Home Forums Explore Media Watercolor The Learning Zone Poll: Working on an easel, drawing board or tabletop?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 119 total)
  • Author
    SSB

Which method do you use most often? Please choose one, the one you use for the majority of the time. If it pertains to specifics of your style please feel encouraged to explain. If you choose other please explain. Thanks!

Easel/ vertical

Drawing board/ semi-vertical

Table top/ horizontal

Other

Usually a drawing board with a slight slope, though often i work on my knee plein air.

Doug

We must leave our mark on this world

cgonzaga

I use a camera tripod with a shelf and an adjustable board, so it could either be vertical or horizontal or inbetween. That would fall under other I guess.

I use a drawing table with a slight slope, and a camera tripod with custom made boards for 1/4 and 1/2 sheet that can be adjusted between horizontal and vertical, so I guess other and other.

It is only on a basis of knowledge that we can become free to compose naturally. -- Bernard Dunstan
            blog.jlk.net

I prefer working at an easel and my table top is so portable that it’s my favourite…

Char --

CharMing Art -- "Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art." Leonardo DaVinci

virgil carter

Easel/tripod of one kind or another whether outdoors or in my studio. This allows me to paint large (or any desired size) and to alter the slant of the board as needed for various effects.

Sling paint!
                Virgil

Sling paint,
                Virgil Carter
                http://www.virgilcarterfineart.com/

sashntash

We needed one more choice :lol:

I work on a drawing board that has positions so that I can make it either horizontal or about 45 degrees and several stops in between.

Most of the time, I work with the board just slightly tilted…. I would say at about a… hmmmm…. 15 degree angle…. maybe 10 degrees….. lol

Susan
                    in beautiful North Carolina
                    Retired and loving every minute of it !!!
                    Time to play......

kayakartist

I work on a tabletop easel…standing up…from about 30 degree slope to almost vertical depending on what I’m attempting to do. Can’t paint at all with paper flat, or sitting down…

Maribeth

Skappy

I like to paint vertical on an easel I love to deal with drips it can be controled by how liquid the paint is As i use my cpu screen as a ref painting with an easel seems logical to me I use an horizontal suface mostly the floor [my table is a mess Lol] if I have to do a pour or so
                            Robert

pumkin54

I have a really cramped working space. It’s my desk where I do my work from home, school work, game playing, incessant web crawling, drawing and painting. All within a free space of about 1.5 x 4 ft. So I actually work on a drawing board leaning against my desk, at whatever angle I happen to end up in. :p I got an Arches block recently for easy portability to class and I’m able to just lay that flat on the desk. If I need to angle it, I lean it against the desk as if it were a drawing board.

All that preamble to say, Drawing board/semi-vertical AND Table top/horizontal.

[FONT=Century Gothic] pumk[/B][/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]i[/B][/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]n [FONT=Century Gothic]
                                Instagram | DeviantArt | Twitter

[/B][/COLOR]

Bill

Usually on a table with a slant, but I pick up and turn and even work on it’s head.
                                    Bill

Be kinder than necessary

Mayberry

I voted drawing board, though it’s just a piece of masonite that I put the paper on loosely, and tilt it with something under the board on my desk as needed.

baeserj

Most of my work is done on a table with some slant if needed. I have done some work with an easel, but haven’t spent much time due to a busy retierment schedule!

Ron B.
                                            [FONT=Verdana]"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once they grow up." Pablo Picasso

CreativelyMe

Well, I am still learning what feels right to me, but what I have been doing is, I have a table top easel at a slight angle. To do a wash, I have it down more flat, but for detail and such, I bring it up a bit. I don’t know what degree but probably around 20 degrees, is a guess.

~Lisa <><

Cyntada

Table top in the studio, more or less flat when working in a hardbound journal outside, but then it’s whatever angle I can manage to hold book and palette in one hand and brush/pencil/whatever in the other :eek:

Indoors I have the most awesome little tilt-top, folding drawing table ever, that my Dad gave me when I was a teenager. Something he found at the swap meet for a whopping $20 and thought I might like. I treasure it and have lettered many a calligraphy project with the board tilted. For watercolor, I keep it flat and just tip the paper when needing to influence a runny wash.

Painting with the paper propped up permanently just feels unnatural to me for some reason.

CK =)
                                                    I take great comfort in knowing that my genuine typos will probably be blamed on some device's autocorrect. :angel:
                                                    DIY art supplies, sketches, and more: cyntada.com / @cyntada
                                                  Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 119 total)
                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.