WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Plein Air
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-12-2017, 02:20 PM
A Local Legend
Salt Lake City

Former Skyline Flowers

I was reading some remarks by plein air painter, Jean LeGassick. She commented that she now routinely plans to spend only about 85% of the time on a painting in the field. She finishes paintings at home. I can appreciate that. I am always astounded how unfinished a plein air work looks once I get it home. I am afraid that 15% additional work would not suffice in my case.

The building to left is the former "Skyline Flowers". In truth the building is in much worse shape. I have neither the talent nor the inclination to paint all of its warts. I just wanted to get outside and paint. It was a handy subplot.

Plein air season has definitely arrived. A few bugs committed suicide on the painting. I kept flicking them off but see that I missed one.

C&C welcome. Thanks for looking. Gary

8x10 oil on Raymar Panel
Name:  IMG_9014.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  138.4 KB
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-15-2017, 07:44 AM
WC! Guide
New York

Hails from United States
Re: Former Skyline Flowers

Nice piece, Gary, and totally worth it to be able to paint that beautiful mountain in the background. Sorry about the bug. What happens when they deteriorate or does the oil kind of prevent that? A little time and distance from the plein air probably helps you see the painting more objectively. I've rushed and ruined too many!
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-15-2017, 05:46 PM
A Local Legend
Salt Lake City

Re: Former Skyline Flowers

Thanks Donna. I do not mind the bugs as much as they mind the paint.

It is like writing something. If you put it down and come back to it later, it will always seem full of mistakes on review.

Gary