Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting The Technical Forum Can I final varnish touch dry water mixable oil paintings?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Thinky

Can I final varnish if the WMO is touch dry, finished 3 weeks ago and mostly alla prima with a few thicker spots?

My paintings look a bit dry/dull, so I’m hoping a thicker varnish can bring out the darks. My client is expecting a rich glossy varnish, I’m afraid the retouch varnish won’t look “rich” enough.

Because these are custom orders to be shipped to the client’s country, I cannot wait one year to ship.

Humbaba

You should try first oiling out with stand oil, to bring the brilliancy back. In approximately 3 months, if the painting passes the thumb test, you can varnish.

Another option is to just go ahead and apply a thin layer of Dammar, for dull spots, a second layer.

contumacious

The tell is whether the thicker parts are firm to the touch when pressed with your thumbnail. If they are still soft it is not advisable to varnish over it. This issue comes up frequently for myself, as well as others. You need a unifying glaze but don’t want to use plain oils or other materials that can yellow and darken over time and also take too long to dry.

After finding an older post on WC where the folks at Gamblin say it is an acceptable practice to use Galkyd like a unifying glaze / oiling out / varnish, giving a permanent sheen unifying layer, I tried it and found it works really well. The work is usually dry enough to send out to the customer or a gallery overnight or in two to three days tops. Using heat will shorten that time significantly.

https://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1448786&highlight=galkyd

https://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1450443&highlight=galkyd

Be aware of the following:

[*]This is a PERMANENT layer – you won’t be able remove it like Gamvar.
                  [*]Keep it as thin as you can to get the results you want
                  [*]Galkyd may impart a slightly warm tone similar to Damar Varnish. Galkyd Lite less so than regular Galkyd.
                  [*]Unlike Linseed and some other oils as well as Damar Varnish, it won’t darken much if at all over time. What you see now is basically how it will look years from now.
                  [*]If you see color coming off as you apply it, your painting needs to dry longer.
                  [*]Don’t go solely on what you read here or elsewhere. Test it well yourself before using on an important piece.
                  [*]Other alkyd products may work but check with the maker first.
                Thinky

Humbaba :thumbsup: really appreciate your suggestions. I’ll look into these ideas. I cannot wait 3 months this time, but I’ll keep your idea in mind for the future, thank you so much!

Contumacious, :thumbsup: It’s so good to hear from you. You’re very knowledgeable and experienced! Thank you for all your great advice, you bring up so many things I haven’t thought of, this is so helpful!

contumacious

Humbaba :thumbsup: really appreciate your suggestions. I’ll look into these ideas. I cannot wait 3 months this time, but I’ll keep your idea in mind for the future, thank you so much!

Contumacious, :thumbsup: It’s so good to hear from you. You’re very knowledgeable and experienced! Thank you for all your great advice, you bring up so many things I haven’t thought of, this is so helpful!

You are welcome. One thing I did forget to mention is the Galkyd will not soften / dissolve later if turpentine or other strong solvents are used on top, like Damar Varnish can.

Humbaba

Stand oil is quite safe for oiling out, robust, flexible, and does not yellow, it becomes part of the painting, adding brilliancy to colors.

Galkyd contains a resin that is brittle and yellows.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.