Home Forums The Learning Center Color Theory and Mixing Aureoline py150 vs trns. yellow py128

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    ruthi

Hi, I was given an almost full tube of oil paint Aureoline py150 (Rembrandt) and would like to know if it is significantly different from the WN transparent yellow py128 which I had been planning to buy.
        Has anyone got an idea? Thanks

Pinguino

I don’t have PY150, but I do have PY128 (Rembrandt rather than WN). PY128 has high chroma, is a very yellow-yellow, and is very transparent. Rather low tinting strength.

I looked up PY150 in a database, and it seems to be less transparent, slightly leaning orange, and of less chroma.

In short, they are two different things. I use PY128 when I wish to make a slight hue adjustment in that hue range. It is very good for that purpose. It might be OK for those who do CMYK painting with transparents, but it does not have enough horsepower to modify colors such as the cadmiums, and is easily overwhelmed by the phthalos.

ruthi

It is indeed semi transparent and orangy, unless mixed with a lot of white. Thanks a lot

Patrick1

PY128 and PY150 (Nickel Azo Yellow) are very different. PY128 is a high chroma, transparent bright yellow – a good choice as a primary mixing yellow. You can add Titanium White if you need it to be more opaque.

Nickel Azo is even more transparent which is why you it looks so deep and brownish in masstone, but is a moderately-high chroma middle yellow in undertone and tints. It’s like two colors in one (very duo-toned). It might be considered the darkest yellow. Great for dark & deep mixed greens and other mixes.

opainter

PY150 and PY128 are both “yellow,” and both are transparent. This is where the similarities end. PY150 is known as a “brown yellow” because it is very brown directly out of the tube and somewhat brown even when tinted with a lot of white. You should not see any brown in PY128, whether it is directly out of the tube or tinted with a lot of white. So these two colors are quite different. Both of these colors could find a place on the same palette.

AJ (opainter), C&C always welcome
                        :::: Helpful links for new users: User Agreement || Reference Images || C&C Suggestions || Color Theory and Mixing (color theory and color selection) || Full List of Forums
                        :::: Painting Blog with an article now and then

KeeverMacLeod

Neither of them are particularly strong in the oil medium. Nickel Azo Yellow is stronger than Azo Condensation, I think, and it’s cheaper. From experience, I’d say they’re more useful as glazing colors. Everything overpowers them, it seems like. That’d be why nearly everyone’s oil palette contains cadmium yellow, yellow ochre, and maybe some form of naples yellow.

PY128 isn’t PY150 by any means. PY128 is far brighter and greener. It’ll mix some outrageous greens. PY150 brightens to a handsome yellow, but nothing high chroma. It’s cheaper in the long run if you buy Winsor and Newton’s.

ruthi

Thanks for all the replies, you’ve been a great help.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                              • The topic ‘Aureoline py150 vs trns. yellow py128’ is closed to new replies.