WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Plein Air
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-07-2017, 02:28 PM

Pochade cigar box

It's a work in progress, but here's my pochade box project:

Name:  20170407_103357.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  159.4 KB

Picked up a beautiful cigar box in a local smoke shop in Escondido, CA

Name:  20170407_103719.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  118.6 KB

I did a fair bit of research and decided, since my media would be watercolor, I didn't need a tilty lid.
I removed the hinges and installed neodymium magnets to hold the lid. Between the back and front magnets. I reversed the polarities so flipping the lid to the flat inner side, practical for sketch and paint, wouldn't be a hastle.
Due to the magnet's strength, there is absolutely no worries of the lid coming off, the latch furthermore insuring there to be less slidingaction.

Name:  20170407_103516.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  119.8 KB
Lid held up via being propped on the box and leaning on chair backrest.
Name:  20170407_103617.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  90.8 KB

I went on to pick up some bass wood from an arts and crafts store, and cut it into compartment spacers. There is also an extra piece to divide the box hieght-wise, dividing unused paper from space for drying or held pieces of work, from supplies.

Further goals for this project are to devise magnetic detachable side planes to hold altoid tins for palette mix, and the collapsible water cup; as well as devise a handle for carrying the box.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-09-2017, 10:03 AM

Re: Pochade cigar box

I especially like that you have left the labels on!
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-01-2017, 06:40 PM

Re: Pochade cigar box

Nice work!