WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Digital Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread  

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-25-2000, 09:51 PM
A Local Legend

Unhappy I need more pixilization help!!!!!!

I have a number of paintings I have done that were entered into a friend's computer at 72 pix/inch. He is emailing them to me and I have been trying to improve on the images as alot of the detail in the paintings is lost (I have to shrink them to 3.75 x 5.5 inches from the original 15 x 20) Soooo, as I am very new to all this I have tried to do this by increasing the pix to 300/inch....I don't know.....maybe I should have tried something different, but I don't know what. The result is blurred images, screwed up colors, etc. In some of the images I can fix this by smudging the image, hence remixing my colors, but in others there is just too much detail to even see what's going on. Help!!!!!!!! Oh, I'm using Photoshop and Photo Deluxe, and I'm almost computer illiterate.....and I really, really don't want to not be able to print up these images...... Thanks Guys.
Light,
Aurora
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-25-2000, 10:25 PM
Huntington Beach

Question

Are these images created on the computer or photos of paintings?

ml
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-25-2000, 10:30 PM
A Local Legend

they're photos of paintings. I'm about to get a digital camera in the next few weeks (fingers crossed!) and I'm thinking I might do better just reshooting them? What do you think?
Light,
Aurora
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-25-2000, 11:13 PM
Rod

The problem is that they were scanned into the computer at low resolution, You should set the scan resolution a lot higher if you want to print out.Try 300 per inch. Same with camera, they have usually two res settings. Use the higher one for images you want to print,
Rod.

------------------
Watercolours from New Zealand
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-26-2000, 02:40 AM
Huntington Beach

Once the images are scanned and saved at a certain resolution it is difficult to get an image to a higher resolution. You should always consider how the image will be used before you start manipulating it.

If the image is to be printed on a color laser or inkjet printer, 300 dpi is adequate.

If the image is for printing it doesn't have to be a .jpeg. A .tif or .pcx might work better.

The .jpeg format has built-in compression that can be adjusted in Photoshop that can affect the printing. The more compression, the lower the quality of image.
See illustration: http://www.artistnation.com/members/...pegoptions.jpg

On-line images for a web page should be small enough that the user doesn't have to wait forever to see it. The battle between image size and quality is ongoing. If you are using Photoshop, experimentation will show you how to get the best size/image quality for your pictures.

Sorry about the lecture but the main point is; you have to experiment with the settings and evaluate the resulting image.

This site has good information about web graphics
http://info.med.yale.edu/caim/manual.../graphics.html

ml
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-26-2000, 08:05 PM
A Local Legend

Thanks guys. I guess I'll just wait on my digital camera and try again....waiting is not my strong point, unfortunately. I appreciate your help though. All in all messing around with Photoshop has been fun.
Light,
Aurora