WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics > The Information Kiosk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#61   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-24-2008, 10:59 PM

Hails from United States
Re: Experiments with Golden Open

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza ollin
Andrew, thanks so much for posting your process and pics, and for that link to the tech page. I thought I'd read everything they had on their site re OPENs, missed this, and it's got some very good guidelines and issues raised, with more explanation than I'd seen so far. I appreciate it.

Hi Eliza,

Yeah, one of the things I like about Golden is that they do a pretty decent job of publishing technical information about their paints on their site (I like to have as much of that stuff available as possible). Sometimes I wish it was all "pulled together" a little more, but there's a lot of good information there if you can find it.

BTW, you mentioned in a different post about some frustrations with the paint. I wonder if using watercolor paper might be causing that... Maybe using paper as the support pulls water out of the paints faster and causes them to handle less easily? If you haven't already, you could try putting down something like GAC-100 on the paper as a "sealer", though I don't know if that would change the feel of the paper to something you don't like, but it could be worth a try...

-Andrew

#62   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-24-2008, 11:26 PM
Veteran Member
Detroit, MI

Quote:
Originally Posted by awerth
BTW, you mentioned in a different post about some frustrations with the paint. I wonder if using watercolor paper might be causing that... Maybe using paper as the support pulls water out of the paints faster and causes them to handle less easily? If you haven't already, you could try putting down something like GAC-100 on the paper as a "sealer", though I don't know if that would change the feel of the paper to something you don't like, but it could be worth a try...-Andrew

Hi Andrew, I've wondered about the difference in handling on paper vs. canvas vs. board, too, I'm definately keeping it in mind as I experiment...My first try was on canvas, but that time I was more frustrated with the transparency, I don't remember having problems with lifting. I do think my main problem with lifting was water, though, (something that I now see they don't recommend a lot of) and after substituting medium and thinner for most of my water today, things got a lot better. I did add water a few times to intentionally lift too, so it was all good. I am starting to learn how to manipulate this stuff...yay!

Still on the priority list: how to get opacity (opaque gel vs. opaque paints, and how to quickly cover mistakes!
  #63   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-25-2008, 12:39 AM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from United States

Eliza - cool subject! Good one! Thanks for contributing.

Last edited by tbezesky : 07-25-2008 at 12:46 AM.
  #64   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-27-2008, 07:03 PM
A WC! Legend
New York's Hudson Valley

Hails from United States

Hi everybody! I'm back from an awesome painting trip, following the trail of the old Hudson River School painters and painting 'in their footsteps', so to speak. I haven't photographed the paintings yet, but will be posting them to my blog this week as I get the images ready. I took only Golden OPEN with me, and it was such a pleasure to travel with for a plein air trip!

I'm glad to come home to so many new posts and paintings.

Andrew W., what convincing fruits and veggies! I especially like the onions and the orange that's on the board.

Tracy, that was a good idea to pair the cherries with a complementary colored plate. It sure does the trick.

Eliza:
Quote:
if you want your paints to stay open on the palette, and wet on your canvas, do not sit directly under a ceiling fan! However, if you want to speed things up, and get to that thick impasto paint consistancy Jamie was raving about, a fan is the way to go!
This totally cracked me up. On my trip, I went from painting by a self-misting waterfall in the shade, to painting on top of a ridge in the heat, sun and wind. I got the best of all worlds. BTW, I didn't use any mediums. In fact, I didn't bring them on the long hikes and climbs. The times when I did have them with me, I didn't need to use them either. I just misted my palette on occasion as needed, and painted straight from the tubes.

Eliza, I don't know what colors you're painting with, but perhaps you need more of the opaque colors if you're not enjoying those transparent ones. Maybe omitting the transparent colors from your palette, when you want an opaque result, will help you out, and work the paint thickly, straight from the tube, without water or mediums, to take advantage of as much pigment as possible. Once it tacks up, you can apply another layer without water or mediums to juice up the color even more, and use that opportunity to work the lights and darks. I love working on watercolor paper! Those stacked bowls are so cute! I hope you do continue with it and add another layer.

I'd best go unpack and photograph some paintings.....'Will show them soon and tell about the trip...

Jamie

One year from now, you'll wish you had started today.
  #65   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-27-2008, 07:57 PM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from United States

Looking forward to seeing your paintings Jamie!
  #66   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-28-2008, 08:53 PM

Got it!!! Just took it out of the package. I experiment with them for a moment. One thing I did notice the Pigments are on thelight side as one lady mentioned doing that AWESOME STILL LIFE!!! Bravo Work Love!!!!
Due that I have almost every acrylic paint under the sun, down to craft acrylics, I base coat with another acrylic craft paint. Then I used Open to shade and highlight. I was very happy.

I also added a little of the craft acrylic paint to my brush and tapped into a little Open sap green. Apply it on canvas paper and I had enough time to blend then it dry completely. I went back glazed in so shading and highlights with the open. I was truly impressed how the object showed depth.
I haven't worked it like traditional oil blend yet. I will have to apply Golden other acrylic for opaque value and medium value thats my feel on this matter. But I will play more to see.

Truth, I love these paints.
The great thing they're compatiable with mostly any acylic paints you have, and you control for drying time. Mixed with other acrylics it will dry much faster. Another benefit in my favor I feel. But this is my view. So far I'm very pleased.

Cyn

PS Tracy Love, thanks so much for sharing you Utube with us. I was truly impressed and excited for you. I'll post an outcome of what I found so far.
  #67   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-28-2008, 11:34 PM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from United States

Thank you for sharing. There seems to be lots of excitement when people try them. There have always been claims about an Acrylic being more like oils and true slow drying times, finally there's a paint that lives up to the hype.
I like how I can paint with the same process as oils, the first time an acrylic can do that. Even think oils when I paint.
  #68   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-28-2008, 11:38 PM

Tracy do you find when you put the first layer down it applies transparent or sheer like? I notice that I half to apply another coat for opaque coverage.
I'm prepare to play tomorrow.
Cyn
  #69   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-29-2008, 12:46 AM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from United States

I build up my paint, so it hasn't been a problem. I do tone the canvas though so I don't have fill in the little white holes, as you can see in the youtube movie.
I wouldn't have minded it being a little thicker, but it does get thicker as it sits in palette. I have been using the sealed round richeson palette with the watercolor tray insert with no moisture, even the thin areas of paint are still wet and its been there for a week.
If I don't respond tomorrow it's because out most of the day. Have fun!
Looking forward to seeing what you've done if you want to post.
  #70   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-29-2008, 11:26 AM
A WC! Legend
New York's Hudson Valley

Hails from United States

Cyn, I usually start paintings transparently and build up opacity as I add layers, so the OPEN paints play perfectly into that approach. I lay on that first coat a lot thicker than in oils to get coverage, and it simultaneously starts that nice working property that occurs once enough paint gets onto the support.

Tracy, I agree with you...."Finally a paint that lives up to the hype!"

This is a plein air painting from Kaaterskill Falls, where I followed the trail of the old Hudson River School painters this past week. It's 10x8", Golden OPEN on "Pearl" Canson board, sized with Golden Matte Medium diluted 20% with water.

You can see a larger image of it here on my blog post (click the image to enlarge it), as well as read about the expedition and location.

Jamie

#71   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-30-2008, 02:52 AM
Lord of the Arts
Randolph, MA

Hails from United States

I tried to do another sketch using gessoed illustration board, but it just seems to suck the wetness right out of the paint layers pretty much as soon as I put it on. Anyhow, what I wanted to know is, what would be a good painting support for acrylics? Would a coat of acrylic paint or medium prevent the gesso from sucking the wetness out of the paint?

Trying is the first step towards failure. - Homer Simpson, The Simpsons

Last edited by WC Lee : 07-30-2008 at 02:57 AM.
  #72   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-30-2008, 04:20 AM
Lord of the Arts
Randolph, MA

Hails from United States

another bad attempt at using OPENs

Trying is the first step towards failure. - Homer Simpson, The Simpsons
  #73   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-30-2008, 08:38 AM

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by WC Lee
I tried to do another sketch using gessoed illustration board, but it just seems to suck the wetness right out of the paint layers pretty much as soon as I put it on. Anyhow, what I wanted to know is, what would be a good painting support for acrylics? Would a coat of acrylic paint or medium prevent the gesso from sucking the wetness out of the paint?

You can try sealing the board with two coats of Golden's GAC-100 medium. I think that would provide a barrier to help prevent the water from reaching the illustration board. If that doesn't work, you can try the more complicated (more than I'm willing to do) instructions on the Golden site for preparing a wood support:

http://www.goldenpaints.com/technica...php#substrates

I usually paint either on a pre-gessoed canvas or on one of the various "Gessobord" panels from Ampersand. In my first attempt with Golden OPENs, I took a gessoed canvas and applied GAC-100 and then toned gesso and didn't have any problems with the canvas sucking water out of the paints.

Hope that's helpful...

-Andrew

#74   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-30-2008, 09:31 AM
A WC! Legend
New York's Hudson Valley

Hails from United States

I love absorbent surfaces with this paint. Gessoboard is one of my favorites. I find I can really slather on the paint if the surface is absorbent. That gives me more pigment to work with and better color. The water gets absorbed into the support, and I get all that rich pigment on the surface.

I also like all supports with a sizing of Golden Matte Medium, diluted 20% with water. You'll find it's less slick than the GAC100, and grabs the paint better. I don't really like this paint on slick surfaces. It's too difficult for me to get a heavy layer of paint down. When I find a surface I don't care for, I just size with the Golden Matte Medium and I'm good to go!

Jamie

#75   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-30-2008, 02:53 PM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from United States

WCLee- Looks good in the photo, I think Jamie has good advice.
Jamie, the falls are gorgeous! A difficult subject, but enjoyable atomosphere to paint by with the sounds and mists of water.
I went to an acrylic workshop taught by a Golden Working Artist we got to experiment with mediums and try them out as substrates.
I like the Golden Opens on the absorbant ground and the ground for pastels.
fine pumice was not bad either. Molding pastes were too rough for this purpose. I can show more on this workshop, but I need to get some painting done.