Home Forums Explore Media Photography The Darkroom Darkroom Topic Challenge, #59, Effective Cropping, Sept 23 – Oct 6, 2018

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • Author

WC Darkroom Topic Challenge (C&C’s encouraged but not required)

Topic : Effective Cropping (for this challenge please post BEFORE and AFTER photographs)
    Each entry will have 2 photos in it. Please post the BEFORE Image FIRST and then the CROPPED image second.
    )

Yes, I know they say to compose inside of camera BEFORE you take the photo, but how many times have you posted a photo SOOTC without cropping it? Come on, be honest.

Cropping is the removal of space(s) from photographs to improve the quality of the image. We use cropping to remove unwanted details, add drama, zero in on the subject, improve the composition, and much more.

Here are some links that provide helpful hints on making the most of your cropping tool.

https://www.companyfolders.com/blog/cropping-photos

http://www.digital-photo-secrets.com/tip/3497/cropping-101/

This Challenge will end October 6, 2018

Guidelines:
    1) All photos submitted must be yours.
    2) All entries are to be posted directly by each member into this thread in the DARKROOM.
    3) You may post more than one image, however, please submit only one photo per post.
    4) We hope that his activity inspires you to shoot new images and not just pull from your archives. However, images from your archives WILL be allowed as long as your image has NOT been previously posted on Wet Canvas.
    5) You may use software to manipulate or enhance your images.
    6) Since this activity is running in the Darkroom Forum, Comments and Critiques are allowed and encouraged but not mandatory. Anyone, regardless of experience, can offer his/her reaction to a photo, because most of those posting in the Darkroom would appreciate your C&C.
    7) Please keep comments and critiques constructive.
    8) Every other Sunday, a new topic challenge will begin.

Photography is the art of observation. It has little to to with the things you see and everything to do with the way you see them. Elliott Erwitt
    Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II, Zuiko 14-150 mm zoom, Zuiko 2.8 60mm macro, Sigma 2.8 Fish Eye. Nikon D5100

maryinasia

great idea! looking forward to seeing these.

Anonymous

I agree – this should be fun, open to anyone since the subject is unlimited, and instructive.

Thank you both for posting your reaction to the topic. I always try to make the topic in the Darkroom more than an object that you have to go looking for. I hope to challenge us to improve our skills.

Posting your reactions to my ideas, good or bad, helps me keep on track and stay motivated.

LORELL

Photography is the art of observation. It has little to to with the things you see and everything to do with the way you see them. Elliott Erwitt
            Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II, Zuiko 14-150 mm zoom, Zuiko 2.8 60mm macro, Sigma 2.8 Fish Eye. Nikon D5100

frodron

This is my entry although the resulting shot might be better with the background removed
                Not sure if that would be allowed

Cherish yesterday,dream tomorrow,live today

Anonymous

That is definitely effective cropping in action, Ron. Nice example.

I consider rotation/skewing/perspective correction as parts of my cropping adjustments. In this example (taken behind a sushi place to document the eyesore of the trash they leave visible), I cropped, rotated, and skewed. The rotation and skewing to correct lines that should be horizontal and vertical, and the cropping solely for composition.

1) the original…

2) the cropped, skewed, rotated version (with other typical adjustments such as Curves and localized sharpening and vibrance/saturation)…

Rich

Good one Ron! A great example.

I’m with you Dave! Straighten the verticals too!

My postcard photo from last fall. Wide angle and shooting upward.

Final product.

Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless. –Mother Teresa
                        Cameras Canon SX160IS, SX740HS ELPH 170IS Photoshop Elements 2021, Topaz Studio, Adjust, and Simplify
                        Website http://rich-stedman.pixels.com

Dreamin

Pretty lady, Ron. Nice crop, although I might have not done it quite so tightly.

Hi, Dave. It sure does bring your main topic into the COI

Rich, very well done straighten and crop. Love that building!

Natalie

Rich

Good crop Natalie. The diagonal branches entering the photo is a nice touch. Too bad the horse on the right is not facing the same way, however, with the horse in that direction it creates some tension in the scene which otherwise would be quite pastoral. I like the misty background which adds to the interest.

Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless. –Mother Teresa
                                Cameras Canon SX160IS, SX740HS ELPH 170IS Photoshop Elements 2021, Topaz Studio, Adjust, and Simplify

frodron

Hi Lorell,
                                    The reason why it is cropped so tightly is to remove most of the intrusive background.
                                    That is why I considered removing the background altogether but as I said I didn’t know whether that would be allowed.

Cherish yesterday,dream tomorrow,live today

Ron,
                                    There were no rules which said that you could only use the cropping tool. You can use all the tools in your tool box. I actually think that your original was a nice crop with the subject being slightly offset, but have to omit that when I looked at the original, my view roamed around the composition looking at background. Both good portraits.

Rich,
                                    Wow, what a difference. Straigtening the sides of the building made the image brochure quality.

Dave,
                                    Your crop somehow accentuated the lines on the building making it very interesting. Good work. I do wish that the subject was something more pleasant to look at. But your technique and outcome demonstrated that you can even make garbage look more attractive.

Natalie,
                                    Big improvement. The crop created some frames that didn’t seem to exist in the original. Your crop accentuated the foreground, I love the small horse framed by the tree on the right and the background now looks more interesting and becomes more than just the background but the third element of the composition.

Lorell

I am going to break the rules by cropping my photo TWICE and posting two “post” images.

Here’s the original:

Crop 1(square crop):

Crop 2:

I think cropping is fun!

Quint

Nice crops. The cows are like the ones I have next door. Glad the neighbor farmer fixed his fence.

Here’s my shot I took last year.

Quint Nikon Coolpix 990, Nikon Coolpix P60, Nikon D7000, Nikkor, 35/f1.8, Nikkor 18-140, Nikon SB700 Speedlight.

Rich

Lorell, The square crop is perfect for this image by isolating the subject. Be careful on the cloning process. When I was teaching a Photoshop class I always cautioned my students not to use the clone brush as a paint brush as repeating patterns are like a flashing red light to the eye that says “Photoshopped.”

Close up with half the steers face is interesting for sure. He is giving us the evil eye!

Steve, now that is a crop! Well done!

Anonymous

Nice correction, Rich.

Natalie, I like this. I agree that the overhanging limb adds a alot.

Lorell, you’re not breaking the rules, merely interpreting them artistically. Nice set; I like the mood I’m sensing of rich light on a late Midwestern afternoon. BTW, on my “behind the sushi place” shot, I knew it was an ugly subject. I was taking it only to send to the leasing company as a complaint about all the trash and cigarette butts the employees leave. But I figured I might as well use it as an example of cropping for a better composition.

Quint, Rich is right – that is a heckuva crop. And it works very well.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.