WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics > The Information Kiosk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-02-2008, 05:40 AM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from United Kingdom
Re: MAPS - Mastersí Acrylic Painting Studies (Van Gogh) June/July, 2008

Good choice Janet, thank you!

I'm going to concentrate on finishing my Renoir and then see how I am for time, but I'll be following everyone's progress in the meantime!

Great studies EP, looks like they were fun to do!

Cyndi, I love Irisies, can't wait to see your version.

Alison
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-02-2008, 06:18 AM
A Local Legend
Southern Michigan

Hails from United States

Hi EP! I KNEW VG would be a perfect fit for your style! Excellent paintings - I especially like the sunflowers in the blue vase!

Hi Cyndi! Oh, I love that one! Can't wait to see your version of the irises!

Hi Alison! Good thing though, we have clear through the end of July! I hope you have time to finish your Renior AND do a van Gogh!

Hi Susan - I have to admit, van Gogh has not been a favorite of mine either, but the more I look at his work, the more I like it - at least some of it. (I'm not fond of his portrait style.) Good thing is, he created a LOT of paintings so we have many to choose from. I'm anxious to see which one or ones you pick.

Hi Jim! Some months back, Maureen (Charlie's Mum) posted a challenge in the Floral and Botanical forum for us to create a floral in the style of van Gogh. It was the first time I'd ever tired anything like that and it was more challenging than expected and very time consuming because of the tiny brush strokes. I came away from the challenge with a new respect for his work. You're right though, this should be a good fit for acrylic painters which I don't consider a bad thing. Hope you will be joining us for this. Now I'm off to look at the two paintings you recommended. I'm still undecided as to which VG to choose.

Here's my "in van Gogh's style" painting from the Floral and Botanical challenge.

Elizabeth

Guess this could be considered a melding of van Gogh's and Elizabeth's styles. The flower itself, I realize isn't very van Goghy, but the background, well...maybe.

My Website: www.CrabtreeOriginals.com
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-02-2008, 06:38 AM
Lord of the Arts
Southern California

Hails from United States

WOOOOO HOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! I'm in for sure!

EP you are already way ahead! You have had extra practice!

Cyndi, when you are up close to his work you realize just how impressive it really is. When I went to the Norton Simon and looked at one of the trees he painted, it looked like the paint was 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick! He definitely applied the paint liberally......I'm not sure I will be doing that!
I love the iris painting as well.... can't wait to see your interpretation.

Looks great Elizabeth! I think it is a good thing to combine your style with his! Perhaps you will develop it into something totally unique.

I know there is going to be some really fun work done on this challenge....I will be awaiting all the posts as to what you have all chosen to paint and the progress everyone will be making.

http://www.colleensparlin.com/
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-02-2008, 06:59 AM
North East England.

Hails from England

Here's my 'in the style of' VG from the Floral/Botanical forum.

If you'd like to see more of the entries to that project, go to florals Botanicals and in a sticky at the top you'll find the Plant Parade Links - you'll want October. ....... just click here!

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in Florals/Botanicals, Weekend Drawing Events in the All Media Arts Events forum. Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
**Information Kiosk~Acrylics**
**Reference Image Library**
**My SAA website**
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-02-2008, 08:54 AM
A Local Legend
Southern Michigan

Hails from United States

Hi Janet and all! I just found a site with a whole catalog of van Goghs. It will be a little time consuming to click on and look at them all, but it looks to me to really be a complete list (with pictures). Here's the link: Vincent van Gogh Complete Catalog.

Hi Marueen! I really enjoyed seeing your painting again, in fact, I had to go back to the thread and see them all! Thanks for the link!

I've chosen mine after a couple days of looking. Hope I'm up for this challenge : Cafe Terrace.

Elizabeth

#21   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-02-2008, 11:42 AM
Morris, NY USA

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie's Mum
Here's my 'in the style of' VG from the Floral/Botanical forum.

If you'd like to see more of the entries to that project, go to florals Botanicals and in a sticky at the top you'll find the Plant Parade Links - you'll want October. ....... just click here!

Well done, Charlie's Mum!
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-02-2008, 01:00 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint

Hails from Canada

Hi Susan, I wouldn't hang a Van Gogh in my home but working from one is sooo much fun. If anyone is looking to loosen up this is the way to go. I see him as the extreme when it comes to impressionism. You're rite regarding color I find it interesting and those bold strokes are great. His form isn't great but again interesting. Following Gaughin to Tahiti sound much better to me also.

Hi Jim, I'm not quite sure about the snap thing but you're absolutely rite that acrylics are a good medium for his style. If I can loosen up enough I should be able to pull off something decent probably not something that would pass as a forgery but with a few of my own touches.

Hi Romi, I'm glad you like the choice. Will you be joining us this month?

Hi Cyndi, Great choice! "Sculpt nature" Great way of putting it. Looking forward to seeing your progress.

Hi Alison, You're welcome! I'm glad you like it... I hope you find the time to do a Van Gogh. I'm really looking forward to seeing your Renoir.

Hi Elizabeth, What a great challenge and wonderful painting. Thank you for sharing it! Thank you so much for the link... it's fantastic. I love your choice of Van Gogh. Looking forward to seeing your progress.

Hi Collen, I'm so happy that you decided to join us this month! Looking forward to seeing which one you choose.

Hi Maureen, Beautiful painting and it was such a great idea for a challenge. I looked through the thread and it seemed like everyone had a great time with it.

Here's the painting that I had done previously in acrylics:

#23   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-03-2008, 05:02 AM
Lord of the Arts
Southern California

Hails from United States

Great job! Maureen and Janet, looks like you both have his style down! I hope you all are going to pick another piece to do! I haven't decided yet, thanks for the link Elizabeth, there are many to choose from! You have picked a very nice one!

http://www.colleensparlin.com/
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-03-2008, 09:16 AM
Veteran Member
WestHartford, CT

Hails from United States

OK OK time to use up some paint . The two month window works with work/family priorities limiting my creative moments . My kindergartener just learned about Van Gogh and should support my efforts and maybe join in!

Steve
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-03-2008, 02:25 PM

Hails from Canada

Thank you Colleen! I'm looking forward to doing another Van Gogh.

Hi Steve, Looking forward to seeing your Van Gogh and possibly your kindergarteners version as well.
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-05-2008, 02:37 PM
A Local Legend
Southern Michigan

Hails from United States

I like your van Gogh Janet! I've not seen that particular painting before but the style looks very right!

I'm trying to decide what support to use this time. Last time, I used paper and was disappointed. I just picked up some gesso art board for the Different Strokes project that seems to cause a van Gogh effect whether I want it to or not. Although the measurements are different, I may try and adapt it for this painting. Decisions, decisions.

How is everyone else coming along?

Elizabeth

#27   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-05-2008, 02:53 PM
Immortalized

Hails from Germany

I can' t make up my mind which one to paint

Janet, I saw "yours" in Amsterdam in 2001, and standing in front of it I remembered the situation in which it had been painted, and suddenly I couldn't help tears running out of my eyes..... Thank you for bringing back those wonderful memories by your painting !
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-05-2008, 07:21 PM

Hails from Canada

Thank you Elizabeth! I used paper on my last one and have to agree with you it is virtually impossible to work with the thicker paint on paper and get the loose effect. I'm really looking forward to seeing your Van Gogh.

Hi friesin! As Elizabeth said decisions, decisions. I'm glad my painting brought back memories... very sweet thing to say.

Well I'm in slow motion rite now... got a little sidetracked with color theory. I'll be doing the Different Strokes first and then I'll working on my Van Gogh. I know which one I'm going to do.... Van Gogh Sunflowers. I had done it colored pencils but I certainly couldn't get the loose effect with colored pencils. One of the reasons that I switched to acrylics is to be able to be more loose as that is what I enjoy. That's why I'm drawn to impressionism.

If their are any masters that anyone would like to do for future MAPS please just mention it and I'll start a list.
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-05-2008, 07:48 PM
A Local Legend
Southern Michigan

Hails from United States

Hi Friesin! I had the same trouble - so many to choose from it's hard to decide. Best of luck finding the perfect one!

Hi Janet! I love van Gogh's sunflowers and thought about doing one of them. Maybe if I have time it can be my second. I'm sure yours will be wonderful! I have my Different Strokes well underway so I'm starting on this one. So far, it's just in the drawing stage. I'm excited to get painting on it, maybe yet tonight.

I have a suggestion for a future MAPs. I LOVE the Art Nouveau period and particularly Alfons Mucha. His date of death is July 14, 1939 so we would be right on the border of the 70 year rule. There are other outstanding artists from that time though if we can't use Mucha. Here's a link to the Wikpedia list (scroll down to the list of artists). Art Nouveau.There quite a few to choose from. I'd be happy with any. Of course, if I'm the only one to vote for Art Nouveau, I will understand and be happy with who ever is chosen.

Thank you so much for asking!

Elizabeth

#30   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-05-2008, 09:48 PM
Resting in Peace
US

Hails from United States

Thank you for starting this thread. It's so interesting to see how different everyone's interpretation is.

I tried this piece called the Plaster Statuette of a Female Torso and it doesn't have the swirling effect but it has thick paint. I couldn't get the colors or strokes right.

4.5 x 5 inch acrylic paper