WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Plein Air
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-20-2007, 12:38 PM
Bill Foehringer's Avatar
Bill Foehringer Bill Foehringer is offline
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Arizona
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 3,208
 
Hails from United States
Richard Schmid - November DVD

The library called yesterday to tell me a Schmid DVD was in so I hustled over to bring it home ASAP. They bought it!!!! Not a loaner from another library.
I watched it until late and then I realized I didn't have to stay up late because I can now check it out any time.
I bought my nephew Alla Prima softcover and he's devouring the book so tonight we'll watch the DVD.
It's really cool. I love the part where he puts a glob of horse manure, a clump of grass, a stone, and a dry twig right on his palette and then mixes the color next to the object. This is in the session the next day where he goes into more of his thinking and variations on the painting itself.
First he goes over his materials and equipment. He does talk about what he's thinking about as he paints. He doesn't always mention which colors he's mixing but if you're quick you can see which colors his brush darts to. If you miss it then there is always the replay option.
He shows how he deals with the ever-changing weather during a session.
It's fun to see him paint during a snow shower as I have.
One more point. I use pastels but demos like this are just as helpful to me. Probably a Handell pastel DVD would be that much more helpful but the overall painting process trancends the medium.
I'll be pressing the library to obtain more DVDs from more artists. I will be sure to follow-up with a big thank you also.
BillF

Last edited by Bill Foehringer : 04-20-2007 at 12:49 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-20-2007, 02:43 PM
E.Milz's Avatar
E.Milz E.Milz is offline
Veteran Member
Sweden
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 661
 
Hails from Sweden
Re: Richard Schmid - November DVD

Thanks for the info mate!

I am thinking back and forth which of Richards DVDs I should buy.
The trouble is only that they are very very expensive for me to buy from sweden. I doubt that I get my library to get them.

I only can afford to buy one DVD from him. In which of his landscape seasons I get the most info out of him, I cant buy them all even if I would love to? His book is amazing!!!!

Thanks for helping
yours
Eckhardt

Last edited by E.Milz : 04-20-2007 at 03:39 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-20-2007, 03:07 PM
Bill Foehringer's Avatar
Bill Foehringer Bill Foehringer is offline
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Arizona
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 3,208
 
Hails from United States
Re: Richard Schmid - November DVD

I've only seen the November Plein Air DVD. I'm sure others here have seen more. Maybe I'll try to get library to obtain a Handell DVD next.
BillF
Reply With Quote
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-20-2007, 03:28 PM
sundiver's Avatar
sundiver sundiver is offline
Moderator
East Coast Canada
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 19,693
 
Hails from Canada
Re: Richard Schmid - November DVD

I'm waiting for the May DVD to arrive. I ordered it based on recommendations from this forum.
Reply With Quote
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-20-2007, 03:38 PM
E.Milz's Avatar
E.Milz E.Milz is offline
Veteran Member
Sweden
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 661
 
Hails from Sweden
Re: Richard Schmid - November DVD

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundiver
I'm waiting for the May DVD to arrive. I ordered it based on recommendations from this forum.

Thank you guys!
Please keep us updated how you like them.
yours
Eckhardt
Reply With Quote
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-20-2007, 03:43 PM
mipleinair's Avatar
mipleinair mipleinair is offline
Senior Member
South Padre Island TX.
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 175
 
Hails from United States
Re: Richard Schmid - November DVD

If you want to rent the schmid dvd's smartflix has them for about 10 bucks a piece. I think june is the best one. Each one focues on somthing different. May is mostly just a demo with voice over and a good part of the painting he does in the studio from a digital photo.
Mike
Reply With Quote
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-20-2007, 04:11 PM
Bruce Newman's Avatar
Bruce Newman Bruce Newman is offline
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 3,105
 
Hails from Canada
Re: Richard Schmid - November DVD

Quote:
Originally Posted by mipleinair
If you want to rent the schmid dvd's smartflix has them for about 10 bucks a piece. I think june is the best one. Each one focues on somthing different. May is mostly just a demo with voice over and a good part of the painting he does in the studio from a digital photo.
Although I have all three and love each one, I agree with Mike and would recommend "June" if you were just going to buy one...but with "November" a close second in terms of instructional benefit. They are well worth every penny in my books.
__________________
Bruce
www.brucenewman.com

C&C appreciated. "A studio is a good place to smoke your pipe." (Joaquin Sorolla)
Reply With Quote
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-20-2007, 04:38 PM
Bill Foehringer's Avatar
Bill Foehringer Bill Foehringer is offline
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Arizona
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 3,208
 
Hails from United States
Re: Richard Schmid - November DVD

The best of the best. What would you all recommend from other artists as their best DVDs? I asked my library to obtain DVDs from Handell and Schmid but was not specific so they just picked the first Schmidt. I wonder if they will order one from Handell?
I don't think library would order more than one from each at this point. I'll have to contact the local art groups and prod them to contact library for more DVDs.
BillF
Reply With Quote
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-20-2007, 07:08 PM
E.Milz's Avatar
E.Milz E.Milz is offline
Veteran Member
Sweden
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 661
 
Hails from Sweden
Re: Richard Schmid - November DVD

Thank you all for the tips, it was very helpfull!
I will go for the june and then later for november.
cheers
Eckhardt

Ah, I forgot- Where can I order the dvds best. I checked amazon.com but they dont have the dvds?

Last edited by E.Milz : 04-20-2007 at 07:33 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-20-2007, 08:19 PM
James or Jimmy Jim James or Jimmy Jim is offline
A WC! Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 10,732
 
Hails from Canada
Re: Richard Schmid - November DVD

Get them all. Don't fight it, don't argue ... just do it - now!!

They are all good. Oil paint for the soul.
Reply With Quote
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-20-2007, 10:13 PM
meatball2006's Avatar
meatball2006 meatball2006 is offline
Senior Member
gloucester, ma
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 496
 
Hails from United States
Re: Richard Schmid - November DVD

think I'll skip the Nov. one, do'nt think i could get passed the poop part

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Foehringer
The library called yesterday to tell me a Schmid DVD was in so I hustled over to bring it home ASAP. They bought it!!!! Not a loaner from another library.
I watched it until late and then I realized I didn't have to stay up late because I can now check it out any time.
I bought my nephew Alla Prima softcover and he's devouring the book so tonight we'll watch the DVD.
It's really cool. I love the part where he puts a glob of horse manure, a clump of grass, a stone, and a dry twig right on his palette and then mixes the color next to the object. This is in the session the next day where he goes into more of his thinking and variations on the painting itself.
First he goes over his materials and equipment. He does talk about what he's thinking about as he paints. He doesn't always mention which colors he's mixing but if you're quick you can see which colors his brush darts to. If you miss it then there is always the replay option.
He shows how he deals with the ever-changing weather during a session.
It's fun to see him paint during a snow shower as I have.
One more point. I use pastels but demos like this are just as helpful to me. Probably a Handell pastel DVD would be that much more helpful but the overall painting process trancends the medium.
I'll be pressing the library to obtain more DVDs from more artists. I will be sure to follow-up with a big thank you also.
BillF
__________________
http://Art-Rocks.org
“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.”
Dr. Seuss
Reply With Quote
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-21-2007, 09:35 AM
E.Milz's Avatar
E.Milz E.Milz is offline
Veteran Member
Sweden
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 661
 
Hails from Sweden
Re: Richard Schmid - November DVD

Well, in the end I could not resist and ordered both jun and nov.
Little less to eat next month but whats the heck I hope they are great.
Thanks for the tips!!!

cheers and thanks
Eckhardt
Reply With Quote
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-21-2007, 09:53 PM
annabella2's Avatar
annabella2 annabella2 is offline
Enthusiast
the Deep South
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 1,312
 
Hails from United States
Re: Richard Schmid - November DVD

I have all three of the season DVDs, and I like the latest one, the June one, the best I think. He goes back into the studio after the demo, and does so more explanations that are very useful.
__________________
Anne Stickney
my webpage...

My blog
Reply With Quote
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-22-2007, 06:04 PM
Wayne Gaudon's Avatar
Wayne Gaudon Wayne Gaudon is offline
A WC! Legend
Mahone Bay, NS
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 18,771
 
Hails from Canada
Re: Richard Schmid - November DVD

watched 2 of Richards, thanks to Jim, and both very inspirational and down to earth clues about the art.
__________________
My Web Page
Reply With Quote
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-27-2017, 01:41 PM
hawabaz's Avatar
hawabaz hawabaz is offline
Senior Member
UK
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 183
 
Hails from Scotland
Re: Richard Schmid - November DVD

I have seen 'Schmid paints Michelle' Dvd which was really good. I feel I learn better via demonstration and I find his explanations and demo really helpful, clear. He is on the mark both with brush and insights.

I just bought two more Dvds, Landscapes ones for May and June as well as the Captain's portrait and can't wait to see them.

Also reading Alla Prima II which is fabulous.

Has anyone read his Landscapes book?
__________________
Everyone discusses my art and pretends to understand, as if it were necessary to understand, when it is simply necessary to love.
Claude Monet
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:00 AM.


© 2014 F+W All rights reserved.