Home Forums Explore Media Printmaking paper lifting and sticking to plate

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    humblesims

I am making some monotypes with oil based inks. I wet the paper thoroughly (a printmaking paper given to me as a gift so not sure about the brand but maybe Zerkall – I am in the UK) but i am having problems with the paper sticking to the plate in a sort of ‘rash’ in some areas and the paper coming away in a sort of stipple effect. I have tried to remedy it by loosening the medium a little and that has helped quite a bit but still I get spots of lifted paper. It is especially bad with cadmium red ink for some reason. I’ve been printmaking for a while now but this hasnt happened before. I suppose it may the paper. Any ideas? :)

IanBertram

I have this from time to time, although never with monoprints, only collagraph. I’ve never been sure what causes it, but having fairly fluid ink does help.
            I’ve also seen it suggested for monoprints that smearing the plate with a fine film of washing up liquid before applying the ink helps to ensure a clean release. I’ve never tried this though.

It used to happen a lot when I used Fabriano paper. I now use Somerset 300 which is less dense and moulds to the texture of the plate better. The Fabriano was quite smooth so perhaps there was a sort of ‘suction’ effect at work that doesn’t happen with the rougher Somerset, especially if the pressure was to high.

Soaking the paper well, then drying it evenly also helps. The soaking seems to aid flexibility, while the even drying ensures even bonding across the plate.

I’ve never used Zerkall so can’t comment.

Too much pressure can also be an issue, especially if the inks are a litle sticky. I’ve noticed too that some inks are naturally stiffer than others so your observation of some colours being worse than others may relate to that.

It doesn’t happen too often for me now which I put down to fairly free flowing inks, getting the dampness of the paper right and avoiding very humid weather.

For collagraphs temperature and humidity seem to be a factor, perhaps by softening the protective varnish.

Ian
            Website - https://ianbertramartist.uk
            Instagram: - https://www.instagram.com/ianbertramuk/
            Facebook: - https://www.facebook.com/ianbertramartist/

humblesims

Thanks for the reply Ian. Certainly food for thought. I wet the paper thoroughly and dry evenly so I dont think its that. Though the paper feels quite ‘dry’ even after some time soaking. I usually use Somerset 300 too and find it a great paper. Things have been better this afternoon inks seem to be flowing a lot better and not so much trouble although I am having to work quite loose. could be pressure I suppose. I do usually work with intaglio but dont need so much pressure for monotype I guess. I’ll try that. And I’ll try the wipe of detergent too, not heard of that.
                Many thanks

pressmaker

you should change the ink properties, by adding a tack reducer. (tack = stickeness of the ink)

pressmaker

also the properties of the paper have effect. Unsized paper (=waterleaf) can give this effect. Try machine sized (mass sized) paper. Check what kind of Zerkall paper you have. Zerkall is the best paper around.

humblesims

Thanks Pressmaker. :)

barbr555

Food for thought. Useful for me

Jane Wood

Most watercolor painters have encountered the disappointment of their paper clasping making the paint stream wherever with the exception of where they need it to go. Stretching watercolor paper makes it stay level for the entire painting measure like a duplicate fob. The experience of painting on watercolor paper that stays entirely tight and level is disclosure to painters who have consistently battled with their paper.

david0912

Students pursuing their career in nursing can take assistance from expert writers for their Nursing Assignment Help UK at a very cheap price. Every assignment content is unique and plagiarism-free.

Jane Wood

It sounds like you’re encountering a tricky issue with your printmaking process. As you’re using oil-based inks and Zerkall paper, it might be a compatibility problem. It’s peculiar that cadmium red ink is causing more trouble. On another note, have you ever considered utilizing local SEO ranking services for your artwork? It could be an effective way to broaden your audience’s reach. Anyway, as for the paper problem, you might try testing different paper types to see if you get better results.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.