Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting Finger Painting with oil

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    AJRHINO

Hi Everyone. I’m a student of art who started painting/pastelling in April of last year. I have done every single painting outside of art class on my live stream on Twitch. Basically, I like having company during those long hours at the easel and I have built a small following that enjoys watching me paint…for better or worse. I always try to encourage people to pick up a brush and give it a go.

So two weeks ago I started finger painting with oil and I fell in love with it. I’ve been doing mostly space scenes….galaxies/nebulas and sunsets. It’s been a blast and people seem to like it. i even started a youtube channel called Fun With Finger Painting. I have been obsessed with improving and love going to the two weekly art classes I take where I’m learning how to draw, color theory, mixing, etc.

I’ll never stop painting with a brush, but I have to say that finger painting is a blast. I looked on Youtube to see if there were any videos out there and there are very few which is why I set up the channel.

I’d like to know if you guys know of any courses or workshops that are devoted to finger painting as I’d be interested in a class.

If anyone is interested is looking at my work….

My Youtube Channel. There’s only one time lapse up there but there’s lots more to come.

I stream on the Twitch Creative Network RhinoMaxTV. This is something I would definitely recommend checking out as there are tons of artists learning and sharing. I haven’t watched TV in months.

Thanks for any info and I love wet canvas. It has truly been a great resource for me as you guys are so knowledgeable and the work you show is off the charts incredible.

Pinguino

Indeed. But just for the benefit of other readers: Some oil paints are inherently non-toxic, others (mostly depending on pigment) are inherently toxic. Modern pigments, if toxic, usually are not well-absorbed through skin, but I personally wouldn’t take a chance. Best to stick to known non-toxic pigments.

~JMW~

I agree Non toxic , or gloves..just to be safe..

~Joy~

AnnieA

If you’re concerned about the toxicity of your oil paints, you might also consider Color Shapers (https://www.dickblick.com/products/colour-shapers-tools/). They come in different shapes and hardnesses and are made of a rubbery material that can move paint around much as a fingertip might. Probably the soft tips would be what you want. There also are Color Shapers for children available with shorter handles that might more closely approximate the experience of painting with fingers. Pastel artists sometimes use rubber “finger cots” that cover just the fingertips for blending, and those might work too, although I think they may have raised areas that could interfere with mark-making.

I can still remember being a kid and absolutely loving the wonderful colorful and tactile experience of finger painting, so I can understand the appeal. :)

[FONT=Arial]C&C always welcome ©[/I] [/font]
                    [FONT=Palatino]
                    “Life is a pure flame and we live by an invisible sun within us.” ― Sir Thomas Browne [/size][/font]

http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/29-Jul-2007/85002-sig-thumbnail_composite_2.jpg]/img]

Wetcanvas is about showing your art, not directing members off-site. Please read the wetcanvas rules on solicitation. Link in my signature.

Doug

We must leave our mark on this world

Pinguino

Wetcanvas is about showing your art, not directing members off-site. Please read the wetcanvas rules on solicitation. Link in my signature.

Doug

I assume that Doug refers to the off-site links in the original question. Agreed. On the other hand, the above link to a product offered at Dick Blick is legit, especially since Blick is a WC sponsor.

Yes I was referring to the original poster.

Doug

Michaelshane

I paint with my fingers…

Someday everything is going to be different,when I paint my masterpiece.
                            Bob Dylan.

AJRHINO

I tried posting pictures. I couldn’t get it to work from my phone. Sizes were off or something.

You can get resizing apps, I have one on my Android phone “Photo & Picture Resizer” works well.

I create an 800×600 copy for uploading.

Doug

Ale2018

I really liked your painting!
                                    Congratulations! :thumbsup:

Alexandre George
                                    Just an amateur artist trying to learn the noble art!

AJRHINO

Hi Everyone. I finally got my pictures resized and uploaded. Sorry about the mistake earlier. These are all finger paintings. The big one of the nebula isn’t complete yet, and the abstracts are an 8 part series for a commission.

the nebula is 32×32 oil on canvas
                                        the abstracts are 24×24 oil on canvas
                                        the other two are 12×16 oil on canvas

I love finger painting and appreciate all of the advice towards safety, and I’ve tried some of those products. I really prefer using my fingers without any protection. I believe the most dangerous is the cadmium but I’m using Gamblin which isn’t really dangers as far as I’ve read. I also smoke a pack a day which is supposed to have 100x more cadmium per pack. I am open to trying new things but nothing really has worked for me yet. Thanks again and I love wet canvas as it has been a tremendous resource for me over the last year.

AJRHINO

[IMG]http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/12-Jun-2018/1101062-image.jpeg[/IMG] I paint with my fingers…

I love this.

ptrkgmc

What a good idea, no brushes!!! How do you keep paint off your nose tho?

ptrkgmc

Opps double post!!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.