Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting Photorealism with Oil

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    Ellis Ammons

Hello all:wave:
        Please hold your opinions :). I am looking for info on how to produce photorealism with oil at the highest level. It’s very difficult to find. I guess people don’t want to share their secrets. Does anyone have some videos or instructional videos or inspirational videos of photorealism on youtube or somewhere I can download? Maybe a detailed step by step webpage?

Also I’m not talking about gigantic blown up paintings that are shrunk down on the intenet to look like a photo. But objects that are life sized and look like photos.

I want to improve my technical skill and I think learning photorealism would be a great tool for the tool chest.

Thanks

Check out my work in the acrylics Hall of Fame Camellia WIP
        oil and acrylic paintings..

Richard P

You could read Kyle Surgess’s blog. He paints life sized objects with tiny brushes and describes some of the processes he uses:

https://www.nitpickyartist.com/blog

Dcam

AlanP is a real master and I hope he tunes in.

One of my NYU profs was Idelle Weber. One of the most famous Photorealist women in the world. Unfortunately she would not teach us the craft, she was so into us finding our own path in style.

Richard P

If she had and it wasn’t your style you might have given up.. which would be a sad loss for us all :)

sandman_us

Two artists that immediately come to mind are Mark Carder (http://www.drawmixpaint.com) and Michael James Smith (https://michaeljamessmith.com). They both have tutorial videos published on youtube.

Ellis Ammons

@Derek.. yea I guess it’s like getting the master chefs secret ingredient. Just something people take to the grave. I remember Alan posting a WIP or 2 I’ll have to see if I can find them.

@Richard.. Thank you for the suggestion. I think I’ve seen his work on here before.

@sandman.. Carder isn’t a photorealist. He works in realism which is different. Where you don’t paint the small details. Merely the suggestion. Smith seems to be photorealistic to some extent but not the highest level. To much tap tapping trees.. Everything in the distance. Thank your for the suggestions though

Ellis Ammons

Here is one video I found that is more what I’m looking for but it’s in a foreign language and I wouldn’t call it highest level necessarilly. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0ay3Bq1tE0

Dru Blair – airbrush. and Heather Rooney – colored pencil are 2 artists I think are the highest level of photorealism. But they don’t work in oils. Both are on youtube if you want to see some amazing work.

shadwell

it isn’t that no one wants to teach it ,, it is the fact that it couldn’t be taught in one book or many videos as it is hugely involved including many many skills that would take forever and a day ,, they are good because they put the hours , days , weeks , months , years and decades into their art and every journey starts with the first step such as basics how light falls on things the biggest thing is training the eye to notice every little detail , shape colour etc etc … I’m friends with a realist that spends quite a bit on studio gear to achieve the minute details that make a huge difference , such as magnifiers , daylight lighting , photography studio lighting ,, a large turnover in expensive minute detail brushes ,, installing windows on the best light gathering side of his studio , I could have lied and said watch a video , but truth is it’ll be hundreds of videos , and many years ,, and be prepared to work for months on one painting putting many hours a day in inbetween drying times

[FONT=Fixedsys]if at first you don't succede !!!![/COLOR]
                                    [FONT=Fixedsys]give skydiving a miss !![/COLOR]

[FONT=Fixedsys]
                                    Delofasht

Did you see this guy’s work?

I personally feel that the color saturation is pushed a bit higher than reality might be, but otherwise several of his work show you exactly the same process. Color match the next stroke exactly, place it properly, repeat, and be sure to control edges very carefully to avoid impastos that might detract from the realistic representation.

- Delo Delofasht
                                        Humbaba

To achieve what you want you need to take a serious look to the materials you use. Instead of cotton canvas, the support should be wood panel, or Linen, a good selection of fine detail brushes, artist oil paint, good drawing skills, magnification glass, the best medium and varnish, including stand oil, a comfortable mahl stick, and patience, lots of patience.

Good luck.

WFMartin

Did you see this guy’s [URL=https://www.youtube.com/user/cassarotticassarotti/featured]work[/URL]?

I personally feel that the color saturation is pushed a bit higher than reality might be, but otherwise several of his work show you exactly the same process. Color match the next stroke exactly, place it properly, repeat, and be sure to control edges very carefully to avoid impastos that might detract from the realistic representation.

Wow…..That guy’s method is incredible, actually!

Notice the way he sort of “sneaks up” on creating specific areas of the face? Some would likely accuse him of being “indecisive”, I suppose, in his placement of brush strokes, but I’m definitely not one of them.

Notice the blending, modeling, shaping, that he does with each stroke? None of that, “a-stroke-laid-is-a-stroke-stayed” concept by this guy! He applies the paint with a stroke or two, but then he employs the same brush for the smooshing, and pulling the paint around to blend his fresh stoke into the previous stroke, or strokes. Many artists who think badly of this approach often call painters like this guy, “lickers”, as a derogatory term. This means that they prefer to blend and move the paint around after having applied it. Personally, I love that method, and I use it all the time, and for nearly every type of subject. I am definitely a “licker”, and quite proud of the work that I accomplish by using that method.:lol:

This guy was working with paint that had been conditioned with just the optimum amount of medium to flow precisely the way he required it for the fact he was painting. Not too stiff, and not too runny.

Notice the small, flat, bright, or filbert brushes that he uses? It is the use of these relatively small brushes that helps prevent the “carved granite” appearance to which I often refer. It is the use of larger brushes, and the absence of blending that creates such a carved granite look. These small brushes actually make the face appear like real skin–pores, and all!

I totally enjoyed that video, and I’d paint like that guy in a heartbeat, if I could. Heck, perhaps I CAN now, because I’ve learned so much from that video! Excellent!

Thank you so very much, Delofasht ! !

wfmartin. My Blog "Creative Realism"...
                                                https://williamfmartin.blogspot.com

Delofasht

Bill, you are most welcome. I have a method of applying one edge with a stroke, and blending out the other side of the stroke. My strokes and brushes are bigger than this guy, but I don’t want the level of hyperrealism he is employing. Still though, I do appreciate the skill and work involved in his paintings.

- Delo Delofasht
                                                    Raffless

Hello all:wave:
                                                        Please hold your opinions :).

Im trying hard to Ellis. :)

This is a real marmite subject.

Perhaps the Billy Pappas story affected me too much. I contacted him asking how he felt spending 81/2 years on the most photorealist drawing ever ever. He said never again and has gone back to working in a restaraunt.

There are great photorealist or hyperealists out there. I think Alan is the best person to ask here only because he shares his thoughts on the procesd rather than the outcome which most artists prefer to do.

Alan P. in OC

Hello all,
                                                            I haven’t been posting recently (dealing with health issues and multiple doctor visits for the first time in my life) and have not been painting as much as I’d like, but since my name has been brought up a few times I thought I’d chime in.

Sorry to say Ellis I have never found 1 source for ‘photorealism instruction’. I’ve found, going back 6-7 years to the beginning of my painting odyssey, many good painters willing to share info as to their style and workflow even though their finished product wasn’t necessarily photorealistic.

That’s basically the story of my life; take a tip here, a technique there, mix it up with a whole lot of trial and error, and just push on with the task at hand and make the next painting better than the last one. Learn from your mistakes and always make the next one bigger and better in all aspects. Always set yourself up for success, if you need a tool, go buy it, don’t give yourself any excuse to screw something up:). Take your time. Accept that today’s hard work yielded a square inch of painting finished – or less. Accept that the painting you’re working on may be done by next Christmas, or maybe not. Get the best reference photos. Take 200 pictures, edit them, get multiple copies developed, in different exposures (to see shadows better, etc.) Use the best supports, paints, brushes, etc. that you can afford.
                                                            Make mistakes. Then fix them.

I can go on, but this probably ain’t helping anybody:). Look at my few WIP threads, study the pictures, and ask me questions, if it’ll help. I may not be in the best of health right now but I’m still (relatively) young and kicking and still read WetCanvas every day.

Gonna get back to painting a kiwi now, good luck Ellis! You’ve been producing great work, keep it up and you won’t need any advice or video from anyone:).

Ellis Ammons

Thanks Alan. That health stuff is real bummer. I hope you get better. Maybe you should create an instructional video when you feel better.

@Delo.. I’ve seen Millani’s portraits before Delo. It is very fine work. But you can still tell they are paintings. There are artists who will paint pores and all on a life sized subject. And you can’t tell if it’s a painting or not. I was more impressed by his drawing skills.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 57 total)
                                                              • The topic ‘Photorealism with Oil’ is closed to new replies.