WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics > The Information Kiosk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-03-2009, 02:40 PM
Austin, Texas

Hails from United States
Re: MTM Jan.1-14 Painting Clouds n Skies

Hi and thanks for the response and suggestions. Here are some digitals of my Painting. I've never uploaded anything other than digital images to the library, so I don't know how these will help you to see what is going on. I see that the color is a little off. Actual color is closest to the last pic.

But hopefully you can see where there are breaks in the smooth transition of sky color that I am trying to fix.

I was thinking of taking a paper towel or sponge and load the color wetter than a brush, and maybe "glaze" over the boundary line.

Again, thanks for your willingness to teach us struggling newbies. Stay blest. bobAttachment 421851

Attachment 421852

Attachment 421853
Attached Images

#32   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-03-2009, 03:12 PM
Resting in Peace
60mi North of NYC

Hails from United States

Hi Barb, ahh so nice to have you watching, so comforting to me, really!

Andy, thank you too for watching and oh yes I'll bet you can have some real times with clouds and planes, must say you're very good!!

Hi Bob, that's just lovely!! Sometimes even tho we can't see as much as you can being in front of a work it helps us to see at least some of what you might be, also stops people like me from rattling on in the dark..lol anyway. Actually I'm thinking it's not as bad as I would have thought from what you were saying. I seriously wouldn't take a paper towel to wet with paint , too much fiber can come off one and remain stuck on your surface.

Layering is a good idea but I would use a brush, thin out your "middle" value and go over the lines you see, blend it upward and downward as many times as it takes for those lines to blend in. Too much water really doesn't work in my experience you don't get the paint you get a runny mess and it's deceiving, it'll look fine til it dries, a semi-moist brush with a neutral mid value will lay paint that you can blend out and will vanish into the darker area without changing it much at all. A sponge hmm don't know but unless you started out with one I would think even faintly it would leave it's mark in a texture. Soft bristle flats always seem to work for me. Glazing a bit different.

Seriously I wouldn't over work it, I may not be seeing exactly what you are
but I'm not seeing such a separation of color that just a little layering persistence couldn't fix...I really like it, wonderful piece of work!! Please let me know how you make out.

Elaine

Art is a collaboration between God and the artist, and the less the artist does the better. André Gide Forum Projects: Plant Parade projects in
Florals/Botanicals,
Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
  #33   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-03-2009, 03:35 PM
Resting in Peace
60mi North of NYC

Hails from United States

Okay guess I'm the only one painting...
So here's my second WIP..just laid out a clump of clouds, didn't use a specific reference and thought it might be fun to paint this and leave the bottom open
for Sharon or Kat's class to see what I could fill it up with. Thought was to have
it appear as tho looking from the top of a hill, we shall see.

Here is the first of it...

Thinking I should probably stroll over to photography and learn how to take a good photo.

See ya later!

Art is a collaboration between God and the artist, and the less the artist does the better. André Gide Forum Projects: Plant Parade projects in
Florals/Botanicals,
  #34   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-03-2009, 03:52 PM
North East England.

Hails from England

Quick visit Elaine!
Thanks so much for all of this - and look how many people are interested and some even sharing!

Your cloud is so beautifully fluffy and 3dimensional - I'll have to get my easel back into the studio and join in! My clouds tend to be just OK - not specific enough!

See you soon

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in Florals/Botanicals, Weekend Drawing Events in the All Media Arts Events forum. Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
**Information Kiosk~Acrylics**
**Reference Image Library**
**My SAA website**
  #35   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-03-2009, 04:14 PM
A Local Legend
Southwestern Corner of Utah

Hails from United States

Here are the clouds in question. I did them from imagination and I know that they could be improved upon. The painting is brighter, just a wee bit. The clouds are subdued to give the horses the prominence.

full painting:

Just the couds, feel free to play with them, photo shop, whatever.

I do like this part:

Any help for future paintings, I would greatly appreciate.
  #36   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-03-2009, 05:36 PM
A WC! Legend
In Her Own Mind & a few people in MS

Hails from United States

Well....I just went outside and took about 54 pictures of the clouds...there is a major storm moving past us. Learned that using zoom does not help much with clouds... but still got a few that might be interesting to paint. Even got a few of my finger, the porch rail and bench I was standing on...perhaps for abstracts later?
"Who said one paints with colors? One employs colors, but one paints with feeling."

~Jean-Baptiste-Siméon Chardin
Susan's Soul________ Blog_______ Yessy
  #37   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-03-2009, 07:32 PM
Resting in Peace
60mi North of NYC

Hails from United States

Hi Sue,

That's a wonderful work. I almost felt guilty fudging it..lol

Okay I saw the light on the horse and figured that was a definite light source that I'd follow in the certain parts of the clouds.
I scattered the ones behind making them more spread almost cirrus like in portions coming from the other mass. I also pulled them back a bit by changing the size and shapes, don't know if you will agree but it creates some depth I think in doing so.

I wasn't sure if you were suggesting rain in the area which you circled, and I really liked those as well. I kind of got rid of that and if it's a proper part of your interprutation I would do it very thinly with a light light grey thinning as it comes down. It might not be as we would see it but I think as a painting the suggestion of it would be in the coloring of the clouds or deep deep shadows.

Here's what I did in Painter X, I don't manipulate as well in Photoshop.
You decide if what I've changed is not acceptable and that's okay maybe it will lead you in your own direction. Too much bulk I think is what happened and these other seem to perhaps compliment the horses so that they are as they should be the focus. Me and my harmony fettish..haha I apologize as well because I'm talking like you're going to be changing it..

Here's some tweaking and yours..see what ya think.

Florals/Botanicals,
  #38   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-03-2009, 07:35 PM
Resting in Peace
60mi North of NYC

Hails from United States

Hi Sue....Greeeeeat! Hmmm don't abstain with the abstract you still have to have some idea of the shapes even to distort them, perhaps not the best word wouldn't want to offend but you know what I mean...You can share some of those photos too, no copyrights right..

Florals/Botanicals,
  #39   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-03-2009, 09:13 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from New Zealand

Hi Elaine

your cloud is great and you make it look so easy.
This is my second atemped the first got painted over i did not know when to stop I keeped on play untill i stuffed it it quite hard to paint something out of comtext as you have nothing to balance it to.

i had to stop or this one would have gone the same way of the first
  #40   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-03-2009, 10:24 PM
A WC! Legend
Okeechobee, Florida

Hails from United States

Elaine, Excellent Class and wip on your clouds, I just love how you make your clouds look soo 3D!! Amazing, saved all of your steps and will practice on it soon.
Love Sue's clouds too.. I like how you touched it up with some lighter areas.
Watching closely to see how everyone does and how they turn out!
Your doing great Elaine, Thanks!!
  #41   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-03-2009, 11:43 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

Well....there are a few that turned out interesting, and I will post them...royalty free....now if someone makes millions on one of them, I will gladly take a hand out...
"Who said one paints with colors? One employs colors, but one paints with feeling."

#42   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-03-2009, 11:48 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from New Zealand

np you will be the first
  #43   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-04-2009, 12:40 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

I hope you were serious about sharing, Elaine. Sorry, so many did not turn out but better on the uploader... There were 13 that aren't too bad...I am not the greatest photographer...and one or two are touched up a bit to remove things that detracted from the photo.

Attachment 421915

Attachment 421916

Attachment 421917

Attachment 421918

Attachment 421919
Attached Images

#44   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-04-2009, 12:43 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

Only 3 more after these...hope someone finds them helpful...Attachment 421921

Attachment 421922

Attachment 421923

Attachment 421924

Attachment 421925
Attached Images

#45   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-04-2009, 12:46 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

Attachment 421926

Attachment 421927

Attachment 421928

The end.
Attached Images