WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Pastels > Oil Pastel Talk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-25-2018, 09:19 PM
Western NY state

Hails from United States
Question Fact or Fiction? Do Caran d'Ache Neopastels bloom?

I have four Neopastels and really love the softness and how they layer well. I was going to buy several more but came across some reviews that claimed Neopastels bloomed. I'm assuming they meant it actually bloomed on their artwork, not just on the stick. My Olive black and Vandycke Brown Neopastels have evidence of blooming on the stick, but I haven't noticed anything on my artwork yet, but I'm just starting out and haven't done many oil pastel works yet.

Has anyone experienced blooming in their artwork because of using Neopastels? Or know someone who has?

Thanks,
Jessica
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-25-2018, 11:50 PM
Standerton, South Africa

Hails from South Africa
Re: Fact or Fiction? Do Caran d'Ache Neopastels bloom?

Sorry, no experience with Neopastels. Reeves do bloom too but I haven't seen any adverse effect on my paintings yet. As far as I know, blooming takes a while before becoming visible to our eyes.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-26-2018, 03:39 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from United Kingdom

Morning and welcome, Jessrose21!

I have about 50 sticks of neopastels and some of the sticks have bloomed, but the paintings I've completed with them have been fine.

There was a thread started about this four years ago, and two other oil pastelists have replied and said it's not a problem in their paintings:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show....php?t=1364774

Maybe the act of laying down and blending the colours mixes the wax in better than in the original stick form? I don't know. You should be fine, anyway
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-26-2018, 04:13 AM
Enthusiast

More info, including a response from Caran D'Ache: http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show...ighlight=bloom
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-26-2018, 06:57 PM
Western NY state

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuscanny
Sorry, no experience with Neopastels. Reeves do bloom too but I haven't seen any adverse effect on my paintings yet. As far as I know, blooming takes a while before becoming visible to our eyes.

Hmm, thanks for the heads up on Reeves. Will avoid that brand. I wonder what conditions cause the bloom? Exposure to sun or oxygen? Extreme heat or cold?

Jessica
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-26-2018, 07:03 PM
Western NY state

Hails from United States

Hi Sarah! Thanks for the welcome and for doing the research for me! I really appreciate you finding those threads; it's not always easy to search the forums as I've learned. I feel much better about using the CDs and will be putting them on my next order.

I'm in need of some pinks that aren't as purple as the ones in my Mungyo Gallery set. Any recommendations on pink Caran D'ache that would be good for painting roses?

Thanks again,
Jessica

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahY
Morning and welcome, Jessrose21!

I have about 50 sticks of neopastels and some of the sticks have bloomed, but the paintings I've completed with them have been fine.

There was a thread started about this four years ago, and two other oil pastelists have replied and said it's not a problem in their paintings:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show....php?t=1364774

Maybe the act of laying down and blending the colours mixes the wax in better than in the original stick form? I don't know. You should be fine, anyway
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-27-2018, 03:46 AM
Enthusiast

You're very welcome. It's far easier to search for something that you remember being posted before, than to look for something without knowing whether or not you'll find an answer!

I'm not a floral/botanical painter and I've never painted a rose, but I reckon you'll need at least granite rose and raspberry red. Granite rose is a beautifully fresh, bright pink and raspberry red is a punchy warm red with high impact. Cream will give your roses delicate warm highlights, and Prussian blue and blue jeans will make you nice cooler shadows if you layer them over the rose and red.

Those five Neopastels should make good roses, and Mungyo has plenty of greens and browns for the stems and leaves.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-30-2018, 06:00 PM
A Local Legend
California

Hails from United States

I have done paintings of all of my dogs with the Neopastels for years and none of them have bloomed. We have hot (over 100) summers and cold (below freezing) winters so they have been exposed to lots of temperatures.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-07-2019, 07:56 AM

Hails from European Union

I have noticed that some of my Neopastels have white mould on it, so spots. :-(.
Stay calm you can not protect all people from mistakes they make. They should also be allowed to learn from mistakes and gain experience. Especially financial mistakes. Keep calm, you can not prevent that there are not only reasonable suggestions from people. Especially on the subject: only try and how long. Important topic: Please Save the Internet, that we can still share a lot of knowledge. # No articles 11 and 13!!!
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-07-2019, 08:46 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macarona
I have noticed that some of my Neopastels have white mould on it, so spots. :-(.
Hi Macarona! It's not mould, it's just the wax separating. It's not a problem and the pastels can still be used
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-12-2019, 09:32 AM

Is it bright enough?
I uploaded it with my smartphone and it was very bright there. On my pc, all photos look much darker.

I know this thin white layer, in my case it's a thicker layer.
Stay calm you can not protect all people from mistakes they make. They should also be allowed to learn from mistakes and gain experience. Especially financial mistakes. Keep calm, you can not prevent that there are not only reasonable suggestions from people. Especially on the subject: only try and how long. Important topic: Please Save the Internet, that we can still share a lot of knowledge. # No articles 11 and 13!!!

Last edited by Macarona : 08-12-2019 at 09:44 AM.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-13-2019, 04:09 AM
Enthusiast

Yes, that's just the wax oozing to the surface and nothing to worry about. You can scrape it off with a knife if you're bothered about it
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-13-2019, 12:43 PM

Well, with the brown pastel on the right, it looks a little fluffier and thicker. I know that with the oxidation of my cheap house brands pastels.

That's why I asked, because it looks different than usual and it smells a bit bad.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-15-2019, 11:18 AM
Enthusiast

Oh, it's actually fluffy? My apologies, it looks just like wax bloom from the photo! Yeah, fluffiness can only be mould
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-15-2019, 01:31 PM
Enthusiast
SE USA

Hails from United States

eek! While some of the flat-laying whitish stuff on the surface of most of these OP's looks like normal wax bloom, I don't think the deep brown on the end looks the same. The round fluffy patches look more like something that would grow in a lab culture medium. (Or old cheese!) Also, you mentioned it has an odor, which also indicates mold.

Film photographer with special love for alternative photographic processes - especially ones that get my hands dirty!