Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting The Technical Forum Mixing Oil Paint Brands

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    alpha101

Hello Wet Canvasers!

I’m curious about everyone’s opinion on mixing oil paint brands. I am torn between wanting to buy premium brand oil paints and my bank account saying ‘don’t you do it.’

So…. has anyone blended say a mid-grade brand (Winsor & Netwon, Gamblin, etc.) with a “premium” brand like Old Holland or Williamsburg to change the mass tone of the available paint you have on hand (i.e. Cadmium Red Light, Cobalt Blue, etc.)?

I have to say W&N and Gamblin have some very nice paints, but I’d be denying if Old Holland and Williamsburg don’t have nice paints as well, especially in terms of mass tone. Being I can’t exclusively paint with premium paints, do you think it’s realistic to blend the premium with the mid-range to stretch my paint/money so to speak?

Anonymous

do you think it’s realistic to blend the premium with the mid-range to stretch my paint/money so to speak?

It is quite normal, reasonable, and customary to do that.

JCannon

They are all intermixable. On rare occasions, you’ll run into a slight difficulty. For example, a pthalo green from a top manufacturer will be highly pigmented; if you mix it with an ochre from a student line, you’ll probably find that a little of the green goes a LONG way.

Some student paints feel waxy or plastick-y. But they will still intermix with the best paints.

Gigalot

You can even mix Chinese Phthalo Blue and Phthalo Green with any premium branded paint blobs. Just add Phthalo to premium Ochre but do not add premium Ochre to Phthalo blue blobs!
                    BTW, Made in China Yellow Ochre is fine grade paint! :thumbsup:

kinasi

You can mix anything you want.

Just because a brand uses more pigment doesn’t mean it’s therefore better, it just depends on preference. Underbinding paint and stuffing paint tubes full of pigment is a recent thing, paint from the 15th through the 18th century was incredibly oily and low on pigment, they didn’t have industrial dispersion machines until the industrial revolution.

TomMather

My paint box is filled with tubes from at least a half-dozen manufacturers, and I intermix them freely. I’ve never had an issue with it.

Skip the cost of Old Holland…they aren’t what they use to be! Williamsburg is excellent and my most used brand. I have at least 8 different brands that I use, but primarily WB. Gamblin has some really lovely colors. I am no longer buying WN, they have changed as well. Pigment load and quality are important to me. I mix different brands and have never had an issue…I do stay away from student grade because of too many added fillers. Gamblin isn’t student grade, so you would have quality paint at a lower cost. Watch for the “sales” on these paints at Jerry’s (often getting free shipping and no tax outside of NC). Wishing you the best in your painting adventure.

Angel :angel:
                            Website Makeover Coming! This is available now.
                            http://www.artist-bythesea.com/

alpha101

Skip the cost of Old Holland…they aren’t what they use to be! Williamsburg is excellent and my most used brand. I have at least 8 different brands that I use, but primarily WB. Gamblin has some really lovely colors. I am no longer buying WN, they have changed as well. Pigment load and quality are important to me. I mix different brands and have never had an issue…I do stay away from student grade because of too many added fillers. Gamblin isn’t student grade, so you would have quality paint at a lower cost. Watch for the “sales” on these paints at Jerry’s (often getting free shipping and no tax outside of NC). Wishing you the best in your painting adventure.

Thanks for the input! Gamblin is definitely my favorite brand. The colors are brighter than most other brands I have seen – which matters a lot to me. I also feel like I can get great quality paint at a ‘working artist’s price’ where I am free to explore artistically without being scared to use my paints due to high costs.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.