WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Plein Air
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

View Poll Results: What Plein Air Equipment do you use?
Soltek System 17 4.09%
Gorilla 48 11.54%
Alla Prima 38 9.13%
Coulter Plein Air Syster 5 1.20%
Sun Eden Plein Air System 3 0.72%
Open Box M 31 7.45%
Billups Box 0 0%
Easy L 30 7.21%
Julian Easel 39 9.38%
French Easel (Julian imitation) 48 11.54%
Other Pochade Box (purchased) 35 8.41%
Other Pocade Box (home made) 65 15.63%
Other 57 13.70%
Voters: 416. You may not vote on this poll

Our Sponsors

#136   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-17-2016, 04:52 AM

Hails from United States
Re: Plein Air Equipment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilo
Hi spellbinder --

Just thought I'd point out that Judson's sells guerilla boxes, not gorilla ones.

Sorry, but that gave me a chuckle. No offense..
  #137   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-05-2017, 09:50 AM

Re: Plein Air Equipment

I need a gorilla to help me carry my box, it's too heavy. The guerillas can help.
I keep trying different boxes, systems, easels, soon I will be able to open my own art supply store. Of all the boxes though the very minimal Italian tripod winds up being the one I usually take (since it weighs the least!)
  #138   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-05-2017, 11:12 AM

Wink Re: Plein Air Equipment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alerio
I need a gorilla to help me carry my box, it's too heavy. The guerillas can help.
I keep trying different boxes, systems, easels, soon I will be able to open my own art supply store. Of all the boxes though the very minimal Italian tripod winds up being the one I usually take (since it weighs the least!)
In all seriousness, have you tried working with minimal equipment? I know, we're all addicted to buying more stuff (paint, tools, boxes, etc.) In the end some lovely paintings are done with tiny sets of media that you can fit in your pocket, weigh so little as to not feel like they are there, and have all the chroma and potential of elaborate sets and setups.

I use a Guerrilla Painter 9x12 with a tripod and other stuff I haul in a satchel mostly. But that's if I'm painting acrylics or oils and want all that stuff with me. Much of the time I'm not actually using most of it. Considering the weight and size and hauling around a folding camp chair with it, I sometimes wonder why I do this.

For travel I have a little "bun bag/fanny pack" setup that actually contains several water based media and inks. Total thing has all the water, paints/pigments, paper, etc. that I would ever really need, and I can get paper up to about 6x9" in the bag. If I carry a larger paper pad, I can do much larger paintings, too. Just need a place to sit down and a good subject.

My original watercolor set was just a tiny Cottman field box that I could put in my pocket with paper pad and a small bottle of water.

If you need a gorilla, you need to rethink your setup, IME. And I do not absent myself from the equipment addiction, so please do not take this as criticism.