WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Plein Air
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

View Poll Results: What Plein Air Equipment do you use?
Soltek System 17 4.09%
Gorilla 48 11.54%
Alla Prima 38 9.13%
Coulter Plein Air Syster 5 1.20%
Sun Eden Plein Air System 3 0.72%
Open Box M 31 7.45%
Billups Box 0 0%
Easy L 30 7.21%
Julian Easel 39 9.38%
French Easel (Julian imitation) 48 11.54%
Other Pochade Box (purchased) 35 8.41%
Other Pocade Box (home made) 65 15.63%
Other 57 13.70%
Voters: 416. You may not vote on this poll

Our Sponsors

#61   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-16-2012, 03:25 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States
Re: Plein Air Equipment

I usually just take an old messanger bag my daughter didnt want packed with a a small block of WC paper, a watercolor moleskine book, my paint box loaded with half pans, a couple of travel brushes, and a pencil bag with drawing pencils and a few watercolor pencils. This has been ok so far. But, I bought a 9 X 12 Pochade box from Judsons with a tripod a few years ago, it has just sat unused till now. So I am working on getting used to using this box. I have been taking it out to the field behind my house and painting the trees and junk car as practice to see if I need to do anything else to the box. I think I have the bbox kitted out the way I like but I need lots more practice painting plein aire.

Saint Ragdoll
  #62   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-16-2012, 04:08 PM
Lord of the Arts
Idaho, USA

Hails from United States
The Minimalist

I was all set up at a paintout a few years ago when this lady appeared. She held a stretched canvas in her left hand. She used it to hold down a paper plate that served as a palette. She found a rock to sit on. That was it.
Bob Bissett - http://www.buildart.com/rare.htm Paint America, Top 100 Winner; Am. Art Collector, Sep 08, page 96-97. http://www.buildart.com/blog.htm For now: Acrylics with Nova Slow Dry Matte Liquid or Golden Open or Old Holland; Artisan or Oils with Liquin; Canon G9 & Nikon D70. http://www.buildart.com/secret_of_wa...xable_oils.htm Review & Youtube demos. http://www.buildart.com/ice_free_earth_now.htm
  #63   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-16-2012, 10:13 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States

Wow, minimal. What did her painting look like?
Just goes to show it isnt the latest greatest equipment that creates the art, it is the person.

Saint Ragdoll
  #64   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-17-2012, 06:01 AM
A WC! Legend
EUROPE

Hails from Austria

I allways carry a iron bench & a tree (shadow) with me

- the paper on my lap , left hand palette , right hand pencil , water on the right side (normal on the ground )

http://www.miklavcic.co.at/aquarelle...cape/index.htm
  #65   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-18-2012, 08:10 AM
Cleveland Ohio area

Hails from United States

I converted a small painters box to plein air by adding a tripod mount and modifying the hinge arrangement. Its lightweight, easy to handle and I've been quite happy with it.
  #66   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-18-2012, 08:16 AM
Cleveland Ohio area

Hails from United States

Egon, Your comment was a side buster! I'm laughing so hard I wiped tears from my eyes.
  #67   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-11-2012, 01:42 AM

Hails from England

I found a neat little gismo that I use all the time now. It is lightweight and small to carry and when I use oils, I use it as an extra shelf but when I do pastels...it is the shelf.

I could have saved myself a lot of money on different things if I had found this first.

http://www.easelbutler.com

Ta Tich
  #68   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-16-2012, 10:06 AM

Have found the Julian too heavy for travelling. The Julian umbrella was also not suitable for because it doesn't break down into sections. It was expensive and the clasp system poor. Am in the market for new equipment
for oils, some good ideas here!
  #69   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-21-2012, 05:26 PM

I have seen systems with a shelf that attaches to the tripod legs beneath the pochade box. They run about $60, but I was wondering if anyone had come up with way to DIY it. It would be nice to have a shelf for turp jar, misc stuff, etc. Thanks
  #70   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-22-2012, 08:46 PM
Pacific northwest

Hails from Canada

Paintergirl

I think that easel butler that Tich mentioned a couple of posts ago would be just what you are looking for. I have seen one being used along with a pochade box and he had his music box on it. And they are a lot less than $60. You could use on of your extra panel for the shelf part so you aren't bringing a lot of excess stuff. But then I guess you are not concerned about excess if you are into music add-ons

mags
  #71   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-23-2012, 10:08 AM
Memphis, TN

Hails from United States
Re: The Minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by id-art

I was all set up at a paintout a few years ago when this lady appeared. She held a stretched canvas in her left hand. She used it to hold down a paper plate that served as a palette. She found a rock to sit on. That was it.
A grey wolf came over the hill at sunset and ate the lady. When we came back in the morning and looked where she had been the canvas had blended into the landscape. Only a small hair was found, maybe it was from the woman or maybe the paint brush. Lesson to be learned: avoid minimalism, you may disappear into your canvas...... this story and other stories can be found in "Tales of Plein Air Painters" volume II.

Well, that was my best attempt at humor. I'm not clear if id-art's post was true, or just a pun?

http://matthewleestudio.com
  #72   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-01-2012, 12:13 AM

Hails from England

Quote:
Originally Posted by artistinmemphis
A grey wolf came over the hill at sunset and ate the lady. When we came back in the morning and looked where she had been the canvas had blended into the landscape. Only a small hair was found, maybe it was from the woman or maybe the paint brush. Lesson to be learned: avoid minimalism, you may disappear into your canvas...... this story and other stories can be found in "Tales of Plein Air Painters" volume II.

Well, that was my best attempt at humor. I'm not clear if id-art's post was true, or just a pun?

I love it!! Was this just to see if we were paying attention?

Ta Tich
  #73   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-03-2012, 04:03 PM
Enthusiast
Miami,FL

Hails from United States
Post Re: Plein Air Equipment

I paint mainly watercolors and not outdoor,due to health problems.But since my space is limited I use a camera tripod easel with Gatorboard(2 inter-changeable ones,one full size sheet and other half sheet size),quite similar to the one that Charles Reid uses.
Someone asked in the first page if any of these easel uses or offer the umbrella for sun protection.To the best of my knowledge the Guerrilla and the Julian French easel,both,sell the umbrella as optional accessory.
Here is a photo of my set up:

Bob

Last edited by Bobar57 : 06-03-2012 at 04:06 PM.
  #74   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-15-2012, 09:53 PM
Cleveland Ohio area

Hails from United States
Re: Mabef field easel

artistinmemphis, I have the same easel and it works great for field work. It attaches nicely to a backpack or I can strap it to my wooden pochade box.
  #75   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-16-2012, 12:26 AM
Lord of the Arts
Idaho, USA

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by artistinmemphis

My story was true! And she was able to set up in a spot you could not put a tripod.
Bob Bissett - http://www.buildart.com/rare.htm Paint America, Top 100 Winner; Am. Art Collector, Sep 08, page 96-97. http://www.buildart.com/blog.htm For now: Acrylics with Nova Slow Dry Matte Liquid or Golden Open or Old Holland; Artisan or Oils with Liquin; Canon G9 & Nikon D70. http://www.buildart.com/secret_of_wa...xable_oils.htm Review & Youtube demos. http://www.buildart.com/ice_free_earth_now.htm