Home Forums Explore Media Watercolor The Learning Zone Paint realistic newsprint?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

I want to do a painting that has crumpled newspapers in it. Any suggestions on how to render the newsprint? It is a realistic painting.

virgil carter

Have you considered using acrylic paints and sealants?

Keep in mind newsprint is notoriously fugitive and changes/deteriorates in natural light.

Sling paint,
        Virgil

Sling paint,
        Virgil Carter
        http://www.virgilcarterfineart.com/

Kosmon

Is actual newsprint somehow to be collaged into the painting?

Or are you asking how to portray (an image of) crumpled newspapers using watercolor?

(I suspect it’s the second – no actual newspapers will be harmed in the creation of your painting)

Kos

Hemmed & Hawn
            from
            PERESTRELLO's BOX[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B]
            Root, Bone, Sticks & Stone
            mgarcia51

Am guessing you mean how to render images of crumpled newspapers, not how to paint on newspaper.

Very difficult to find any relevant matches on YouTube. But I did find several images, done in different media, through Google image search.

Perhaps you can find some examples that way?

Maria

Delofasht

Render the crumpled paper first, capturing the folds and creases, then do the font on that. You will be constantly distorting the font as it is on those creases and folds, so careful attention will need to be paid in establishing them to really understand the dimensions of the paper. It can be extremely long and time consuming work, and there is not really a fast way to do it and have it still read as newpaper.

- Delo Delofasht
                    maryinasia

to make it look right, the most important part would be to “capture the folds and creases”… the lights and shadows, and the texture of the newspaper…maybe even it’s translucency. I would squint, blur the newsprint that you are looking at, and just capture how the lines of print look in general. Realistically painted trees don’t show every leaf, and realistically painted newsprint doesn’t need to show every letter.

Kaylen

If you want to paint an image of realistic newsprint, you will need to put the correct values of the right colors in the right spots,,,other than that stay loose

Kaylen Savoie
                            https://www.savoieartist.com/
                            At least twice a year,paint something better than you ever painted before.

drzeller

I’d say you should crumple a bunch of sheets and place them in varying light conditions. Then, if you are a drawer/sketcher, draw them in B&W and focus on values. If you aren’t a sketcher, skip to this next step and paint a few of them separate from your final piece. I seldom am smart enough to do this, but painting crumpled newspaper seems to call for learning first.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.