WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Plein Air
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#61   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-18-2016, 08:07 AM
Enthusiast
Dallas, Texas

Hails from United States
Re: Autumn in the Big Bend National Park

I used to enjoy painting thin oils on paper that was coated with gelatin, because of the slick surface. I hadn't thought of making panels from the paper before applying the gelatin, but that would make a really nice support. Thanks for the idea and step by step work plan.

You have gloves now, do you also have water shoes? Those are great for wading, might be handy for any watery situation.
  #62   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-18-2016, 11:36 PM
Lord of the Arts
Kansas

Hails from United States

Robyn:

Slick surface... have you tried Yupo?

I lightly sanded the 18x24 panel before putting on a third coat of "My mixture" ground. It's looking very inviting. Should I cut it down to two 12x16 panels, or not? I also have a small 6x12x1/4 plywood panel I have been experimenting with. It now has about five or six coats, (I lost count) and looks great.

I think the best way to use these grounds is to have a non-warping panel, to mix-in up to 10% water and then put on several coats stroking at angles to each other, working quickly to avoid a "torn-up" surface film. Then allow a day between coats and lightly sand them. You end up with a very nice surface sort of equivalent to cold press, (not). It won't act like paper but has it's own interesting characteristics.

Yes, I purchased a pair of water shoes from Lands End and am quite happy with them. Most water drains out quickly but your feet stay damp. I found in my old back-packing things an ancient, ratty-looking set of silk ankle socks that I wear with these shoes. LE also has a pair of dark blue fast drying nylon shorts with generous legs and side pockets that secure with velcrow. These can also serve as a swim suit. Love 'em for the Art Barge.

Now we'd like to find a new car to replace the Art Mobile. A small station wagon style thing that is easy to enter, gets incredible mileage, has a real spare tire, rides quietly and does not have a list of cheap electronic distractors such as touch screen controls, blue tooth, Wi-Fi, 8-way heated seats, cruise control, GPS and automatic headlights and braking. Also note... we don't spend money for ugly. Do we have to buy a Russian car? Maybe a North Korean jeep? Really, maybe a nice new 1990 car? I keep looking at different brands and can't find anything I want. Hello manufacturers... we old folk can and do buy cars... if we want them. [end of rant]

Comments, Dave

Last edited by manfrommerriam : 03-18-2016 at 11:40 PM.
  #63   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-19-2016, 08:29 AM
Enthusiast
Dallas, Texas

Hails from United States

Yes, a surface with plenty of gelatin does act a lot like Yupo. Washy oils are fun on it. The paint goes on in a way that reminds me of ice skating.

I thought I read somewhere that wagons were set to make a comeback. Good luck finding a new vehicle without all the gizmos. Have you considered an older car? I bought a Subaru Forester two years back after a lifetime of tiny cars. It was a practical decision, and I didn't expect to really like the Forester, but I do. Some f the hatchbacks are essentially wagons. Part of my old job was keeping up with all the new car models, but now that I'm retired I don't pay attention at all!
  #64   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-19-2016, 10:02 PM
Lord of the Arts
Kansas

Hails from United States

Robyn: My nephew and his wife live in Boston and drive a used Subaru Forester. What's your husbands name?

We bought my Art Mobile quite used several years ago, (and that's a long story too). I love it but it's already showing its age and is approaching the "fix it or trade it" horizon now.

I credited LE as the source of my watershoes but it was actually L.L.Bean. Well, I got the first letter right.

Found a tiny camping stove today. Really a cute looking thing. Hope it works as I'll need to boil water for food. I used to have a good one but someone broke into my, (once upon a time) Colorado mountain shack and took off with it.

Looking at a calendar today. Trying to fit in my yachting in BBNP... have to avoid Thanksgiving when a crowd descends on the place. Then there is election day... not going to miss voting! Kinda makes a mess of November, yet October is still in the rainy period. Dare I go between Turkey-day and Xmas? Euw. Decisions, decisions... but I've months to figure it out.

Snow flurries this afternoon. Not exactly Art Barge weather. Soon! Meanwhile my current studio series is growing... just hit thirty pieces.

Comments? Dave

Last edited by manfrommerriam : 03-19-2016 at 10:15 PM.
  #65   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2016, 03:31 PM
Lord of the Arts
Kansas

Hails from United States

So... I went to a hardware store to see if I could find anything to make a "Kayack Paddle Easel" out of. There was nothing in the electrical conduit line but over in plumbing I found this stuff.

I had to hacksaw a bit of tubing into two short sections that connect the three you can see. So, US$ 7.14 including taxes and about ten minutes to make this thing up. Below is a view of it with sections of two kayack paddles inserted. They fit a little loosely. As you can see I ended up three feet high.

So... out on the front lawn in snow flurry weather and my wife is taking photos and our towns mayor happens to drive by and wants to know why we are trashing the neighborhood.

Here is one of the photos Judy took. I'm showing that now I must come up with a way to attach something like the Sun Eden Tilting Adaptor.

So far so good for a first generation proof of concept thing... but I'm a long way from the Rio Grande river, (and perhaps the Shark Tank TV show).

As I'm looking at this thing it comes to me that with a nylon cover that had pockets for the blades or velcro straps for the lower legs... you would have a tiny emergency shelter. Not a real tent but enough to get out of the weather if you curl up inside... another idea to play with? How about a 90 degree plastic fitting joining 3/4 poles as tent supports and staking out the two other sides of the shelter cover?

Comments? Dave

Last edited by manfrommerriam : 03-20-2016 at 03:46 PM.
  #66   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-21-2016, 10:16 AM
Enthusiast
Dallas, Texas

Hails from United States

Dave, my husband's name is David.

I am really impressed with your easel and think the idea of fitting it with a rain poncho is a great one. Probably not necessary, but you never know! Once you get the barge all outfitted, you might want to make other watery expeditions where unpredictable rain might be a nuisance.

I've seen some very specialized vans at plein air events. Some of those guys don't even get out in the open air. Their vans are like panel trucks and they sit in them like very compact studios. Does your new art mobile also need to be your primary vehicle? One of the things I like about the Subaru is the all wheel drive. I don't go off road a lot, but have had need of that feature.

Missed my paintout this weekend because I needed to go another direction, for a funeral unfortunately. But we stayed in a little town where a surprisingly large number of buildings date from the 1840s and 50s. It's near San Antonio and I'd like to come back to paint a number of them.
  #67   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-21-2016, 02:45 PM
Lord of the Arts
Kansas

Hails from United States

Robyn: I believe I once knew that he was also a David... we met at BBNP.

I'd go for a used RV camping van but the Mrs would not. Problems parking the thing at home would arise and I don't think I'd use it much. Probably some sort of station wagon that has non-art uses would work best. Maybe a CRV type car.

I still have easel ideas to try out. The one pictured above is just a first shot.

Sorry to hear about your missed outting... but perhaps you can get the OPS going to your 1840s site.

They are paving our street today. The dogs are upset. That does not take much. Expecting it to be much warmer tomorrow. If it does not blow I'll be back at the lake with the Art Barge.

Comments, Dave
  #68   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-30-2016, 08:10 PM
Lord of the Arts
Kansas

Hails from United States

So... fustrating. Every day it is warm enough to take out the Art Barge it gets windy and/or rainy. Now they are actually saying "we could" get a tornado. Yes... but we could actually not get one.

Judy ordered me another set of shorts and shirt to yacht/paint in. Whoo, I'll be the best dressed boat bum on the Rio Grande.

Purchased a couple more 12x16 inch Jack Richardson Hardboards and a small pot of the Daniel Smith watercolor ground. Am I nuts or what?

Comments? Dave
  #69   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-31-2016, 05:36 PM

Hails from United States

Amazing work! I love Big Bend national park one of my favorite places. I went to the big cookoff out there years back. I even remember the drunk donkey haha
  #70   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-01-2016, 09:57 AM
Enthusiast
Dallas, Texas

Hails from United States

Hi, Sugarland! You don't have any tips on how to teleport to Big Bend, do you? I love it but it is so hard to get there.

Dave, I'm sure you will find a way to put a walk in closet in the art barge to house your growing wardrobe. I hope the weather the last few days has not been dangerous at your place. We had a few low level tornadoes and hail in the area, but only high winds at our house.
  #71   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-01-2016, 07:35 PM
Lord of the Arts
Kansas

Hails from United States

Sugarland & Robyn:
I think I would recall a drunk donkey. I must have been in the wrong part of the park... it is huge.

If it does not fit in the barge nicely it's staying on the beach. That includes me.

Teleport? Check out the used Tardises on e-Bay.com, Cars.com and on Bringatrailer.com. How far is it anyway? I have a longggg two day drive to get there but I'm going.

I have been coating three more 12x16 JR panels with the DS ground.

Our weather today quite snappy. Damp, cool and drizzled a bit. Felt like late autumn.

Still working on my studio project but awaiting a boat wetting day soon.

Comments? Dave
  #72   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-02-2016, 08:56 AM
Enthusiast
Dallas, Texas

Hails from United States

I'm not sure how far it is from DFW. It would be possible to drive in one really long day, but I like to break up the trip. Last time we stopped in Monahans. There is a park there for viewing and playing in the sand dunes, which are also interesting to paint, if it is on your route.

Had a good laugh at your tardis suggestion!

I am a watercolor fiend these days because I agreed to do my first ever demo and am in training. Performance is coming up in May. Next week I'm taking a plein air workshop. I'll be using oils for that, but will still paint a watercolor each night in the motel room. I may be the only person who does a preliminary oil study for a watercolor painting. should probably make that part of the demo.
  #73   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-02-2016, 08:04 PM
Lord of the Arts
Kansas

Hails from United States

Robyn and Jaime:
If you were a bird it would be around 450 miles. The crow-line from here is 850. My route south last November cut diagonally across Oklahoma thinking it would be faster... but it was actually slower than on the Interstates because as it got late I had to go way off my planned route to find a motel. I did pass through Monahans... about 4:30AM. I had gotten off from the motel due to a watch mis-fire... I thought it was a dark 7AM but it was a lot more like 3:30AM.

Seriously? There are all sorts of vehicles on Bringatrailer.com.

Sugarland... I had a look at your great website. Looks like you do a lot of teaching!

Finished coating my three new panels this afternoon. Two coats of acrylic gesso and two coats of DS's wc ground. No warping.

Still looking at plastic plumbing bits to find a better paddle-easel setup. Meanwhile I'm looking at my "art box" for the kayacking. I could get a tripod in, (secret: my Bogens are cut-down and the ball heads come off). I may purchase a new Sun-Eden Tilting Adaptor. The new ones break down into two pieces about 14.5 inches long and would also fit in my watertight plastic box. That reminds me... I need to inflate the Art Barge and check the box fits in laid flat.

Weather today was good but we had errands to run so the boat is dry tonight. Gasp. If it is not one thing it's another.

Comments? Dave

Last edited by manfrommerriam : 04-02-2016 at 08:09 PM.
  #74   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-03-2016, 09:26 AM
Enthusiast
Dallas, Texas

Hails from United States

Monahans has motels but hardly any place to eat. When we stayed there all the other guests were doing their own cooking on their tailgates. They knew. I've never driven through western Oklahoma, but am not surprised that they are short on facilities for travelers out that way.

Bet you get that boat inflated and afloat soon. Would the paddle easel eliminate the need for an additional tripod?
  #75   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-03-2016, 12:26 PM
Lord of the Arts
Kansas

Hails from United States

Robyn:
Not to knock OK but fracting is not the only problem... there are plenty of open roads and friendly people but as in western KS facilities are often scarce. I'll favor the interstates next time.

Today started out great, warm and clear but at 7:30AM I spoke to a neighbor who was driving past and I asked him if he was going to take their plane up and he said it was likely to get windy. He was right and if it is like this here out at the lake it will be lots more gusty. So... I'm home inking a drawing instead of getting wet.

Paddle Easel would eliminate the tripod however I'm starting to lean towards using the tripod since I will have to have it for the non-boating paintings anyway and it fits into the Art Box if I remove the ball-head. Still looking at the Paddle Easel idea to see if it can be improved... tightened up, made smaller, etc.

Comments, Dave