Home Forums Explore Media Oil Pastels Oil Pastel Studio Second painting using oil pastels. Finished

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Frederique

Hello everyone !

I was wondering if I could manage to obtain something with some “new” and “good grade” oil pastels. My first attempt with this medium is there : https://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1472631
        But the pastels I used were scholar grade and… nearly 30 years old !

So this time, for my second attempt, I read a lot of posts I found here and I decided to buy some “Mungyo artists’ oil pastels” (they were quite cheap on “Aliexpress” :) ).

As I had no inspiration at all, I made a copy from a drawing I found on the web (I don’t know which medium the original drawing was, perhaps colored pencils)

Here is my painting :

I had some issues with this painting (still in progress as you can see) : I think my sketchbook paper is too smooth, it probably doesn’t have enough tooth to keep the pastel on it.
        With colored pencils I love to layer a lot, so with OP I tend to do the same, but perhaps it can’t be done in oil pastels ?
        In fact, when I try to layer, the last layer removes the former ones instead of adding gently above them.

Is it the pastels (I don’t think because they seem to have a good reputation) ? Is is the paper ? Or is it my “technique” (recent and self-taught !) which is wrong ?

All advices are welcome ! :clap:

Fantastic work so far , Frederique!
        There are some things to consider
        Smooth paper allows much less op layers but it does work better for fine details, therefore try and work in 2-3 layers only.
        Hard op do tend to lift the bottom layer sometimes. Try warming up the op in your hands? Use cp for detailing(carefully as the point tends to dig in too deep if too sharp) or even oils if nothing else works.
        Op’s have a way of their own and you get used to them with practice.
        Love seeing your art work here.

Christel

Frederique

Thank you Christel ! Even 3 layers seem too much in my case, so I think it’s the paper which is not suitable for this medium. These OP are very creamy, really, I can’t compare with any other brand -except my oooold scholar OP – but to me they look like butter left near a sunny window :lol:
            Next try I’ll use a paper with tooth like “C à grains” …

SarahY

Welcome back! Beautiful cat, such a gentle, curious expression.

It’s definitely your paper causing the problem. I use Clairefontaine Pastelmat and you can just keep on adding layers to that. Any kind of sanded pastel paper will allow layer after layer. There’s some discussion on different surfaces here: https://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1472649

http://www.shyeomans.co.uk
                \m/ neue deutsche härte \m/
                Nothing left but smoke and cellar, and a woman with a black umbrella...

Frederique

Thank you Sarah !
                    I’ve got several packs by Canson (“C à grains”), at least 60 sheets in 24×32 cm format, I’d like to use… It doesn’t work with colored pencils because it’s got too much tooth (for my taste, at least), do you think it would work with OP ?
                    Canson says yes and provides this video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySXM-WRWzlY&feature=emb_title

I’d prefer to use them because I don’t have any other use of them, and I’m quite on a budget these days, because I’m in watercolor too and watercolor paper is really expensive (no way to avoid it) :clear:

Thanks for the link, I’m going to read this discussion…

Here is my finished painting (I can’t improve the wood because of the layering problem…)

SarahY

I don’t know that paper so had to google it; I don’t think it’ll be great as it seems to be slightly rough cartridge paper? However, it is totally subjective – what doesn’t work for me might well work for you! So give it a go and it would be great if you’d report back :)

http://www.shyeomans.co.uk
                        \m/ neue deutsche härte \m/
                        Nothing left but smoke and cellar, and a woman with a black umbrella...

Frederique

Ok Sarah, so I’m going to try and let everyone know here how it turns :wink2:

Love your painting!
                            Wrt your paper – because different papers need different approaches at times, get used to your paper that you have before moving on to the next type of paper – a challenge in itself!

Christel

Frederique

I think it’s a good point of view Christel… I’ll post on WC when I try OP on my “C à grains”.

terriks

Hi Frederique! :wave: Your cat turned out beautifully, despite your problems with the paper you worked on. I think you got good advice from Christel and Sarah. If you have a lot of this paper, you certainly made it work, so it will get easier to handle the more you play with it.

There are papers out there that claim to be great for oil pastels, but some of us don’t care for them (Mi Teintes comes to mind) – so, as with most art, it’s all subjective. What works for YOU is what matters at the end of the day.

I hope to see more of your work!

Terri

Film photographer with special love for alternative photographic processes - especially ones that get my hands dirty!

Frederique

Thanks Terri, I hope so.What makes me think that “C à grains” could work is the fact it has too much tooth (“grains”, as it calls itself !) for colored pencils – it’s only my opinion, I know some artists who like it –
                                        As I came to the (temporary) conclusion that OP need more tooth than CP, I think “C à grains” is worth a try. :)

MaryFlora

Lovely, Frederique! I enjoy your use of color, warm and lively.

I am one that does use Canson Mi Tiente and also Fabriano Tiziano. I generally enjoy using them, but then can also get frustrated with the laid pattern. They are, however, affordable and come in a huge variety of colors. I also freely admit to not fully understanding how to make the colors work for me! :lol:

I look forward to both seeing your work, and learning about your experience with C a grains!

Mary Flora

Frederique

Thank you Mary Flora ! I don’t know “Tiziano”, but I’m in love with fabriano artistico (for watercolor). If Tiziano is the same quality, I need to try it !

Mira

Hi Frederique!

First off, your cat is beautifully rendered! :clap: really lovely painting despite fighting the OPs.

Second, I suspect your Mungyos are not the professional, artist grade ones. Aliexpress carries both the cheapos (student grade Mungyos) and the professional line. Actually it’s better to buy them on Amazon or art supply stores. Sellers on Aliexpress often don’t know themselves what they sell: student grade, artist grade, and even the prices can be misleading.

So, your OPs look like that, right?

(two options of having the “wrong” Mungyos; the text on the OP sticks says either “OIL PASTELS” or “ARTISTS’ OIL PASTELS” or sometimes even “GALLERY”)

And these are the right ones, the artist grade Mungyos – they layer WAY better and are much softer:

See? It looks different. The text says “gallery OIL PASTELS” (different font) and has numbers of the colors.

I love oil pastels and have created a blog about this medium. While the blog posts are in Russian, still I invite you to get inspired with various artists' beautiful OP paintings in my blog's gallery: https://oilpastelist.wordpress.com/gallery

Frederique

Thank you Mira !
                                                        I don’t really know what to think about these pastels !
                                                        Here is a photo :

Mine seem to be a mix between the 2 kinds of OP your pictures show.
                                                        They have their color number and name, as you can see.

Strange !! What do you think ?

I tried them on a toothy paper (Canson Montval, medium grain, for watercolor, 300 gr) and I still have the same problem : when I layer, the last OP makes some kind of wax spots I move there and there on the paper when I try to blend, either with my finger, or with a tortillon. These wax spots don’t dissolve with turpentine or seed oil.

Really really STRANGE ! :confused: :eek:

Here is the drawing I made on Canson Montval

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.