Home Forums Explore Media Woodcraft Dulcimer

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    pugwash

I usually hang out in the soft pastel forum but I spotted this forum so I thought I’d show you my latest instrument which I built in my garden workshop.
        An hourglass shape 4 string dulcimer, Tasmanian oak back and sides, Red cedar soundboard with “moon and stars” sound holes, Jarrah head, Queen Ebony fretboard with inlaid pearl position markers cut to resemble the phases of the moon.

Pugwash.
        facebook: Clive Quinn Art.

Never criticise Australia Post. One day they might find out where you live!

Hello Clive … welcome!

How cool is that! Right up my alley as they say. I’m considering building a violin. Have you any photos of the build?

Just beautiful work.

Beautifully done, a real work of art.

Doug

We must leave our mark on this world

Bill

Clive, an instrument after my own heart. I have an old McSpadden that I play and I’m planning on building one of my own. Yours is beautiful.
            Bill

Be kinder than necessary

pugwash

Thanks Bill, building your own is way more fun than playing someone else’s.
                Thanks Doug, I’m a Yorky too, living in Australia now.

Pugwash.

pugwash

Hi Ken, here are some photos from the builds of various dulcimers. I’ll post some more later.

Cutting Tasmanian oak on the bandsaw with the magnetic guide.

Putting timber through the sander thicknesser. I love this machine!

All the bits to make one dulcimer sanded to the correct thickness. The moulds used for construction are on the right.

Pugwash.

pugwash

Bending the sides using an electric bending iron and a damp sponge. I can’t tell you how many sides I broke in my early attempts. I like the curves to be smooth and “sexy”.

The two sides are clamped into the moulds. Woodworkers adage: “You can never have too many clamps”

Head and tailpiece glued in. Internal bracing (Cedar) fitted and linings glued in with special lining clamps.
                        My wife keeps stealing these to hang out washing with, she calls them “Pegs”. Strange woman! Notice I decant my glue into tomato sauce bottles!

Pugwash.

Dalboy

Amazing build thank you for the WIP nice to see how others make a variety of different things

pugwash

Three dulcimers almost ready for varnishing.
                                Walnut with cedar top, heart sound holes, and abalone position dots.
                                Tasmanian Oak with Airedale Terrier soundholes and Sheoak fretboard with pearl dots.
                                Tasmanian oak with heart sound holes and Jarrah fretboard with silver pearl dots.

Pugwash.

David Stanley

Beautiful workmanship and design.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.