WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Plein Air
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#436   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-05-2017, 04:05 PM
Lord of the Arts
Kansas

Hails from United States
Re: Autumn in the Big Bend National Park

Eh well... so much for resolutions. I got busy doing some stuff from my photgraphs. I used pen & wash. I've decided to post them. However they are not plein-air so to see them take a look in Wetcanvas, the WATERMEDIA forum under the name "the Big Bend National Park Experience".

Have fun, Dave
  #437   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-10-2017, 12:13 PM
Lord of the Arts
Kansas

Hails from United States

Thanks to everyone for the very kind comments on my "the Big Bend National Park Experience" string in Watermedia.

I'm planning to return, maybe in October '17 although there is a O.P.S. event in Eureka Springs, Arkansas that looks interesting and is a conflict.

Certainly I want to get there before the 2nd phase of The Wall of Shame gets under construction... reportedly in 2019. There won't be a motel room to be had in that area and the wonderful scenery will of course be damaged. I do hope that instead our sleeping congress wakes up... 21.6 billion to possibly 25 billion U.S. dollars is a lot... a lot of taxes. Donald says he does not pay taxes because taxes are a waste of money... and this proves his point.

So... busy figuring out when to go exactly and what I want to do there. I'm planning to take the Art Barge but may not use it. Backpacking may the way I go next time. Also I plan to figure out how to do really large work that has the appearance of the pen & wash work I posted in the string I mentioned above. I was thinking of oils but the current idea is acrylics. Experiments to come !

Comments? Have fun, Dave

Last edited by manfrommerriam : 02-10-2017 at 12:19 PM.
  #438   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-26-2017, 03:19 PM
Lord of the Arts
Kansas

Hails from United States

Well, still thinking.... still considering late October and early november, 2017 for a return to Big Bend N.P. My spouse is now telling me three weeks would be okay by her. Whoa!
Yesterday I ordered a copy of the BBNP hiking trails guide from the park book store at Panther Junction. There should be some reality checks in that. Last night I found a list of trails and short comments by people who have been on them... on the 'net. There are several trails and roads that look good up by Persimmon Gap... that's an area I have not seen much of.
Also I'm considering a float trip with the professional outfitters... it would give me more time to paint and photograph than I had on my solo boating adventure last fall.
But... it's all money and that has definate limits!

Comments? Dave
  #439   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-26-2017, 03:42 PM
Lord of the Arts
Kansas

Hails from United States

Thinking about radios and phones. My little portable I used to warn off bears and javalinas was ruined when the Art Barge flipped on that last outting. My 2 meter ham radio does not have a subaudable tone generator so I can't use it to access the repeaters near the park. Cell phones generally don't work in the parks back country... Fred at the Heath Canyon Ranch has a satellite phone and says locals in that area commonly have them... that's great but renting or purchasing one of those is costly.

So, even more stuff that costs money to think about.

Comments? Dave
  #440   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-03-2017, 09:45 AM
Enthusiast
Dallas, Texas

Hails from United States

Wow, you are having to get all science-y and technical! Is that half the fun?

It's great that you have found a place so meaningful to you that it draws you back again and again.
  #441   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-05-2017, 09:53 PM
Lord of the Arts
Kansas

Hails from United States

My copy of the BBNP hiking guide arrived Friday. Fantastic book with maps, photos and descriptions of not only the trails but the terraine and the environments they pass through.

Getting pumped!

Comments? Dave
  #442   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-27-2017, 09:26 PM
Lord of the Arts
Kansas

Hails from United States

>>>Reading through my new BBNP hiking guide I found in 2015 I'd already done a half dozen of the easier trails without any intention. Just walks I did while looking for plein air sites. In 2016 I focused on the river and so just did one hike. Anyhow... I'm compiling a list of the hikes I believe are possible while packing a watercolor outfit. Lots of them on the list!
>>>I'm still posting BBNP pen & wash pieces over on the Watermedia/"the Big Bend National Park Experience" string. Two dozen so far.
>>>Still not firm on when I'll return to BBNP. I do want to get there before the Trump Wall tears things up. Hate to miss Halloween at home but also want to avoid school break college kids descending on the park.

Comments? Have fun, Dave
  #443   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-28-2017, 08:06 AM
Enthusiast
Dallas, Texas

Hails from United States

October is my favorite month for Texas travel. Places that get hot are cool, and places that get cold aren't as cold as they're going to get. you could always pack a light costume for Halloween. Maybe a mask of Zorro would be sufficient.

In a place the size of BB you could hike the whole month and not run out of things to see. That guide sounds like a gem!

Going to go check out the watermedia thread now.
  #444   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-28-2017, 08:10 PM
Lord of the Arts
Kansas

Hails from United States

Robyn:

I have seen a youtube movie in which a cross-river-border celebration was somewhat recently held at Lajitas... A country band was playing on the USA beach and people from both sides were dancing, eating and shaking hands... often out in the middle of the Rio Grande. Kids splashing and laughing. Everyone was having such a good time.

I saw yesterday on TheNews.MX that there is movement in Mexico to discourage or deter their citizens from working on the Trump Wall construction project. If they start thinking about withholding temporary agricultural labor, Donnie might have to call up the National Guard and give them work gloves to wear in the fields.

Dave
  #445   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-29-2017, 08:27 AM
Enthusiast
Dallas, Texas

Hails from United States

it stands to (my) reason that folks on the border would get along. They are neighbors and probably have more in common with each other than with people in the big cities of their respective countries.

I'm beginning to think the wall isn't going to happen. that I'm right.

Have you seen any postings from Outdoor Painters of their latest BB trip? I haven't, but would like to.

I planned a personal paintout today along with a trip to a plant sale out in the boonies, but will have to call first to see if they got storm damage last night.
  #446   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-29-2017, 06:17 PM
Lord of the Arts
Kansas

Hails from United States

Robyn:

Donnies Wall of Shame: I suspect something will be done to start a wall project but eventually the tax payers will force congress to pay attention. I just don't think the scale of the thing has been appreciated in DC, (maybe the wall should first be build around DC as a reality check?).
I've heard to build it in donnies 3.5 years would require 20,000 workers of one sort or another, with temporary housing and resources for them. a permanent expansion of the border patrol staff with more facilities for them and on going wall maintenance costs.
As for that labor, the Catholic Archdiocese of Mexico said Sunday that Mexicans working on the project would be "traitors". So, Canadians?
Eventually, someday in the future the wall would be taken back down at an even greater cost... or possibly abandoned, leaving it a weathering, neglected scar across the southern states involved.

Late October and early November is my idea now.

Big storm here last night and this morning. Rain... either none or too much.

Dave
  #447   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-07-2017, 07:45 PM
Lord of the Arts
Kansas

Hails from United States

Another sniff of pesos for a wall financed through yielding land in exchange for money. A Mexican politico is rumored to be looking into sueing the states in international courts to cancel the 1848 Treaty of Guadalupe-Hildago. Here we go? I saw this in yesterdays TheNews.MX but it's gone now.

After almost two weeks of clouds and rain we finally got some nice weather. Plein air painting weather!

Have fun, Dave
  #448   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-22-2017, 09:48 PM
Lord of the Arts
Kansas

Hails from United States

Still adding art to the 'Watermedia/"the Big Bend National Park Experience" string but running out of photos I really feel inspired by.

Rumor is donnie does not believe Congress will fund the wall this year. Wishful thinking? Anyone actually know what's going on?

Having some problems with legs after tripping over an excited daschunds leash. Need to get that fixed before going back to BBNP. My next outing is a sales effort down in Winfield, KS, (the Kansas Sampler Festival) and then I've signed up for the STEMS plein-air thing again. So May will be a busy, busy month.

I have not been going out with the Art Barge as they found some drowned fisherman in the lake... after he had floated around a month. I'm a bit under-excited about that.

Comments? Have fun, Dave
  #449   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-23-2017, 07:54 AM
Enthusiast
Dallas, Texas

Hails from United States

Sotty I have missed your posts, Dave. I haven't been checking in very often.

I often wonder if the wall was just an invention to galvanize supporters and whether the president has any real commitment to it. But I wonder that about many positions he takes.

Sorry to hear about the trip up with the leash! I hope you are mending and back in regular working order soon. You don't want to blow out a wonky knee hiking a canyon with no cellular coverage.

I can understand how accidents on the lake might keep you from inflating the barge. Sad that that guy was missing for so long before being found.

I did a spot of plein air yesterday on a watercolor society paintout. Light was flat and the weather was windy and cold, but we can't blame the organizers for that. I took a newbie friend and she enjoyed herself, making a very nice painting while I struggled.
  #450   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-24-2017, 11:26 PM
Lord of the Arts
Kansas

Hails from United States

Robyn: Took a really long walk with the boy dog today. Did not enjoy it but needed to get going. Work on my legs.

I have to get busy sorting out stuff for the Kansas Sampler Festival in Winfield coming up soon. Then I've just been informed that the Mt. Mitchell event is moved up and is the day after STEMS opens. Gasp, everything hits in May!

Donnies wall: My take is that the congress could do something about that guy but won't as long as he does their dirt while providing someone to blame for it when election time comes around. Will congress fund the Wall Of Shame? Well Donald told everyone he'd make Mexico pay for it so why would congress get sweaty trying to find tens of billions in our taxes to make him look good? He's their chump.

Weather is getting better. Windy but mild today.

Our current excitement is a pair of Carolina Wrens have built a nest in our front door areas wreath. I sort'a peek out once or twice a day. They might be about to hatch their eggs but we don't know when they were laid. We come and go through the garage.

Heard anything more of 'White Pens' floating the Euro rivers?

Comments? Dave

Last edited by manfrommerriam : 04-24-2017 at 11:31 PM.