Home Forums The WetCanvas! Galleria Open Critique Forum wip, fact check

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    La_

detail of a 16×20, oils

looking for proportion and foreshortening feedback before i continue

la

~JMW~

The left side hand /wrist shape & fingers seem not quite right.
            the right shoulder/elbow ..you might try to place your arms in same positions and look in mirror.
            the left side leg feels like it wouldn’t match up with the right side which seems to fit the body.. proportion wise
            Maybe the different coloring on the left leg make sit seem to not fit..

hip /waist curve?

~Joy~

Beemax

As per your request: The head looks too big. The height is greater than the shoulder width of the sitter, which seems at odds with the rest. I FELT something was wrong, proportionally speaking, but struggled to identify the problem at first. The eyes also seem larger than life, especially the right one, but this IS a WIP, so no real prob’s on that front. Ignoring the spikey fingers, it looks like the left forearm (as we see it) is too short, even allowing for foreshortening, probably because of the dropped angle, where the effect would not be so pronounced. Additionally, it appears to be floating in the air, with no obvious means of support. I’m assuming her right arm is inside the recess of the furniture, but still the foreshortening looks overdone, as there’s very little apparent difference between the position of the two arms, depth-wise. The progression into the legs looks smooth enough to my eye, and the breasts are well positioned and have weight. I might’ve expected more of a waist, but that’s not necessarily correct for all figures, as we ALL know *smile*. Is the foot too small? Difficult to say.

I hope some of this helps, and I hope you post the finished article.

Brian

La_

thanks guys, excellent tidbits to tweak
                    i should have said ‘ignore hands and feet’, they’re just blobbed in without thought ’cause i knew the arms and legs weren’t just right enough yet

will get back to ya …

la

Tom Brown

The only possible issue I see is her left arm/elbow joint.

🤟🏻

I know you said the hands and feet are just roughed-in, but could the angle of her foot itself on the straight leg be one of the things bugging you? It seems slightly too far sideways and not enough “forwards” towards the toes as compared to the angle of her pelvis. When covering it with my thumb, a lot of the rest of her body looks fine and aligned (although that may be your intention, seeing as she appears uncomfortably hooked to up to a medical bag of some sort.) Very intriguing and gripping picture either way

Paul Moreau
                            Insta @pmoreau_fine_art
                            FB @pmoreaufineart

sevan

I agree finished hands and the foot will probably make quite a difference, along with light and shading..

JMW mentioned a mirror. I would suggest taking a photo of yourself in the position you want if possible. Foreshortening using a reference always seems to surprise me in some way.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.