WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Printmaking
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-06-2008, 09:46 AM

Hand Printed Wedding Invitations in Relief on Photopolymer Plate

I just printed approximately 100 wedding invitations using photopolymer plate. Starting with a broken exposure unit which I was lucky to be able to fix. The whole procedure was a learning experience. KM Photopolymer plate is a similar material as Solar Plate. The thicker of the two KM products KM 76 has an emulsion that is comparable in thickness to that of Solar Plate, making it ideal for flexographic or relief work on an etching press.
I destroyed the first set of plates by over developing them in the water bath. As soon as I say some of the fine 12pt. text breaking down I panicked and started to pat the plate dry with paper towel, that was my second mistake. The paper towels stuck in the softened emulsion and the towel fibers were impossible to remove completely. I only had one option rinse it off with water. I knew very well that the water would continue to develop the plate but it was worth a shot. Upon printing The Proof My Fiancé let me know that I should just try again because those prints were NOT going to be her wedding invitations. So it was back to expose a new plate with the same exposure time but I knew when to pull the plate from the water bath and had devised a plan to remove the un-exposed emulsion form the tiny pits in the closed characters in the 12pt. font. I used a air compressor to dry the plate rapidly, but what was most benificial was that the air pressure pushed the softened emulsion form the enclosed characters creating sharp edges to the font with ample relief.
Overall printing of the 2nd plate went well. The hand inking roller was a little to soft for relief with the fine detail I was working with. It was the only one large enough to print four invitations at a time. I printed on dry Arches Cover White paper with no felts. I only had a thin Non-corrugated piece of cardboard between the press drum and the paper. I printed 21 sheets with four invitations each in about 2 hours. We were cleaned up and out of the shop by 3:30 A.M.

Maybe my story will help you to avoid the mistakes I made. Hopefully an air compressor will work for you to remove photopolymer emulsion at the critical moment to create sharp lines in your photopolymer relief work.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-06-2008, 09:54 AM
A WC! Legend
Corrales, New Mexico

Hails from United States
Re: Hand Printed Wedding Invitations in Relief on Photopolymer Plate

I had to laugh when I read about the paper toweling. I gave a solar plate demo some years back and was highly embarrassed that it became a 'how NOT to do it' demo.

I hadn't thought of ganging the prints like that. That's an excellent idea for cards.

And congratulations on your upcoming? wedding...

Diane
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-06-2008, 09:57 AM
holyoke MA

Hails from United States

congradulations for the whole thing. i made mine last year using screenprinting. i am sure you have found that spending $30 for paper rather than $1000.00 to have them made in a ink-jet printer is much better.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-07-2008, 04:19 PM
A Local Legend
Edmonton, where summer is just a couple of bad weeks of skating.

Hails from Canada

Congratulations on your engagement! Looks like the invitations are spectacular.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-07-2008, 05:57 PM
Enthusiast
Cobble Hill, BC

Hails from Canada

Thanks for the info Alan & congrats! I agree - what a lovely, meaningful invitation you've created for your guests to keep.

Reduction method printing - "The Russian roulette of the printmaking world"

#6   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-08-2008, 12:55 AM
WC! Guide
Thunder Bay, Ontario

Hails from Canada

congratulations
makes sense if one has the means to make their own invites and save a lot of change

www.myprintmakingjourney.blogspot.com
visit my Etsy shop: www.etsy.com/shop/borealart
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-08-2008, 04:55 AM

Thank You all for your encouragement and support, this really is a great forum, I can already tell.

There really is some deeper meaning to the patterns used in the wedding invitations, their not just for decoration...

The inspiration is an old rocking chair that belonged to my finance's grandparents, that we know have warming our home. It came from their home, and had been there for years since their time in Pakistan and Afghanistan. Her Grandfather was an educator there, making more money than the local people could ever dream of. The government, who hired him and paid his wages, strongly encouraged that he spend the money he make from the people, locally. He did and shipped crates of furniture to family in the US for safe keeping. He had an awesome collection of artifacts. The rocking chair being one of them. One item of particular interest to me as a printmaker was a decrepit old brass Batik stamp.

The rocking chair really is a work of art, having inlaid brass detail throughout the fine wooden frame.
The Rocking chair came to us after the passing of her grandparents in the past year. We really wanted them to be present on that day so we decided that we would remember them and embody our respect and love for them in a special way.
We printed the invitations with this image in remembrance of them.

From a digital image of the inlaid brass I converted the lines in illustrator, using vectors, this gave me the basis for the invitation. From there we selected text and refined the artwork until we were satisfied to go to print. I was initially thinking that I would print by hand the response cards and a map to the site of the wedding. That didn't happen.

Happy Printing,
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-08-2008, 07:36 AM
A WC! Legend
Corrales, New Mexico

Hails from United States

What a wonderful background story for the invitations. It makes the invitation so much more personal!

Diane
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-08-2008, 12:06 PM
Enthusiast
Cobble Hill, BC

Hails from Canada

Thanks for sharing that beautiful history behind the invitation. What wonderful inspiration.

Reduction method printing - "The Russian roulette of the printmaking world"

#10   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-15-2017, 05:09 AM

Wow! That's a beautiful story.
Really original too.