WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Printmaking
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-07-2017, 05:56 PM

Re-canning old Etching Inks?

Greetings Printmakers!
Someone gifted me several small cans of (very old) JMPalliard etching inks. The cans are rusty but solid. I opened up a can of sepia ink, skimmed off the crust and re-canned the remaining ink into a new plastic container (from Graphic Chemical Company) with a new paper skin on top. I mixed a bit of burnt plate oil into the ink (the ink was pretty stiff). Does anyone foresee problems with re-canning the ink, i.e., does etching ink have any kind of shelf life? I suspect these inks are 30 plus years old! Thank you for any insights!
adelld
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-11-2017, 03:05 PM

Re: Re-canning old Etching Inks?

Re-canning shouldn't be a problem. You might try making covers from plastic milk jugs cut to fit the can dimensions tightly. Easier to pull up and put back.

As long as you can get the ink to the consistency that you want age isn't an issue. Oil based inks are pretty much the same as oil paint. If it works like you want you are good to go.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-03-2017, 08:28 AM
Veteran Member
Melbourne

Hails from Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelld
Does anyone foresee problems with re-canning the ink, i.e., does etching ink have any kind of shelf life?

Hey adelld !
I will not readily disagree with someone called Contumacious
But I do have a few worries...
My experience is that recanning ink tends to shorten its "use-by" date. If you have mixed it with a little plate oil to loosen it, the mass of the oil has been exposed to oxygen, and a drying-oil has been added to it. I suspect it will start to polymerize more rapidly from now on... I mean, not overnight, but possibly it will glug up within a year or two. I'd use it ASAP. I've received some old cans of ink, cleaned them up and recanned them, sealed the cans etc, and found them all skinned and very dry two years later, so they can turn on you!!!!

Just my opinion, based more on vague and general recollections than rigorous scientific analysis

all the best!!!

:::
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-05-2017, 07:09 PM

Experience speaks louder than contumaciousness - I would go with what Jeffro says as it makes sense and it carries with it actual hands on results. I have never repackaged printing ink, just oil paints.

A good cover over the ink with no air gaps in the can will help. Milk carton type material works better for me than the paper that comes in some tins. The less air (oxygen) that is getting to the ink the better. You might consider dropping a couple of oxygen absorbent packs in there on top of the plastic cover and taping the can lid shut like when it was new.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-05-2017, 08:03 PM
Veteran Member
Melbourne

Hails from Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by contumacious
You might consider dropping a couple of oxygen absorbent packs in there on top of the plastic cover and taping the can lid shut like when it was new.

Thats not bad, I've never heard of that, but why not?
Some folks claim storing the can in the fridge helps too

:::
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-18-2017, 01:11 PM

Thank you Contumacious and Jeffro for this very good advice. If the ink goes bad I will not about it. I have had good luck tubing my own oil paints (special mix grays) over the years so hopefully this will be similar. I'm going to experiment with tubing some of the inks since this allows the tube to be rolled forward (toothpaste style) and will minimize the amount of oxygen that sits within the ink container.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-18-2017, 10:13 PM

Welcome. I think tubes are a great idea. You can eliminate all of the air.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-22-2017, 09:16 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint

Hails from United States

Wow. I could never get my etching ink out of tubes, even if I could manage to get the ink into the tubes in the first place...the ink is too stiff.