WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics > The Information Kiosk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-01-2009, 01:09 PM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from United Kingdom
Re: MTM Classroom - Trees & Foliage

Hi Elizabeth,

Firstly, I'm glad you are feeling better - and send you the very best wishes possible for your continued good health!

Secondly, what a great class! Thanks so much for the time and effort you have put into this superb learning experience. I don't have time to participate over the next couple of weeks - but will be watching and will certainly do some tree studies soon and I know this will be a great help.

Looking forward to seeing everyone's work!

Alison
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-01-2009, 01:15 PM
A Local Legend
Southern Michigan

Hails from United States

You've provided some wonderful examples Marion!

Photos 1 and 5 show well the intermingling of the trees branches...how they complement and respect one another without encroaching.

The first photo also shows something I didn't mention which is how perspective effects trees and other landscape elements. For further study, here's a link to Charlie's Mum's recent classroom thread on perspective: Perspective Need Not Frighten you.

Photos 3, 4 and 5 are great examples of tree balance.

The third one is my pick of the litter. The mid-ground tree has wonderfully distinct light coming from the right. The tree also has so much character! This would make the best painting, in my opinion, whether a crop is chosen or the entire scene is used, including the animals in the foreground.

Thanks for sharing these!

Elizabeth

My Website: www.CrabtreeOriginals.com
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-01-2009, 01:34 PM
A Local Legend
Southern Michigan

Hails from United States

Beautiful examples, Kathleen! !

The first two are excellent examples on the growth patterns of branches. References like these are invaluable when doing foreground elements and details! The boughs poking in to the scene from the side in photo five would also be helpful if one wished to put some of these in the foreground of their painting.

Photo three is a bit dark, but would be very helpful for someone looking for an example of pine trees, especially those in the distance where all you see are the shapes along the top.

One thing I recently noticed about pine trees was the way the upper branches point toward the sky, the middle ones are toward the horizontal and the bottom ones point toward the ground. The pines with the snow on them in the 4th photo really brings this to light!

Pines also have a very close relationship to each other, one might even say, an intimate one. This is shown nicely in your 4th and 6th photo. If it weren’t for the separate tops, it would be difficult to tell how many trees were pictured. These are all great things to remember when rendering them with paint.

A nice blend of different tree types in the last photo. They appear almost to be posing! The snow/ice effect on the branches is lovely!

My pick from this group would have to be the ***** willows. I think with a muted background, this would make a fantastic painting!

Thank you so much for sharing these, Kathleen!

#19   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-01-2009, 01:37 PM
A Local Legend
Southern Michigan

Hails from United States

Hi Alison! Thank you so much for the kind thoughts and wishes on my health!

I'm sorry to hear that you won't have time to paint along with us, but I'm glad you're going to be peeking in from time to time. Of course, the thread will be available even after the class, as you know, lol, and I will be attending to it as long as there are posts.

I'm so glad to see you, my friend. Thank you for posting.

Elizabeth

#20   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-01-2009, 02:00 PM
Resting in Peace
60mi North of NYC

Hails from United States

Here's a few, I tend to take pictures for reference not so much comp but maybe these would be of interest to some. I have tons but don't want to fill up all the space..lol

Think I'll leave the "winter" to Kathleen but I got one I like.

Some trees n woods on my property.
Looking through a Black Walnut bough to others.

Spotted this old man on road side and eventually would like to use him in something.

All the photos are amazing wow one could have a seriously good time here..lol
Elaine

Art is a collaboration between God and the artist, and the less the artist does the better. André Gide Forum Projects: Plant Parade projects in
Florals/Botanicals,
Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-01-2009, 02:39 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from New Zealand

Hi All

Hi Elizabeth thank you for taking the time to host this class and for sharing your tip and ideas with us.

the pic are all great I will see I can dig some up

#22   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-01-2009, 02:44 PM
A Local Legend
Southern Michigan

Hails from United States

Hi Elaine! So glad to have you add some of your beautiful examples/refs to the mix!

I really like the first one too! It shows some lovely color transitions into the background and I like the wee bits of autumn still hanging on here and there amongst the wintry branches.

Those branch fingers/arms coming down from the top of #2 are wonderful! The brilliant green foliage makes an awesome backdrop too! This is a great example of just how dark trees can be in a picture or painting.

#3 would be perfect with some children and a dog in it; wouldn’t it? The trees are wonderful! What a great mix!

When I saw #4, I had an “Ahhh” moment. NICE sense of depth and distancing in this photo. Beautiful light, and that spot of bright light really pulls the eye into the scene.

#5 shows nicely some very interesting tree trunk shapes and growth. The far left is especially unique! Love the cat I there too, lol!

#6 illustrates well the value differences between sky, land and trees. I wish I knew how to turn photos to black and white. Maybe someone will do that for me????

Elaine, if you paint either 7 or 8, you won’t have to search for a title. “This Old Man” would be perfect! I’m already in love with this tree too! Great bark texture; so much character with a wonderfully unique but balanced structure. The V trunk is an added bonus!

As for my pick of the bunch, it is a tie between number 4 and number 8! Lots of good possibilities though in all!

Thank you so much for sharing these!!!

Elizabeth

#23   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-01-2009, 02:46 PM
A Local Legend
Southern Michigan

Hails from United States

Hi Graham!

Happy to see you, and have you join in the tree-mania! I can't wait to see what great tree photos you come up with!

Elizabeth

#24   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-01-2009, 03:44 PM
Resting in Peace
60mi North of NYC

Hails from United States

Elizabeth which ones were you thinking of, I know I can turn them for you and I'm sure anyone who has photoshop can as well...your wish is my commmand just tell me which ones. Here's #6 now it can actually go black and white but
greyscale is something I often do just for the reasons you pointed out.

Here's another that allows the values to show as far as the leaves and layers a tree has. Offers a little insight into light play too I think, defining what might be missed in color..you have an excellent idea about viewing in black and white, really gives you greater familiarity I believe anyway.

Art is a collaboration between God and the artist, and the less the artist does the better. André Gide Forum Projects: Plant Parade projects in
Florals/Botanicals,
Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-01-2009, 04:01 PM
A Local Legend
Southern Michigan

Hails from United States

Bless you, Elaine! I appreciate the assistance!

What I wanted to point out in that first one is the difference in values between the sky (the brightest), the land (second brightest, or mid-range) and the trees (the darkest) which is the general rule. It shows up beautifully here in grayscale!

The leaf patterns are wonderfully enhanced in the second photo! This would be very handy for tree/detailing!

Elizabeth

#26   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-01-2009, 06:15 PM
Southern California, USA

Hails from United States

I am very excited to be a part of this class! Can't wait to get started!
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-01-2009, 06:28 PM
A Local Legend
Southern Michigan

Hails from United States

Hi Kaitlyn!

I'm thrilled that you'll be joining us! Let me know if there's something in particular that you would like to have shown or discussed, and also, feel free to post some tree photos!

I'm thinking we will start painting on Tuesday. Tomorrow I hope to present some additional observation material.

Until soon,

Elizabeth

#28   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-01-2009, 08:47 PM
Veteran Member
Auckland New Zealand

Hails from New Zealand

Hi Elizabeth & everybody its great to be here hehehehe I am home for another week to bother everyone annoying Graham manly

here are some pics from New Zealand 1st one being a NZ Fern Punga, then a fruit salad and 2 of a Willow

https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/...09102502462071 See me on Facebook See Works For Sale http://www.nzartguild.co.nz/Prickles
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-01-2009, 11:20 PM
A WC! Legend
In Her Own Mind & a few people in MS

Hails from United States

Elizabeth...so sorry you were ill!! Glad you are better now!! Trees....I am surrounded by trees....so if there is a particular set up you want I bet I can find it.... We have 17 acres of trees here...and another 7 about 45 miles away. No northern varieties....but otherwise...I have places so dense you cannot walk thru' it. And areas where you can just see one tree. Trees on the hillside...or down in the hollow. Trees by a pond, trees by a small creek, trees by a large creek. There are swampy areas and rivers and large lakes just a few minutes away. Just ask if you need something and Bubba and I will take the camera out looking. Only problem I see is that most are leafless right now...tho' many are starting to bud. The forsythia is in bloom and the azaleas are starting...and the wild wisteria that winds around the trees, should not be far behind.

Here are just a few I have taken...and one that Bob took...or well someone took of him in a huge tree, just for fun.

There are two trees around here that don't lose their leaves during the fall. One is a type of oak (not live) that pushes the old off as the new come out, and the other is one that fascinates me. It has light colored leaves...almost tan right now; it looks almost ghostly back in among all the other leafless trees and the pines. As you drive by...the woods look dark and dense, and then there they are....all these light leaves...and the limbs seem to be almost horizontal rather than angled. Yesterday I took a number of pics of them...rainy or not....hoping to be able to use one somehow. Here are two pics of them....

Name:  treesforwc10b.jpg
Views: 1489
Size:  157.7 KB
Name:  treesforwc1b.jpg
Views: 1444
Size:  242.4 KB

This is a photo I took in the fall of 07...and have wanted to paint, but was not feeling competent enough.

Name:  treesforwc7.jpg
Views: 1418
Size:  171.0 KB

This one is outside of our doctor's office....I sacrificed the colors in the sky, to show the tree, since it was in alot of shadow...

Name:  treesforwc3.jpg
Views: 1408
Size:  97.2 KB

And this is Bob, up a tree, years before we met...

Name:  treesforwc8.jpg
Views: 1416
Size:  124.2 KB
"Who said one paints with colors? One employs colors, but one paints with feeling."

~Jean-Baptiste-Siméon Chardin
Susan's Soul________ Blog_______ Yessy
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-01-2009, 11:23 PM
A WC! Legend
In Her Own Mind & a few people in MS

Hails from United States

Briar your trees are wonderful!!
"Who said one paints with colors? One employs colors, but one paints with feeling."

~Jean-Baptiste-Siméon Chardin
Susan's Soul________ Blog_______ Yessy