WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Plein Air
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-08-2016, 04:49 PM
Auburn Hills, MI

Hails from United States
DIY Pochade box and panel holder

I just finished making this. It was originally designed to hold a 12x16 glass palette in the bottom portion and all my painting supplies in the lid, but my measurements ended up being just a hair off. So I re-engineered it as you see it.

I used masonite for the top and bottom, screwed and glued to strips of oak. It now holds a 10x12 glass palette and I have 2 compartments for my supplies. The palette is held in place by a 1/4" square dowel on one side and a small removable pin on the opposite side. I drilled a small hole underneath so I can pop the palette out with a brush handle. For now I have some pieces of coroplast that i can wedge into the compartments to keep my supplies in place.

Here it is as I use it with my panel holder attached to the tripod.

The panel holder is made out of some scrap strips of wood I had and two 1/4" threaded rods. The bottom piece is secured to the rods with nuts on top and bottom and the top piece simply slides freely up and down. A panel is then basically sandwiched between the two pieces with some brass clips I found in my miscellaneous hardware collection. It will hold up to 11" vertically.

The panel holder fits inside the lid and is held in place by some pieces of square dowel. I would like to be able to use it to carry a wet painting, but when I close the box up and hold it by the handle the panel slides right out of the holder. I'll need to ponder that one some more, but for the time being I made a small wet panel holder out of coroplast that'll hold 3 panels, so that should be ok.

Here is the box closed up and the support that it sits on.

I have only done 1 plain air painting so far, but now that I have a more economical setup I will try some more. I just wish the weather here would cooperate!!

C&C always welcome
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-18-2016, 02:37 AM
Veteran Member

Re: DIY Pochade box and panel holder

Nice job, but beware, making your own gear can become very addictive!
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-25-2017, 01:29 PM
A Local Legend
Washington state

Hails from United States

I landed here by following the link you posted in your new plein air thread in the Oil Painting forum. This looks like a terrific and well designed set up! Thanks for sharing it.

I'm bumping this up out of curiosity about the support thingie and how it was designed and how it attaches to the tripod. Also, I'd love to see your wet panel carrier. What's coroplast anyway?

Somewhere within all of us there is a wordless center, a part of us...that has remained unchanged since we were children. It is the source of our strength and compassion. That faint confluence of the tangible and the spiritual is where Art comes from.
~Richard Schmid

#4   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-25-2017, 01:51 PM
Auburn Hills, MI

Hails from United States

Thanks AnnieA! My idea was based off the Coulter easel: http://artboxandpanel.com

The support basically hangs from the tripod legs, gravity holds it in place. It's just some pieces of 1x2 screwed together. I'm also working on a new panel holder that's very similar to the Coulter panel holder.

C&C always welcome