Home Forums Explore Subjects Landscapes Cityscapes/Urban Art Night Fruit Market WIP

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    skipstah

hi. I decided to whip up another night market scene since I had relative success with my last one. The night scenes seem to be a little more forgiving with regards to colour and temperature for me. This one is a scene of a College St fruit market here in Toronto. Working from a composition laid out in photoshop from a pile of reference photos I took. Trying to create a little atmosphere with placement of the figures.

Working a little larger than usual, 16″x 24″ oil over an acrylic underpainting. Many layers yet to go!!!

Any C&C welcome. Thx for lookin’! :wink2:

WEBSITE

skipstah

Throwing more paint at it today…

WEBSITE

Delofasht

This is impressive work! Well done so far, looking forward to the finish.

- Delo Delofasht
                Reed Jones

NICE! Looking forward to seeing this move along!

www.reedmichaeljones.com

Critiques and feedback are welcomed!

DreyDay

I like your balance of color and shadows everywhere, so that the rule of thirds seems to be used here. The middle has great contrast with the light at the top and bottom, which helps bring out the people more. I like how you sparingly used vivid colors, so that they are not overused but create just the right effect. I like the modern theme of it as well. This would be a good painting to hang in the kitchen or dining room.

skipstah

A bit more refinement. Feels like it’s going sideways, but I’ll get there sooner or later! :lol: The photo seems to be quite a bit softer than the actual painting, can’t quite figure out what’s going on there. Any else ever have this problem??

WEBSITE

skipstah

This is impressive work! Well done so far, looking forward to the finish.

Thanks Delo~!

NICE! Looking forward to seeing this move along!

Thanks Reed! Still many hours ahead! :wink2:

I like your balance of color and shadows everywhere, so that the rule of thirds seems to be used here. The middle has great contrast with the light at the top and bottom, which helps bring out the people more. I like how you sparingly used vivid colors, so that they are not overused but create just the right effect. I like the modern theme of it as well. This would be a good painting to hang in the kitchen or dining room.

Thx Drey! I did spend a fair bit of time arranging the layout of this one with layers in photoshop from the pile of reference photos I took. You are quite right about the rule of thirds employed. I did choose the 3:2 layout because I thought it framed the central part of the stand best. I also did a quick notan to discover the high contrast of the stand/shadows and people near the center. My initial block in focused on this. Thanks for the complement on colour, but honestly I’m not really thinking about it much. All the dark parts/shadows are basically Ultra B & Burnt Sienna.. any colours laid on top simply pop I think. Thanks for the comments.

WEBSITE

Reed Jones

You did a great job w/ this! Really captures the look of bright artificial lighting. You were smart to keep your shadows so warm. Very well-rendered detail (esp the shadowed face), nice soft edges everywhere. Bravo!

www.reedmichaeljones.com

Critiques and feedback are welcomed!

skipstah

You did a great job w/ this! Really captures the look of bright artificial lighting. You were smart to keep your shadows so warm. Very well-rendered detail (esp the shadowed face), nice soft edges everywhere. Bravo!

Thanks Reed! I think the cool, white lighting at these night fruit stands is what initially attracted me to them. They really do have a neat effect on the assortment of baskets and fruit at night. I was also aware of the reddish street lamps and general warm ambient light bouncing around at night. Tried to work that into the shadows areas. Cheers!

WEBSITE

Really, really fine painting at all stages shown. Very inticing with a lot to see and explore. Color and value working great.

skipstah

Really, really fine painting at all stages shown. Very inticing with a lot to see and explore. Color and value working great.

Many thanks Boogie!
                                            :)

WEBSITE

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.