WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics > The Information Kiosk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-02-2009, 01:32 AM
Veteran Member
Auckland New Zealand

Hails from New Zealand
Re: MTM Classroom - Trees & Foliage

thanks Susan so are yours & everybodys

https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/...09102502462071 See me on Facebook See Works For Sale http://www.nzartguild.co.nz/Prickles
  #32   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-02-2009, 02:51 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United Kingdom

Great thread Elizabeth!! ....I will be back to hopefully learn something here!
  #33   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-02-2009, 07:42 AM
A Local Legend
Southern Michigan

Hails from United States

Hi Briar! Welcome to the MTM world of trees! You've given us some very interesting and beautiful photos to ponder.

Those first two, I can't help thinking, would make great abstracts! Though we won't be doing any in this class, Kathy (AMuse) just presented some awesome techniques in the last class in case anyone is interested or missed it. That thread can be found here: Abstract MTM Classroom.

Love love love the looking up perspective and back-lighting in the first photo and the leaf patterns in 1 & 2!

I'm glad that you also included a couple of pictures of weeping willows. They are such beautiful trees! The first photo shows so well how these trees have grown up together in harmony. The leaf mass over the water has become as one entity.

The last photo illustrates perfectly the structure of the weeping willow and would make either or both an excellent study and/or painting, in my opinion. This is my favorite of the bunch!

Thank you SO much for posting these!

Elizabeth

My Website: www.CrabtreeOriginals.com
  #34   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-02-2009, 08:09 AM
A Local Legend
Southern Michigan

Hails from United States

WoW Susan! These are wonderful! I had never heard of such a tree that bears leaves all winter and pushes the old off as the new comes in. VERY interesting stuff. I'm happy to see these examples (and more!)

Your first photo is one of the best examples we've seen on the de-saturation of color as the trees fade into the distance. The picture is already set up too with a nice focal point to the right, complete with the brightest leaves pointing to it. Awesome photo!

I like the second too, but because of the hill behind the trees, there's little depth shown. It would still make a good study if one was to consider a painting with a variety of intermingling trees.

You '07 photo is awesome and I'm finding it hard to believe you don't think yourself competent to paint this scene! It will make an outstanding painting! I hope you try it during this class...maybe during the fall foliage portion!

The last two are nice examples of texture, especially bark, which is coming up. I love the airy leaf growth too of the one outside the Dr's office. Very unique!

I think the last photo would make a wonderful painting as well, including Bob! Having the figure in the tree gives the viewer the perfect clue as to the size of the beautiful tree. I LOVE that interesting branch in the lower right. Usually we want to paint branches upright (I'm so guilty of this) but this illustrates the unique and interesting directions of branches that sometimes appear in nature.

As for taking the camera outside for more shots, that is what I was hoping everyone would do. Go out and look at trees. See their individuality and relationship to the others. Look for views that show at least 3 layers of depth and examples of balance. Maybe some shots also with a distinct direction of light!

The winter, in my opinion, is one of the BEST times to study trees. We're going to be doing bark studies too so a variety of barks would be perfect as well!

Thank you so much for these and I can't wait to see what you bring back for us!

Elizabeth

#35   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-02-2009, 08:13 AM
A Local Legend
Maryland, USA

I'm looking forward to these lessons since I could use some practice with forest interior scenes: I need to paint better trees of actual species vs. "generic trees" that aren't as realistic. I think we all tend to fall into that trap, but once you know the trees of the woods, you want to do better than that in your paintings.

Still much to paint and much to learn!
My Blog My Print Gallery
  #36   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-02-2009, 08:14 AM
A Local Legend
Southern Michigan

Hails from United States

Hi Anne!

How wonderful to see you! I would be so happy to have you join us and look forward to it!

We will be putting brush to paper (or canvas) tomorrow if all goes as planned. In the meantime, I hope you and the rest of the class and onlookers are enjoying the studies.

Until soon!

Elizabeth

#37   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-02-2009, 08:54 AM
Resting in Peace
60mi North of NYC

Hails from United States

Morning, when we get to bark and leaves I'm afraid I have tons of references, but these I thought would be okay to post now too.

Thinking of abstracts...

See ya later,
Elaine

Art is a collaboration between God and the artist, and the less the artist does the better. André Gide Forum Projects: Plant Parade projects in
Florals/Botanicals,
Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
  #38   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-02-2009, 09:12 AM
A Local Legend
Southern Michigan

Hails from United States

Good morning Elaine!

You're right, that first one especially would make a magnificent abstract! It even has an "eye!"

Great close up on the second of deadwood. This photo is interesting as it is like a metaphor depicting life and death or young and old. Love the different textures too!

The elegance of the main tree in photo three is wonderful! She also seems to be a natural leader. Nice view here too of the tree's bark AND some distinct lighting which always helps during the painting process!

In the forth and last, I like the way this shows that the land underneath our subjects does not necessarily need to be horizontal. The diagonal line adds interest to the composition. I also like the way the big tree seems to be sheltering the rest.

Great photos, all around!

Glad to know you have plenty of bark photos too for tomorrow!

Thank you so much, my friend!

Elizabeth

#39   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-02-2009, 09:44 AM
A Local Legend
Southern Michigan

Hails from United States

Good Monday Morning my fellow tree and landscape lovers!

Before we move on to doing some actual painting, I thought it might be helpful and interesting to take a look at some examples of trees by other artists.

The first featured artist is John F. Carlson. If you haven’t already read it, I highly recommend his book: Carlson’s Guide to Landscape Painting. Within the book, there is so much valuable information not only about landscapes and trees, but painting techniques in general. Here is a link where you can read a short bio about John and see one of his paintings. John F. Carlson.

Next example is a painting by Asher Brown Durand. Notice the great depth he was able to achieve and lessening of detail from front to back. The lighting in this and all of his painting is extraordinary!

Another awesome landscape depicting some magnificent trees along with the illusion of depth and distance and excellent light is this painting by George Hetzel.

This painting by Arthur Parton gives us another look at depth, light and variation of tone and color. As a bonus, the rocks depicted in this painting are phenomenal! I had a difficult time finding any good links for Arthur. Here is one that shows some of his beautiful trees: Arthur Parton - trees.

Just in case you didn't realize it, the current projects offered over in the "Masters Acrylic Painters" feature are 2 landscapes by Albert Bierstadt. These would be awesome paintings to try and do along with this classroom or after. The feature can be found here: Master Acrylic Painters' Studies – March 2009 – Albert Bierstadt (2 selections)

ASSIGNMENT: In addition to tree photos, I’d like to add another assignment. Please look for outstanding examples of paintings with trees in them from past artists. Post only what you consider the best examples (1 or 2 would be perfect). It would also be wonderful if you would add your thoughts about the paintings you post and the paintings presented by other members.

ASSIGNMENT:
Please share your favorite book recommendations that illustrates well the painting of trees and landscapes.

Looking forward to seeing what all of you find for us!

Elizabeth

#40   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-02-2009, 12:20 PM
A Local Legend
Maryland, USA

Talking Re: MTM Classroom - Trees & Foliage

Susan (susme48): I think I know the ID of your mystery trees that hold on to their leaves. The oak species in question is probably Sawtooth Oak (a non-native tree, but it does produce great amounts of acorns.) We have some of them here in Maryland, and they hold to their leaves much longer than other oaks or almost any other tree. The trees with the ghostly, pale tan leaves are most like American Beech trees - they have grey, smooth bark, correct? We have forests full of them here, and they hold to their pale leaves just as described.

Elizabeth (edtree): Glad to hear that you're feeling better! Nice paintings... I love the Hudson River School style... wish I could paint that well!

Still much to paint and much to learn!
My Blog My Print Gallery
  #41   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-02-2009, 02:04 PM
Resting in Peace
60mi North of NYC

Hails from United States

Elizabeth those examples are beautiful, the first is one of my favorites too, so don't have to post that one..lol
There are so many and of course living in the Hudson Valley I would definitely associate with this school.

But I have two that I'm fond of, the first by Isaac
Levitan, a classic Russian landscape artist. I love his detail and mood, this one is a favorite of mine...Rushy Pond.

And then there is my other extreme which is Durer, but he's not particularly known for landscapes. I fell in love with all his works early on, I pretty much was into figures and portraits and have only done two landscapes in my life time..haha but the man was incredible in everything he did. This one I like for it's simplicity, there are always masses of trees which are wonderful but in this one the rather simplistic approach appeals to me and yet the feeling is dramatic. I believe it's simply called Tree in Field. Not easy to find many if any of his landscapes I happened on this while looking for something else he had done and just saved it, everything about it attracted the likes of me..lol

I actually don't have any books I've only just started thinking I could even
approach a landscape but would be interested in others recommendations.

Elaine

Art is a collaboration between God and the artist, and the less the artist does the better. André Gide Forum Projects: Plant Parade projects in
Florals/Botanicals,
Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
  #42   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-02-2009, 03:12 PM
A Local Legend
Southern Michigan

Hails from United States

Hi Matthew!

Oh how I wish my level of expertise was even a fraction of that of the Hudson River School Painters. It's great to see others who share my admiration of this group of extremely talented landscape artists. Thank you so much for stopping in and for the kind comment about my health!

Elizabeth

P.S. Thanks too for the additional information about Susan's trees!

#43   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-02-2009, 03:23 PM
Immortalized
Buckeye living with the Gators

Hails from United States

A few pictures...
The first is an oak tree with spanish moss.

Palm tree...

More palm trees...

Cypress swamp...

Redbud tree...

Juniper berries...

Fungi...

I tried to get a variety.
  #44   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-02-2009, 03:24 PM
A Local Legend
Southern Michigan

Hails from United States

Hi Elaine!

We must be on the same wavelength as I almost chose your first selection in my post! I love this painting. The limited palette is so appealing and I believe adds to the mood and atmosphere of the painting. The attention to detail is also magnificent! Great example!

Love the other one too!! It shows distance and its effect on color so well and the focal tree is so perfect in its imperfections. It also great to have an example of midground shrubs and trees against a more sparse background - so much easier to see those elements that way.

I didn't realize that you hadn't completed very many landscapes! Probably because of your level of expertise painting clouds is near or AT mastery! I have a feeling you're going to shine no matter what subject you tackle. I'm looking forward to seeing your studies once we get started!

Thank you so much for your valuable input and participation!

Elizabeth

#45   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-02-2009, 03:34 PM
Immortalized
Buckeye living with the Gators

Hails from United States

Albert Bierstadt is one of my favorite artists. He is probably one of the first artists that I noticed and became interested in.

Looking Up the Yosemite Valley - I like how the trees and mountains disappear into the distance and the colors and the light. It is like being there.

Oregon Trail - Love the light in this one and the feeling of dust in the air.

Now if I could just paint like this and remember what I like and why I like them when I am painting, LOL.