Home Forums Explore Media Clay Tacky paintvarnish

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Maric

I made some figures with super sculpey. After the baking, some days later i painted them with acrylics but they turned out tacky even though the paint had dried. I let them some days but nothing. I coated them with varnish hoping for the tackiness to go way but still nothing -_-
        I used the same paints and varnish on a figure made with air dry clay and it’s fine.
        What’s the problem with polymer clay figures??
        I have read that dust and “oil” from hands stuck on baked figure or not fully baked figure may cause this. Is there anything else ? Please help me

tc93

Hi, I use acrylic paint on polymer clay all the time and have not had any issues. I think generally they work, but I have heard a few brand combinations (clay / paint) just don’t do well together. I don’t use super sculpey so not familiar with issues specific to that.

You don’t mention what kind of sealer you tried, but most spray sealers from what I have heard are not compatible with polymer clay.

Definitely make sure you are not underbaking (always a good idea whether you are painting or not).

Sheryl

Clear nail polish will react with the clay and stay tacky. Perhaps, some finishes with the same base will also. I have used Future acrylic floor finish with great success. It was recommended to me by a few other polymer clay users who had problems with sealants staying tacky. It’s some kind of chemical reaction, I think.

sherylgallant.ca
                - "As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord." - Joshua 24:14

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.