WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics > The Information Kiosk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#61   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-06-2009, 02:35 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Vinsulla B.C.

Hails from Canada
Re: Master Acrylic Painters' Studies – February 2009 – William Bouguereau (2 selectio

Lulu, I'm so glad you took a break from gardening to paint. I can't wait to get outside again, I am so sick of winter and snow. Looks like a good start!

Rose, that is wonderful! Beautiful skin tones and lovely features. Excellent work

Doctasi, great progress on yours!

Looking good Ozone!

I'm close to finishing mine, not completely happy with the skin tones, so I'm going to let it sit for a bit before I start messing with it too much. Good advice Ruth to practice on a separate piece first. Thank you!
  #62   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-06-2009, 04:27 PM
Vinsulla B.C.

Hails from Canada
Re: Master Acrylic Painters' Studies – February 2009 – William Bouguereau (2 selectio

Well, I think I may be finished with this one. Still not totally happy with the face but the canvas is so slick that the paints are just sitting on top.

11x14in.

It was a great challenge and I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of the entries!
  #63   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-06-2009, 05:35 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States

Rose- come back again if you feel up to it, or just jump in and talk a bunch.

Lillian- it is to soon to lose you from the thread, so Im glad you have decided to postpone the final. And thanks for your kind words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striver
Enjoy, you only have this moment once.

About my effort:
This will be the only time I will ever have to paint a Bouguereau with acrylics. Everyone else will have many opportunities. So only for myself, I am trying to paint as close as I understand, his layering method.

I drew it, inked it, used a green toning layer on the faces.

Now the umber layers, at least two. The color comes from the same bottle, yet the hair has a reddish tint. And while the facial areas are pure umber, the reddish tint is not there because of the greenish undertone. So it is starting to gray already.

In his oil technique he was not allowed to mix white with the umber because it would slow down the drying. So he did not have mixes of umber with different tones. The umber was used like water color, the different tones coming only from the thickness of the umber. Sometimes requiring the additional layers, for a darker tone.

So I am trying the same thing. I am not using mixes of umber with white. I did cheat in two small places, using the white as an eraser. But I can live with that cheat, because if he (using oil) made a mistake, he would just simple wipe off the color. I find this umber water color layer very difficult, especially knowing that the next layer will be white- to just gray the whole thing down anyway.

But this is my only moment, I will not want to ever try this again with such strict limitations. I will go back to my cobalt blue and white for any future paintings that need an under painting. They blend so very well.

Lillian- I was to slow to write and you are finished now. It is a wonderful piece of work. Truly beautiful. I think this proves, not only Lillian's greatness as a painter but also - leave the oil painting methods with the oil painters. I would hang this on my wall any day.

Ozone
  #64   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-06-2009, 08:41 PM
A WC! Legend
Aotearoa NZ

Re: Master Acrylic Painters' Studies – February 2009 – William Bouguereau (2 selections)

Rose that is beautiful! you have really captured her soulful expression.

Lillian, what a wonderful finish!

Ozone, I really like your cherubs too, and you are doing well to do the actual method of Bouguereau - good for you, it's looking good!
There's a man (Mikey) in the critique forum who is doing Bouguereau portraits that you might like to take a look at.

For me, I think mine will definitely be ala Lulu lol it's enough of a challenge to paint realistically with a 'proper' background! I'm enjoying it though.
Am plugging away no real accuracy with the palette, and verticals etc to correct, greenery to paint and left background next Ruth where are you?? btw you wouldn't get near the Lily Pad today, World Hydroplane champs on the lake and all cafes over-flowing with people - our rural peace is shattered this w/end with the noise!

Anyhoo, enuf of rambling here is my update.
  #65   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-06-2009, 11:04 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States

I will check out Mikey and may I say ala Lulu, or ala Lillian or ala Rose is just fine and the smart way to go. There is never enuf rambling say I.

Your update looks so much like Lillian's first, that the two of you must paint in the same order. You will probably frame this when you are finished for your front room wall. It looks very good.

I am thru for tonight, but happier with my painting. I am using some Golden open medium, and it is working better than before. Getting just that little extra edge for blending umber into umber

I have never done a dead layer either(next-up), so I don't know exactly what to expect. But I have learned so many things from this, and I can't put them in words.

Let me ask a question that really doesn't need an answer. Why do our eyes seam to correct things that don't need to be corrected? Like the little girl cherub, her eyes are on an angle, and I repeatedly try to paint them horizontally!

I am sad in a way that Lillian finished so early, because when it is finished, it is over. I never like a good time to be over.

See everyone tomorrow I hope, goodnight Lulu.

Oz
  #66   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-07-2009, 12:53 AM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from New Zealand
Re: Master Acrylic Painters' Studies – February 2009 – William Bouguereau (2 selections)

Ozone you are so sweet missing little old me!
Busy mums must look after their kiddos and the hubby before hobbies.

Everyone is doing magical work! wowza!

ok sort time online today so here is my progress....

still dieing on the dead layer.... (ok - so I'm not funny so I'll stick to painting)
Unfortunately the computer has made my picture darker than it really is. But thats the state of things at present. Still have a bit to do on this layer yet.
  #67   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-07-2009, 12:13 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States

Oh, good the return of Godzoned. I thought we had lost you. I agree completely with your priorities.

I wonder if you have printed the reference in grayscale, that can be a big help in guiding you. You can still do much with this painting, but it will be harder because it is so small.

It is hard to paint small features, with a large brush isn't it? I would guess it is like trying to put on finger nail polish with a house brush.

"Dying in the dead layer" we don't want that to happen. rember when this layer is finished, you should only have to tint for the finish, so take extra time with this layer.

Oz
  #68   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-07-2009, 01:00 PM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from New Zealand

Thanks Ozone.
I've switched to a number 0 brush so its not so bad. I'm loving doing this. Just need to adjust the right eye. Do the left hand and the feet.
Then some of the background.

Its different to how I normally paint and I'm really enjoying it.
  #69   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-07-2009, 01:13 PM
Vinsulla B.C.

Hails from Canada

Thank you so much Ozone! I'm afraid I lack the patience to ever be a great painter that is why I paint in acrylics, because they are quick . I won't be far away though, like Godzoned said there are lots of challenges this month. I'll be checking back to see everyone's progress!
Thank you Lulu, yours is looking good!
  #70   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-07-2009, 02:25 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States

I just checked my work from last night. I gave a second try to the golden open's. Both times they appeared smooth when I finished, and each time they have dried blotchy. The surface is both tacky to the touch and slick at the same time. There is no tooth remaining.

I caught the paint actually moving. I have never had that happen before, don't intend for it to happen again. Bye, bye open's.

I don't care about the longevity of this work, so I will paint a milky layer or two of gesso over the work, try to gain some tooth and restart. I wonder if the gesso will stick?

Couturej warned of this. I did not listen. I better buy a new canvas as well, just in case.

Ha, ha,

The sun is shinin' it's a new morning
I'm goin'
I'm goin' to try again

[email protected]
  #71   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-07-2009, 02:32 PM
Enthusiast
Northland New Zealand

Hails from New Zealand

Will some warm air help?
Les
  #72   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-07-2009, 03:15 PM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from New Zealand

oh golly that sounds rather drastic!

Drastic, Drastic
don't go spastic!

eeek! ok I won't sing. Its catching Ozone! stop it!
  #73   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-07-2009, 03:39 PM
Enthusiast
Northland New Zealand

Hails from New Zealand

Do not know Golden Opens, but with Atelier and Matisse have often used a hair dryer to aid Acrylic drying, normaly dries quite quickly as you know, are you using any retard or mediums with the Acrylic. Interesting! Tempt here around 26C and drying almost as you paint.
perhaps i should not interfere.

Kind regards
Les
  #74   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-07-2009, 04:36 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States

Thanks Godzoned- no I'm cool, it is only a flesh wound.

les- stop and contribute anytime. I normally use only water, then tried some GO. I have a good heat gun actually, but it really doesn't appear to dry it. Tried GO twice, that's enough.

I have never painted this way either Godzoned, only have an imagination of what a dead layer might look like.

This is all really fun, you still have time to start if you want les.

Hey look, am I lucky or what. The best my painting has looked so far. Sort of an instant dead layer. More gesso. Hey, who said put on more gesso, ha ha.

If you all are paying attention here, you must learn something. She has turned a nice soft gray. If I did not have to repair some features, it would be almost ready for the color layers.

Im going to paint some now, thanks guys.

Yo, Werewolves of London

Ozone
  #75   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-07-2009, 04:48 PM
Enthusiast
Northland New Zealand

Hails from New Zealand

Cheers will do.
What is Go?
Have a couple of copies I done while back of Boozie, hiding around somewhere, will show if you like, took forever and I was way out of my depth but did it stretch me. One of these you are doing.
Like your humour in this thread, nice group
Regards
Les