Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    SunsetSue

This is what is currently on my easel. I am not used to painting wildlife so am a bit lost. There is so much still to do but would appreciate any comments and criticisms, tips or feedback. I got great advice on the eyes, not sure I achieved what everyone told me but they seem much better now. This is acrylics on canvas.

Sue Ellen Cowan[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

"To create one's own world in any of the arts takes courage." - Georgia O'keefe

Great going, Sue. I’ve placed the 2 photos next to each other so you can see where you need to adjust. Take note of the shading from eyes to nose.

Christel

Ellis Ammons

Nice work Sue. Very good work on the eyes.

The biggest difference I see from the photo is the darkest darks throughout the wolf. Like how to black ears and fur frame the face in the reference. Look at the shapes of just the black/darks and compare them to your wolf. A trick is to squint and bounce your eyes back and forth to the reference. Once you’ve trained your eye you will start to notice little differences more and more. Putting the darks down in the right spot is usually step 1. That is how form is built and your subject will appear before you sooner. Detail and lights are usually reserved for later layers.

There really are no rules with acrylics though. Thats what I love about them. There are no mistakes. Only more layers and depth. Happy painting :)

Check out my work in the acrylics Hall of Fame Camellia WIP
            oil and acrylic paintings..

fedetony

:)… good advice there… :)

Federico Garcia
                My Blog
                C&C always welcome :D

"...when someone gives a critique of your work, fear not. It usually means they like or care more of your work than when they just pat your back." - Tiago

Triduana

Good advice from Christel and Ellis. Your work on the fur is beautiful.

Kay D - Edinburgh, Scotland

So long, and thanks ...

SunsetSue

Thank you Christel and Ellis, I totally see what is my worst mistake, I have been using a printout of the reference photo that has the fur very silvery grey when it is not. Now I need to find a fix and a color mix to get it right. Thankfully acrylics are forgiving and can be painted over many, many times lol

It’s going well, and having the photo ref beside it, will make a big difference for you to see the darkest darks and the lightest lights.

Moderator: Animal & Wildlife, Floral & Botanical, Watermedia

SunsetSue

This is where I am at after several weeks of not being able to paint due to real life getting in the way. I am going to add in more darks in the legs and work on getting the fur clumps looking more like clumps. Thanks Vivien and everyone else who has followed this and given helpful suggestions. Your input always makes me look at things from a different perspective and it is always much appreciated.

jonc50

Very nice work.

djbuds

Looking good, nice job on the hair to.

C&C are always welcome
                                    Donna

KareBear94

He’s beautiful :)

SunsetSue

Thank you. This is my final version. I think I am ready to sign it now.

Triduana

That looks great Sue, the fur is beautiful and I like the plant in the foreground too, I especially like how the petals match the eyes. :)

Kay D - Edinburgh, Scotland

So long, and thanks ...

Well done, Sue!

Christel

SunsetSue

Thanks so much Kay and Christel. I am sure that my customer will like it now.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.