WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics > The Information Kiosk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-18-2008, 06:54 PM
Tucson, AZ

Hails from United States
Re: Experiments with Golden Open

<<it {Golden Open} looks juicier than reg. acrylics>>

Tracy,

Could you explain what you mean by this? I don't have any background in oils.

Theo
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-18-2008, 09:49 PM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from United States

Blended wet not sticky.
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-18-2008, 10:16 PM
A WC! Legend
New York's Hudson Valley

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbezesky
I don't mind consistency either. We usually thin it down anyway. I am using a softer brush if I want to put wet on wet paint. It makes a hi-lite quite well. Firmer brush for first application.
I want to get out and paint too, when we get a cool day.

Tracy, one thing I noticed is that coming from an oil painting background, I tended to thin the paint for my underpainting just like I would do with turp and oil paint. In oils, everything goes sour quickly if the underpainting is too thick, and before you know it, you're slip-sliding around in a thick pigment soup, and layers are drowning in the muck. Know what I mean?

Well, I find that with the OPEN paints, I actually like it best once I have a good layer or two of paint on there and it starts to grip the successive layers. I stopped thinning my underlayers, and started painting thicker from the start. As the water evaporates from the paint, it tightens up a little, and just becomes more and more workable as more layers are applied. It's very hard to describe. Do you feel this way too as you use it?

Also, when painting alla prima, although the paint on my palette doesn't skin over nor dry out, it does seem to thicken. I've found that very useful as I get to the more impasto stages of heavier application. Have you found that too? I can always spray the paint with water to bring it back to its former consistency, but I like the thicker paint later in the process. It's as if it's working with me in being thinner for the earlier stages and thicker for the later stages.

Steve, I like the composition and reflections on your beach scene. Way to go with saving paint!

Jamie

One year from now, you'll wish you had started today.
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-19-2008, 12:13 AM
Enthusiast
in the kitchen

Hails from United States

I just got my Golden Opens and really enjoyed using them for the first time tonight. I started with oil painting years ago but didn't paint to terribly often as I was concentrating more on pencil and charcoal work. I recently started working with acrylics and was partially through my third one when i heard about these. I decided to wait on them as I was very frustrated with the drying of the acrylic paint. I am working on a portrait and going for a realistic look. the blending was causing me fits. I am sure there are some here that have perfected that sort of thing but not me. I was getting there but still just was having a hard time; I would start out doing good but forget to work fast enough or forget to spritz my paint mix enough etc. etc.

Well, i just played around with the Opens tonight on the background of the painting and really loved it. I was able to get the effect I was looking for without holding multiple fresh brushes in either hand or one in my mouth as I had been doing before

I tried to take a photo of my work but the lighting was terrible for pictures and you really couldn't see any of the subtle blending.

I know I will be using these again and possibly buying a few more colors.

Thank you Golden for such a nice product.

Women and cats do as they please, men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-19-2008, 12:53 AM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieWG
Tracy, one thing I noticed is that coming from an oil painting background, I tended to thin the paint for my underpainting just like I would do with turp and oil paint. In oils, everything goes sour quickly if the underpainting is too thick, and before you know it, you're slip-sliding around in a thick pigment soup, and layers are drowning in the muck. Know what I mean?

Well, I find that with the OPEN paints, I actually like it best once I have a good layer or two of paint on there and it starts to grip the successive layers. I stopped thinning my underlayers, and started painting thicker from the start. As the water evaporates from the paint, it tightens up a little, and just becomes more and more workable as more layers are applied. It's very hard to describe. Do you feel this way too as you use it?

Also, when painting alla prima, although the paint on my palette doesn't skin over nor dry out, it does seem to thicken. I've found that very useful as I get to the more impasto stages of heavier application. Have you found that too? I can always spray the paint with water to bring it back to its former consistency, but I like the thicker paint later in the process. It's as if it's working with me in being thinner for the earlier stages and thicker for the later stages.

Jamie

Yes, I see what you mean! I am ready to try some sun-thickened opens.
With oils I didn't want them too buttery, I use Galkyd Medium and Neogilp.
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-19-2008, 09:21 AM
A WC! Legend
New York's Hudson Valley

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMaddy
....... I recently started working with acrylics and was partially through my third one when i heard about these. I decided to wait on them as I was very frustrated with the drying of the acrylic paint. I am working on a portrait and going for a realistic look. the blending was causing me fits. I am sure there are some here that have perfected that sort of thing but not me. I was getting there but still just was having a hard time; I would start out doing good but forget to work fast enough or forget to spritz my paint mix enough etc. etc.

Well, i just played around with the Opens tonight on the background of the painting and really loved it. I was able to get the effect I was looking for without holding multiple fresh brushes in either hand or one in my mouth as I had been doing before

I tried to take a photo of my work but the lighting was terrible for pictures and you really couldn't see any of the subtle blending.

I know I will be using these again and possibly buying a few more colors.

Thank you Golden for such a nice product.

Lara, I've been using them a lot in open studio figure painting. They are such a dream. For years I'd been bringing oils or traditional acrylics to open studio for portraits and figures, but these have worked out so much better for me, giving me the biggest advantages of both mediums and eliminating the disadvantages of each. I can understand how happy you must be to find this paint for portraits. It's perfect. I can see a huge future for them with portrait and figure painters.

Jamie

#22   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-19-2008, 09:22 AM
A WC! Legend
New York's Hudson Valley

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbezesky
Yes, I see what you mean! I am ready to try some sun-thickened opens.

Hahahaha! Good one, Tracy!

#23   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-19-2008, 11:28 AM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from United States

Lara, thanks for sharing your experience. Hope that you will be able post your work here. I'd love to see it. I like to take my work outside to take pictures.
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-19-2008, 07:13 PM
Enthusiast
New Mexico

Hails from United States

Here is my WIP, the reference came from RIL.
My Image resizing software ain't too great so it's blurry but I think the close up is ok.
This is only my 2nd ever painting in acrylic. My previous one was using cheap Reeves acrylic paints.
This is 8 X 11.5 on Gesso covered cardboard.
I have since removed the hair in the painting

My thoughts on Open Acrylics so far as as follows:

I started the painting a few days ago and used a John Pike covered palette. Today, a few days later, the paints are still wet, even the areas where I mixed colors was moist enough to recover.

The paint doesn't dry for hours but gets sticky quickly, like in minutes. I don't consider this really a problem though. I was able to blend into the stickiness with ease. When I didn't want to blend, I was able use a soft brush and paint over the sticky paint without disturbing it.

The painting may start out with lots of texture but it flattens out by the time it dries. Perhaps the gel medium would make it not flatten. But, I don't have any.

Using mediums with oil paints makes them kind of 'slippery', the Open gloss medium and thinner did not. The paint doesn't really glide off the brush. However, it really only took a few strokes to get used to the different feeling.

I don't have a headache!
I don't mind using solvents outdoors or in places with good ventilation, but my house does not have good ventilation. I'm trying different mediums to see what I can use in the winter. I think I'll definitely be using these paints and probably water miscible oils and my regular oils using oil instead of solvent. But, I don't have a lot of room for housing wet paintings so acrylics are good for that problem.
Attached Images

#25   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-19-2008, 07:37 PM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from United States

Very good! Thanks for contributing!
The gel is the same consistency as the paint. It is for making more transparent without thinning the consistency of the paint. Jamie says that once the paint has been on the palette for along time you have a thicker version that's very useful for impasto, which works nicely since you need it more near the end of your painting. I am still waiting for this, amazing isn't it.
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-19-2008, 08:15 PM
A Local Legend
NE Oklahoma

Hails from United States

This is such exciting stuff! I love your haystacks Tracy. I looked in Michaels (where I buy other Golden products) and they don't have it. Wonder if it's just going to be available online or at higher end Art Supply stores?
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-19-2008, 08:31 PM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from United States

Thanks, I don't know which stores have them stocked but Dick Blick is a good place online. I will look forward to seeing what you do with them!
I am very excited about them, I'm wanting to get started on another.
I was delightfully surprised on how they worked.
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-20-2008, 12:20 AM
Beautiful BC

Hails from Canada

... the more I read about these the more tempted I am to try them ... but I told myself to hold off until I use up some of my existing acrylic paint tubes ... ahhhhhh!!!
Moderator for: Artwork From Life (Scavenger Hunts) All Media Art Events (WDE) Art Journals (Sketchbooks)
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-20-2008, 12:48 AM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from United States

Then you should paint like the wind!
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-20-2008, 07:58 AM
A WC! Legend
New York's Hudson Valley

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1lady

The paint doesn't dry for hours but gets sticky quickly, like in minutes. I don't consider this really a problem though. I was able to blend into the stickiness with ease. When I didn't want to blend, I was able use a soft brush and paint over the sticky paint without disturbing it.

The painting may start out with lots of texture but it flattens out by the time it dries. Perhaps the gel medium would make it not flatten. But, I don't have any.

Using mediums with oil paints makes them kind of 'slippery', the Open gloss medium and thinner did not. The paint doesn't really glide off the brush. However, it really only took a few strokes to get used to the different feeling.

Thanks for sharing your painting and thoughts with us! I agree with all your comments. I too find soft brushes the way to go with this paint. After adjusting to that sticky tack-up stage, I find it works greatly to my advantage. In fact, it's one of the paint stages I really love. I find I like to apply a LOT of paint---way more than oils, and I don't thin the paint like I would with traditional acrylics.

Yes, the paint does flatten out a lot as it dries, even in areas that are initially quite impasto in texture. I suppose one could use a gel of some kind for that, but I don't mind it. The strokes are still evident, and the color is great.

Celeste, here's a list of stores that carry OPEN.

I am going on a trip next week to follow the trail of the Hudson River School painters! I'm so excited.... I'm making a new painting box that will fit easily in my smaller backpack and also hold my wet paintings. I'm only bringing the OPEN paints and watercolors....no oils this time. I'll use Multimedia Artboard and acid free matboard to paint on, so everything will be lightweight. I love those surfaces for the OPEN paints too.

Jamie