Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting Tomatoes

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    WFMartin

Couldn’t think of any sort of “catchy”, or “ethereal” title for this one, so I’m simply titling it, “Tomatoes”!:lol: (Seems to fit, anyway.):lol: :lol:

This is an oil painting that I did on a 16″ x 20″ RayMar, acrylic-primed, Canvas Panel. As with most of my flower paintings, and still-life paintings, I began this with a very complete grisaille underpainting. Over that, I applied many glaze layers of color, to finally achieve the colors that I desired in the tomatoes.

As is usual with my work, absolutely no alkyd materials were depleted during the creation of this painting.:lol:

Oh, as I recall, I did apply an imprimatura with oil paint, and I may have used Buff Titanium from The Art Treehouse. I always need to have a “fresh” (but dry) layer of oil paint upon which to perform my charcoal transfer. I make a drawing on tracing paper, that is the exact size of the panel, and then I transfer it. The oil painted surface accepts the transfer of the charcoal beautifully.

wfmartin. My Blog "Creative Realism"...
        https://williamfmartin.blogspot.com

Ellis Ammons

m r some nice glomaters right thur

Check out my work in the acrylics Hall of Fame Camellia WIP
            oil and acrylic paintings..

WFMartin

m r some nice glomaters right thur

Hahahaha….Thank you! (I think.) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dcam

Bill: You really captured the tomato skin. Very tactile. Nice composition and spot-on values.
                    Derek

ptrkgmc

Somehow I want a worm hole in that tomato, can you make some adjustments please?

Alan P. in OC

I saw this immediately after I cut up 2 tomatoes:). Love the translucency effect with the light traveling through the tomato. Dig the colorful background too.

The right handle seems to be very bright, and the far-right tomato seems to be lit by it’s own side light. Regardless, it’s a beautiful painting.

PhuongMy

It’s so real.

oil painting (from middle of April 2018)

C&C are always welcome.

bhindi

Superb reds and the background is really nice.

Those reflections on the table are fantastic.

Pinguino

Excellent illustration of using hue shift, rather than adding white, for the more brightly lit parts of the tomatoes.

I know that you like to keep the palette small (as small as W+CMY, in some cases). May I ask, how did you do the shaded part of the foreground tomato? Also, for the reflection of window on its skin, did you scumble, or brush away glaze to show underlying color?

Culinary aside: Where I live, in early Autumn, it is possible to buy “dry farmed” tomatoes. Irrigation is halted as the tomato matures, producing a small but dense fruit, very sweet and flavorful, with a relatively thick skin. You’d never see translucency with those things! Can’t wait until late September, when they are in the markets.

WFMartin

Excellent illustration of using hue shift, rather than adding white, for the more brightly lit parts of the tomatoes.

I actually did mix some white with some Hansa Yellow Deep (The Art Treehouse) for the lighter colors of the tomatoes.

I know that you like to keep the palette small (as small as W+CMY, in some cases). May I ask, how did you do the shaded part of the foreground tomato? Also, for the reflection of window on its skin, did you scumble, or brush away glaze to show underlying color?

You are correct. At any given time, my palette consists of only about 5 to 7 colors. At times, I include a couple of extra yellows, and two, or extra three reds.

I believe that I used two “Reds” (Anthraquinone Red, PR177, and Quinacridone Red, PR209), a Benzimidazolone Orange, PO36 (The Art Treehouse) , and Hansa Yellow Deep, for the tomatoes, in general. For the foreground tomato I may have neutralized, and darkened it with Ivory Black; I don’t remember exactly what I did. (Beauty of being a “color theorist” is that there are literally dozens of ways of mixing colors to achieve a match of the same, target color, once you realize that there are only 3 colors being contributed by every tube of paint you own.):D

floblue

Very nice. Makes me hungry just looking at them.

I usually don’t care for still lives but this in incredible

IG @itssospreadable
                                                Twitter:@TANGODOWN21

Gigalot

The light illumination is incredible!

AllisonR

I usually like your work Bill, but this doesn’t read right to my eyes. The bottom of the pot on the right side seems to be missing, one of the green stems (the one unattached to any tomato) seems to be jumping up in the air, and the lighting on the left side around the pot’s handle does not dissipate soft enough.

Being born places you at a greater risk of dying later in life.

http://www.artallison.com/
                                                      Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.