Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting Cows in Autumn

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    GregD19

I did this one a few weeks back trying to use the spotlight effect for the first time. Any suggestions?

CC welcome.

KEVIN$

I think the shadows in the background trees on the left side could be darker kinda like the ones right behind the cow. This could make the foreground area/cows standout more.

ks

Kevin Slaby
            2002 Mustang - 902hp but BROKE at 953hp
            http://baselinesuspensions.com/Projects/balrog.htm

GregD19

I think the shadows in the background trees on the left side could be darker kinda like the ones right behind the cow. This could make the foreground area/cows standout more.

ks

Thanks. I didn’t want to make them too dark as to keep them from “coming into the foreground,” but I can see I could probably go darker at least around the edges outside of the spotlit area without being too dark.

KEVIN$

You got it.. I don’t think the trees are so far away that the shadows should be too light. Maybe just sneak up on the darkness a little bit at a time.
                    The trees on the left are closest to the viewer but they are lighter than the far away trees behind the heard.. I understand the spotlight affect is in play but the left side trees just seem washed out..hmmm not sure..

ks

Kevin Slaby
                    2002 Mustang - 902hp but BROKE at 953hp
                    http://baselinesuspensions.com/Projects/balrog.htm

oldnmartist

Thanks, I had not heard of this effect, and I can see it being used.

Everything else being equal, I would rather be in the painting zone.

Lazarus E

Thanks. I didn’t want to make them too dark as to keep them from “coming into the foreground,” but I can see I could probably go darker at least around the edges outside of the spotlit area without being too dark.

its not about the dark as it about is too blury, it make no sense with the hard edges of the middle trees.
                            very beautyful painting btw.

GregD19

its not about the dark as it about is too blury, it make no sense with the hard edges of the middle trees.
                                very beautyful painting btw.

I’m not sure I know what you mean. The trees in the middle are part of the focus of the painting, therefore a bit more detailed and lit up. I figured if there were just cows as the focus it would be a bit boring.
                                Edit: I should mention I know what you mean by the hard edges, just that I did it on purpose.

Lazarus E

I’m not sure I know what you mean. The trees in the middle are part of the focus of the painting, therefore a bit more detailed and lit up. I figured if there were just cows as the focus it would be a bit boring.
                                    Edit: I should mention I know what you mean by the hard edges, just that I did it on purpose.

they cant be blur and bigger what make them become closer to the viewer than those detailed in the middle. the saturation and the chroma should be in haromny back there.

GregD19

they cant be blur and bigger what make them become closer to the viewer than those detailed in the middle. the saturation and the chroma should be in haromny back there.

OK, thanks!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.