Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    SunsetSue

Sometimes I will be inspired by a single photo, as in this case. My friend Lee Hoemann took the photograph and kindly let me use it to create Ursus Maritimus. This polar bear was painted in acrylics on a 16 x 20 birch panel. This is the first time I painted on a panel and I found the smooth surface to be quite lovely for painting fur. C & C welcome.

Sue Ellen Cowan[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

"To create one's own world in any of the arts takes courage." - Georgia O'keefe

Sue Ellen, wow, what a magnificent bear and those very cool reflections in an icy environment.

Kay

Moderator: Watermedia, Mixed Media, Abstract/Contemporary

Sue Ellen, no crits from me. This is a superb painting of the polar bear. Excellent work on the fur and also the water. Did you gesso and then sand the birch panel before painting?

Chammi
        My Blog/WIP's and Tips: Chammi's Art Escapades

Wonderful Image!!

Wow! Love it!

Christel

fedetony

Great work… great image :)..

Federico Garcia
            My Blog
            C&C always welcome :D

"...when someone gives a critique of your work, fear not. It usually means they like or care more of your work than when they just pat your back." - Tiago

SunsetSue

Thanks Kay. Thank you Chammi, I just put 3 coats of gesso but did not sand as it seemed very smooth as it was. Thanks L Skylar. Thank you Christel. Thanks Federico. I feel I am finally getting back into my groove.

Triduana

This is a wonderful painting. Love the movement in the water and the texture pf the bear’s fur. The reflections in the water and that icy blue colour are lovely. Great work.

Kay D - Edinburgh, Scotland

So long, and thanks ...

SunsetSue

Thank you Kay. It was one of those pieces that just went smoothly and turned out well. I have several inquiries for purchasing this one and have not even had a chance to show it publicly yet.

mack-n-nc

Love it! Amazing work! Particularly impressed with the ice around the bear, and ‘almost reflection’ of the bear’s nose in front of it…

I love modern technology. I just don't want to touch it!....C&C welcome

Boafamily

You did Mr. Bear proud as this is some mighty fine painting here my friend.

jonc50

Excellent work!!

Beautifully rendered painting of the bear and the water is superb too!

Moderator: Animal & Wildlife, Floral & Botanical, Watermedia

maryinasia

beautiful!

SunsetSue

Thanks so much for all your kind words. My apologies for being so long in answering, I had an MS flare to deal with. Back at my easel and will post again soon.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.