WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics > The Information Kiosk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#61   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-04-2009, 09:42 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from New Zealand
Re: MTM Jan.1-14 Painting Clouds n Skies

Hi

Elaine it took about a 1 1/2 hours i still dont thick there that easy

Sheary your clouds are looking great it nice to see other skies.

Mary thank you, and your sky is coming on nicly too
  #62   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-04-2009, 10:15 PM
A WC! Legend
In Her Own Mind & a few people in MS

Hails from United States

Wow, Graham, I'm glad I put them up...looks great!!

Sheary...nice job!

Mary...now for the clouds!
"Who said one paints with colors? One employs colors, but one paints with feeling."

~Jean-Baptiste-Siméon Chardin
Susan's Soul________ Blog_______ Yessy
  #63   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-04-2009, 10:19 PM
Resting in Peace
60mi North of NYC

Hails from United States

Okay guess I should post one too..haha
Went further then I would have liked but I promise I'll take better WIP progressions from here on in.

I seem to be having a little problem with my camera, the surface looks bent and very blurry but I can't seem to get it straightened out, I will work on it.

This for me is my setting the stage, stage, I will eventually after working the remaining areas go back in and hopefully pull my shadows and my lighter areas in together so there is a more subtle transition. I also added some sky holes just to break up the clouds some.

As I see it in my head it is a cold cloud that I'm looking for on a clear day, which means my grays have to be lightened a little. I'll come back in with a bit of blue added to some white and build in layers till I get where I want to be. My white areas should become brighter and my shadowed areas should lighten in value...anyway that's the plan.

Stopping for now and will see you tomorrow..

Art is a collaboration between God and the artist, and the less the artist does the better. André Gide Forum Projects: Plant Parade projects in
Florals/Botanicals,
Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
  #64   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-04-2009, 10:36 PM
Resting in Peace
60mi North of NYC

Hails from United States

Hi Graham..
Quote:
i still dont thick there that easy
Maybe easy is not the best word but in an hour an a half you got intense feeling, and in an hour in a half you created a cloudscape and that's a WOW! Easy no, but the more you do and the more you "see" each one will become easier, so it's a progressive term it gets easier because you get more familiar...does that make sense?? lol If you have the time I hope you don't stop cause you're doing great!!!

If ya wanted you could always use the one you did and try a different approach, add some more grays or lighter values maybe to the large cluster, blending them into the blues, giving them some thin wisps to show a layering, play with it, or not, tis wonderful as is.

Don't if you want to keep this one as is, but since acrylics are magic paint...hahaha you can change it around with ease, not saying you should just saying you could. This is "play" time after all.. I play all the time..haha

Art is a collaboration between God and the artist, and the less the artist does the better. André Gide Forum Projects: Plant Parade projects in
Florals/Botanicals,
  #65   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-05-2009, 02:28 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from New Zealand

hi

im not one to give up (yet ) so i did another one

i like the top side but the underside shadows ????
may trying to put in to much color?
  #66   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-05-2009, 05:40 AM
North East England.

Hails from England

Quickie, cos all are doing so well!
Graham - adding more paint layers might help with those shadows?
Adding paint in layers gives lovely richness because all the colours and layers before peep through and allow nice build-ups
Love the colours there !

Susan - adding photos here, for this project/class is the best idea! .. and as we can get those large images now, it's great!

Keep going everyone - well done!!

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in Florals/Botanicals, Weekend Drawing Events in the All Media Arts Events forum. Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
**Information Kiosk~Acrylics**
**Reference Image Library**
**My SAA website**
  #67   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-05-2009, 08:50 AM
Resting in Peace
60mi North of NYC

Hails from United States

Morning Maureen, Graham - Everyone,

Graham, I took the liberty of playing with your panel I hope you don't mind.
I do agree with Maureen, you need some more layers of paint.
As well I think you could do a bit more blending, bringing those layers into one another more.

Now perhaps "not" as much as I did, because your style is your style and that's good. Your colors are not the problem either, whatever you choose is also good. Your interpretation in color is great actually, full of light.

What I'm seeing in the lower half is a little confusion let's say about which is your "leading" color, base tone that you would carry throughout.
You did it in the top to a degree and I think that's why you like that area,
and I agree, the bottom seems, even to your eye, to not be "harmonious" and I think it's because your colors rather stand alone. If you would, in your style try adding more paint layers, blending a bit more and see if you come to be better satisfied. I circled areas in the one I tweaked taken from your original, the more neutral ones but they are your colors.

I'm so enjoying your company and your doing great with the clouds, try this and tell me what you think if you like. Looking forward to seeing your style and maybe some of the suggestions come together.

Elaine

Florals/Botanicals,
  #68   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-05-2009, 10:54 AM
Veteran Member
Southbury, Connecticut

Hails from United States

Elaine, I know it's off topic but where in NY are you located now? I actually used to work in Fishkill and have a few friends in the Newburgh area.

Thanks again for this thread. I think that I am going to give a try with one of my reference photos from when I went to Hawaii back in summer of 07.

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed." - Einstein
  #69   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-05-2009, 11:13 AM
Resting in Peace
60mi North of NYC

Hails from United States

Hi Scott...ahhhh Hawaii, my favorite place, we went too a couple of times,
Maui, great skies there can't wait to see what you choose and soooo happy you're here and going to join in.

I live in a little place called Campbell Hall, between Newburgh and Goshen.
I grew up in Newburgh and I'm sure I'm a whole lot older then you..lol
but who knows you may know the kids of people I know..hahahaha And I wouldn't worry bout off topic I tend to go there alot..haha Took a peek at your site you are extremely good, I love your work, what a delight to have you come into this thread, thank you.

Well will see you in awhile then, once you choose post your choice if you will, or even if you'd like to share photos with us, it's all about "seeing" to me..lol

Elaine

Florals/Botanicals,
  #70   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-05-2009, 12:30 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint

Elaine, by coincidence, about the same time you started this thread, I posted three cloud pics in acrylics under "causeway bridge". these took between 1 and 1.5 h each. 12 x 16 on canvas panel. I won't Xpost them here, but any comments/critiques are valid.
Jim
  #71   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-05-2009, 04:03 PM
Northwestern PA

Hails from United States

well, I am thinking I have TONS to learn here!! I put a second coat on my sky, then started the clouds,, I wish my computer was beside my easel, but it isnt so I printed out the beginning lesson,
can I just say I suck,, ?! but here it is, so far,,
Attached Images

Sometimes, life is a bowl of cherries, sometimes it's the pits.
  #72   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-05-2009, 04:09 PM
Northwestern PA

Hails from United States

it looks much more yellow here, than it really is. but it still is awful!! yuck!

Sometimes, life is a bowl of cherries, sometimes it's the pits.
  #73   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-05-2009, 05:14 PM
Resting in Peace
60mi North of NYC

Hails from United States

Hi Jim...Welcome. I think my first and final comment will be, these are masterfully done!! I also know that all else I say will be nothing more then what I perhaps would have done not so much a critique. So with that in mind please be patient with me..lol

I took a good deal of time looking at each one, and each one is full of great movement. On the 1st I probably would have had massed the fore cloud more, and on the outer edges would have suggested my whitest area to correspond with the light on the water and bridge. I would also have had more sky showing with the cloud cover thin but visible.

As my clouds receded I would have played up the depth and darkness of them which would lead me into your darkest area. Also giving me the thought of one behind the other. They just might not have been as dominant so that the beauty of your water and bridge was complimented by them not overwhelmed by them. In the end I would suggest that V shape on it's side which would also keep me from being to centered....all this again just my thoughts. And I would be most eager to hear what you think of those.

I took the liberty of playing just a little bit with your first one, I truly hope that is not offensive to you and I will not post it here but rather will send the "what I would have done" to you in a PM, since you did not post it. I am far better in showing then saying and I apologize for that. Of course it would be in your brush strokes your style and that you will have to imagine those I'm afraid because it is not my good fortune to be as good as you are with that style of painting.

The second one seems to relate better to what I'm saying about the first but in reverse, in that one I see excellent harmony and balance and the depth achieved very well. The third I very much like that one, especially the colors, the concept of them I think is well accomplished and very painterly in it's presentation. Actually reminds me some of the one I posted here that I did awhile ago, how the clouds at times roll in thickly to touch the earth or water.

I would like to know which of these three you are more drawn to, which of these three do you consider better then the others, if any. And I would ask you as well to perhaps consider posting the one you might favor more here and tell others your approach and your colors, a verbal WIP if you will, I think it would be of tremendous inspiration and help to others. But that is totally up to you. You have amazing talent and there is so much to learn from seeing that talent!

Thank you for coming into this thread it is an honor to have you here.

Elaine

Florals/Botanicals,
  #74   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-05-2009, 05:29 PM
Resting in Peace
60mi North of NYC

Hails from United States

Mary...shame on you haha You Do Not Suck!! Take your time you've got the shape and the depth is coming, so relax just play let it all come together instinctively, it will. Lessons from anyone are for reading and taking from but they are not tablets of stone just little headlights...lol
Hmmm It does look very yellow, what are you mixing as far as colors...?

Elaine

Florals/Botanicals,
  #75   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-05-2009, 05:37 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from New Zealand

Hi All

good morring Elaine, Maureen, Mary, Jim and all

Elaine, Maureen i'll give that a go

Mary your is coming on well

as for me i gave it another go

this one i'm not so unhappy with they look fluffy and have 3D shape.