WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics > The Information Kiosk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#196   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-31-2008, 04:38 PM
A Local Legend
Pacific Northwest

Hails from United States
Re: MAPS - Masters’ Acrylic Painting Studies (Van Gogh) June/July, 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mette Rörström
Stoney...this is beutyful!!

Yes, it is beautiful. The end result was quite a surprise.
  #197   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-31-2008, 08:09 PM
Lord of the Arts
Colorado

Hails from United States

Stoney,
that is so beautiful!

Visit me on Facebook
  #198   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-31-2008, 08:34 PM
Lord of the Arts
Colorado

Hails from United States

Well, here it is. I have to say I learned so very much from this painting. Everything from smaller canvases aren't necessarily better...to acrylic paint dries REALLY fast no matter what you do in 100 degree heat waves. LOL.
Because of the smaller canvas, I just couldn't duplicate the things I really wanted to...I guess maybe I could have done a part of the painting...something to think about. I just couldn't get the dirt to work. I have the closeup of the original, and it is so beautiful...but I couldn't get all the colors in place without one giant brown muddy mess. I tell you all this not to constantly bemoan...but because I am learning...and I thought I would share what I have learned, and what even I can see I still need to. LOL. I learned so much about brush technique doing this...and folks, there were hearts hidden all over this canvas. I am NOT kidding. Including one next to where he signed his name. I literally broke down and cried at that. Let's just say I was empathizing a little too much with our Vincent by the time I was closing in on the stretch. lol. Too many 12 hour days working on this. It probably took me as long to do this little one, as he took for the original that is 4 times as big...and I am not kidding. hehe. Anyway, I still need to go back and do touchups especially relining the 'ink block" look. And if I get energetic I may try the dirt again. I got part of it right...so just need to work on the lower left area. ok, didn't mean to write a book. This one was just such a labor of love though....

And of course I added a few too many mums or whatever they are...but that's ok...and I AM getting better. hehe.

Visit me on Facebook
  #199   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-31-2008, 09:31 PM
A Local Legend
Pacific Northwest

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by changingpaths
Stoney,
that is so beautiful!

Thank you, kindly. I still find it hard to believe I produced that.
  #200   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-31-2008, 09:35 PM
A Local Legend
Pacific Northwest

Hails from United States

Quote:
Well, here it is. I have to say I learned so very much from this painting. Everything from smaller canvases aren't necessarily better...to acrylic paint dries REALLY fast no matter what you do in 100 degree heat waves. LOL.

That it does. Perhaps using retarder and working in smaller areas at a time?

Quote:
Because of the smaller canvas, I just couldn't duplicate the things I really wanted to...I guess maybe I could have done a part of the painting...something to think about. I just couldn't get the dirt to work. I have the closeup of the original, and it is so beautiful...but I couldn't get all the colors in place without one giant brown muddy mess. I tell you all this not to constantly bemoan...but because I am learning...and I thought I would share what I have learned, and what even I can see I still need to.

Perhaps utilizing glazes and letting one layer fully dry before adding another?

Quote:
LOL. I learned so much about brush technique doing this...and folks, there were hearts hidden all over this canvas. I am NOT kidding. Including one next to where he signed his name.

Eh?

Quote:
I literally broke down and cried at that. Let's just say I was empathizing a little too much with our Vincent by the time I was closing in on the stretch. lol. Too many 12 hour days working on this. It probably took me as long to do this little one, as he took for the original that is 4 times as big...and I am not kidding. hehe. Anyway, I still need to go back and do touchups especially relining the 'ink block" look. And if I get energetic I may try the dirt again. I got part of it right...so just need to work on the lower left area. ok, didn't mean to write a book. This one was just such a labor of love though....

And of course I added a few too many mums or whatever they are...but that's ok...and I AM getting better. hehe.
  #201   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-31-2008, 10:01 PM
Lord of the Arts
Colorado

Hails from United States

Actually I did use slo-dri. I always do as our normal humidity is only about 9%. But the heat wave has just intensified it.

I think that might be what I will have to do on the dirt. literally just do a row at a time as they seem to overlap in a zig zag type pattern.

Thanks for the thoughts.

Visit me on Facebook
  #202   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-01-2008, 12:11 AM
Lord of the Arts
Colorado

Hails from United States

oh...Stoney, I guess I didn't explain...the parts I couldn't replicate were the amazing texture. (See about the fourth page of thread...I posted a close up of the original.) The smaller canvas made some of it literally impossible. I considered filling a small syringe with paint and trying to get the texture that way, but it sounded like a mess. And modeling paste was a total bust. Won't ever use that again I don't think.

Visit me on Facebook
  #203   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-01-2008, 03:20 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint

Hails from Canada

Great job everybody!
  #204   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-03-2008, 01:55 PM
A Local Legend
Pacific Northwest

Hails from United States

Quote:
oh...Stoney, I guess I didn't explain...the parts I couldn't replicate were the amazing texture. (See about the fourth page of thread...I posted a close up of the original.) The smaller canvas made some of it literally impossible. I considered filling a small syringe with paint and trying to get the texture that way, but it sounded like a mess. And modeling paste was a total bust. Won't ever use that again I don't think.

Thank you for the explanation, but I'm still confused about; "and folks, there were hearts hidden all over this canvas"