of Turner gouache and don’t care for it as much as I do the Schminke or M.Graham. Of course, it costs less! You might try to get a tube each of various brands to see what you like best

The M. Graham’s are the best at rewetting but I’ve learned to only put out as much paint as I’ll use per session. If there is any left over paint, it helps to spritz it with water to soften then put a dab of new paint over it and mix it in before using it again. Rewet paint just doesn’t seem to work the same as fresh paint.

BTW, great video, Mary.

Misspris

Thank you Mary. I did watch the video. It seemed as though some of the paints were very thin and liquidy when they were squeezed out. It could be cause the vehicle separated in the tube or there are consistency issues…

It was still hard to judge these paints as she did a comparison against Reeves gouache, which is a cheap student grade paint, I would imagine any brand above student grade would be superior to the Reeves. I would like a comparison against other brands of artist grade gouache for me to really get an indication of how these paints perform.

I hope someone who has experience with this brand can chime in about the good the bad and the ugly.

Misspris

Artist by Accident, i think that is a great tip to add a dab of fresh paint on the old. I will defiantly give that a go.

Can you tell me what is was about the turner paint you didn’t care for. I am swooning over Schmincke, but right now I don’t believe I am at a stage in my learning process that it warrants such high quality (and price), I’m afraid I would just waste it un subpar paintings. I was hoping Turner would fit the bill for a cheaper priced artist quality brand.

The Turners are a decent brand. Some complaints I would give besides the odd mixed pigments you mentioned is that some of the colors are not particularly lightfast. The plastic tubes I also don’t particularly care for. Some are a bit runny, but not all of them, and they do occasionally use good pigments. The naples yellow (hue), havanah redand jet black are ones I like.

It is not the nature of gouache to require multiple pigments. It’s just a choice made by the manufacturer.

David Blaine Clemons
                    ----------------
                    My Website
                    My Blog

Da Vinci gouache is reasonably priced and has a lot of single pigment colors. However, there’s nothing intrinsically wrong with multiple pigment colors; you just have to be aware that mixing different pigments theoretically lowers the chroma.

C&C is welcome.
                    Richard

Trond

I would recommend M Graham instead. I just checked my colors; not a single one is a mix, and the color names on front of the tube generally reflect the pigment in the tube (not some arbitrary made up name, which is often seen in gouache).

Artist by Accident, i think that is a great tip to add a dab of fresh paint on the old. I will defiantly give that a go.

Can you tell me what is was about the turner paint you didn’t care for. I am swooning over Schmincke, but right now I don’t believe I am at a stage in my learning process that it warrants such high quality (and price), I’m afraid I would just waste it un subpar paintings. I was hoping Turner would fit the bill for a cheaper priced artist quality brand.

As I said, I only have one tube of the Turner and it was so runny that it practically spurted out of the tube. Like, David said too, some of the colors aren’t that lightfast.

I totally understand the need for affordable gouache when you’re just starting out and I also recommend the DaVinci for decent quality at a much lower cost. Old Tex, who used to post here, uses & recommends them and he puts out some awesome paintings. However, while quality paint is easier to work with, it’s the artist who ultimately makes the art. I recommend just practicing with whatever paint you can afford and replacing colors as you use them up with a similar color in artist quality paint. Just check the pigments and lightfastness of any color and brand.

Also, don’t be afraid to ‘waste’ paint as you won’t learn without painting and painting takes paint. You’ll eventually learn how much to put out at a time to avoid using more than you need.

Hope to see more of your work as your doll was really good and you should keep on with gouache if it interests you!

Nerys51

Since january this year I have the Sakura set by Turner is 12 tubes of 11 ml gouache. I like the paints. Had not used gouache since high school which is very long time ago. I like these and have been painting with them on small postcard size papers and on samples of watercolor papers
                            I have recently ordered some single pigment reds Turner gouache and 2 spring colors which I get next week, to expand the colors of this set. Price is ukp 11.00 at http://www.jacksonsart.com

I am looking to upgrade my gouache paints. I would like them to rewet easily, as it usually takes me multiple sittings to finish a painting. I have been looking into Turner Design Gouache, but most of the colors are multiple pigments. I have noticed this a lot with gouache. Is this just the nature with gouache paints? I’m coming from learning watercolors we’re single pigment colors are important to make clean mixes. Is this not as important with gouache paint since it is an opaque medium or for another reason perhaps. I have looked for reviews on Turner gouache and there is very little, so if anybody has experience with this brand I would love to hear your thoughts on it. Thanks, Misspris

I use Da Vinci Gouache, it seems to be one-pigment and I am very pleased with its quality, as it lays down in a layer without flashes and evenly without mixing with other shades and turning into mud. Can anyone tell me where I can find colors in such a palette https://create.vista.com/colors/color-names/rose/ ? This is very important, as the customer sent us this color palette and we agreed that we should not deviate from it.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.