WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Town Center > Café Guerbois
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#61   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-20-2019, 12:15 AM
A Local Legend
Pretoria

Hails from South Africa
Re: Design your own album cover

StLukes: Apparently you want your album cover to precipitate as much of a riot as the first performance of the work did.
  #62   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-20-2019, 08:40 AM
A WC! Legend
A large urban setting in the Mid-West

Hails from United States

Le Sacre du Printemps was a ballet involving imagined ancient Russian pagan rituals (possibly involving nudity) and virgin sacrifice. The erotic nature of the dance, the emphasis on rhythm, and the lurching dance designed by Sergei Diaghilev shocked those in the ballet audience who expected beautiful, elegant music and dancing ala Tchaikovsky's Swan Lake.

I was tempted to go with the conductor, Pierre Boulez, who I felt was more suited to the stark, Modernist design... but then Pierre Monteux was the conductor of the notorious opening of the ballet:

Stravinsky showed the manuscript to Maurice Ravel, who was enthusiastic and predicted, in a letter to a friend, that the first performance of the Le Sacre would be as important as the 1902 premiere of Debussy's Pelléas et Mélisande. Monteux's first reaction to The Rite, after hearing Stravinsky play a piano version, was to leave the room and find a quiet corner. He drew Diaghilev aside and said he would never conduct music like that; Diaghilev managed to change his mind. Although he would perform his duties with conscientious professionalism, he never came to enjoy the work; nearly fifty years after the premiere he told enquirers that he detested it. The music contained so many unusual note combinations that Monteux had to ask the musicians to stop interrupting when they thought they had found mistakes in the score, saying he would tell them if something was played incorrectly. According to Doris Monteux, "The musicians thought it absolutely crazy". At one point—a climactic brass fortissimo—the orchestra broke into nervous laughter at the sound, causing Stravinsky to intervene angrily.

Some eyewitnesses and commentators said that the disturbances in the audience began during the Introduction, and grew noisier when the curtain rose on the stamping dancers in "Augurs of Spring". But music historian Richard Taruskin asserts, "it was not Stravinsky's music that did the shocking. It was the ugly earthbound lurching and stomping devised by Vaslav Nijinsky." Two years after the premiere journalist and photographer Carl Van Vechten claimed in his book Music After the Great War that the person behind him became carried away with excitement, and "began to beat rhythmically on top of my head with his fists".

At that time, a Parisian ballet audience typically consisted of two diverse groups: the wealthy and fashionable set, who would be expecting to see a traditional performance with beautiful music, and a "Bohemian" group who, the poet-philosopher Jean Cocteau asserted, would "acclaim, right or wrong, anything that is new because of their hatred of the boxes". Monteux believed that the trouble began when the two factions began attacking each other, but their mutual anger was soon diverted towards the orchestra: "Everything available was tossed in our direction, but we continued to play on". Around forty of the worst offenders were ejected—possibly with the intervention of the police, although this is uncorroborated. Through all the disturbances the performance continued without interruption. The unrest receded significantly during Part II, and by some accounts, Maria Piltz's rendering of the final "Sacrificial Dance" was watched in reasonable silence.

-edited in part from the Wikipedia article on Le Sacre du Printemps

Le Sacre du Printemps ranks with Picasso's Les Demoiselles d'Avignon and James Joyce' Ulysses as one of the real "game changers" of Modernism.

Last edited by stlukesguild : 07-20-2019 at 08:43 AM.
  #63   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-20-2019, 11:53 AM
A Local Legend
Pretoria

Hails from South Africa

The Rite is at least to me one of the most thrilling things ever composed. It is difficult now to quite imagine why it caused such a scandal; our ears have become used to much, much more extreme stuff. :-)
  #64   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-20-2019, 12:50 PM
A WC! Legend
A large urban setting in the Mid-West

Hails from United States

In my case, I grew up listening to rock & roll, Jazz, and to a lesser extent, country which are all quite rhythmically-driven and often quite raucous... so Stravinsky wasn’t all that shocking. The atonality of Schoenberg and his followers was far more challenging (and remains so) to me.
  #65   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-21-2019, 12:03 AM
A Local Legend
Pretoria

Hails from South Africa

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlukesguild
In my case, I grew up listening to rock & roll, Jazz, and to a lesser extent, country which are all quite rhythmically-driven and often quite raucous... so Stravinsky wasn’t all that shocking. The atonality of Schoenberg and his followers was far more challenging (and remains so) to me.

Yes, indeed, Schoenberg's school can be really grating. And worse, boring. If music is going to be ugly, it should at least be offensive as well. :-)
  #66   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-21-2019, 03:25 AM
A Local Legend
Pretoria

Hails from South Africa

Art: Arnold Boecklin - Island of the Dead, 1883.

I'm sure this painting has in fact been used as album cover for the piece in question, seeing as it is what inspired Rachmaninoff in the first place...
  #67   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-27-2019, 09:59 PM
A Local Legend
Pretoria

Hails from South Africa

Art: A rather experimental thing I did years ago. :-)
  #68   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-20-2019, 11:51 PM
A Local Legend
Pretoria

Hails from South Africa

I almost forgot this thread. Why not put another pic in here?

Art: Katya Mikhailova (8 years old) - Angel with a candle

Not difficult to see why Picasso admired the art of children... :-)
  #69   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-12-2019, 12:59 AM
A Local Legend
Pretoria

Hails from South Africa

Art: Carl Buchner - Harlequin

I have almost forgotten about this thread, and I still have some in my folder, so what the heck... :-)