WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics > The Information Kiosk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#46   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-08-2008, 06:14 PM
A WC! Legend
In Her Own Mind & a few people in MS

Hails from United States
Re: Different Strokes: June '08

Well, I can say that I started...I am doing it on black artboard. We will see how that goes...it is hard to see pencil on...lol...so I painted over the pencil marks. At least it is started, which is bettter than it could be.
"Who said one paints with colors? One employs colors, but one paints with feeling."

~Jean-Baptiste-Siméon Chardin
Susan's Soul________ Blog_______ Yessy
  #47   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-09-2008, 06:21 AM
A Local Legend
Southern Michigan

Hails from United States

Hi Maureen! I hope you go forward with the acrylic inks on paper. The effects you achieve with them are always wonderful! By the way, I was in Hobby Lobby and Michael's the other day and looked for acrylic inks and couldn't find them. Been wanting to give them a go. I may have to order online. Do you have a recommendation?

Hi Assaf! Isn't it great to not stress over the deadline? Good for you for being so close to done already. I'm looking so forward to seeing your painting!

Hi Anghwar ! Different is definitely good! I can't wait to see your watercolor style version of this reference!

Hi Susan! Hummmm, black artboard. I'll bet this will provide an interesting outcome. I'm thrilled that so many are stepping out of their comfort zones and trying new things for this challenge- myself included. Good to know you've gotten started which is sometimes the hardest part!

Elizabeth

My Website: www.CrabtreeOriginals.com
  #48   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-09-2008, 11:02 AM
A Local Legend
Brownsville TX "On the Border, By the Sea"

Hails from United States

My Hobby Lobby in Harlingen TX has some acrylic inks, but not many colors, and the employees don't know they are there or that they are acrylic. Try another employee or just ask for inks and figure out which are the acrylic. If they all arrange their stuff the same, I found them in the fine art section on the opposite end of the counter with soft and oil pastels.
  #49   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-09-2008, 01:22 PM
Enthusiast
Lacey WA

Hails from United States

Elizabeth, funny you should say 'hardest part', my DH phoned me yesterday and asked what I am doing, my reply "nothing" he said "aren't you painting" and I said "I am too afraid to put the color down"

However, I did put the first layer of acrylics wash (it is going to take many I think) after speaking with him and found an interesting fact. I CAN'T LIFT ACRYLICS ONCE IT'S DRY!! (mumble, mumble I can't lift watercolor sucessfully either because I am too inexperienced mumble mumble )

#50   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-09-2008, 08:55 PM
A Local Legend
Southern Michigan

Hails from United States

Hi Shirl! Well heck, guess I never thought to ASK, lol! It makes sense that they would be in the ink section. I didn't look there though I wasn't sure what the packaging looked like (tubes, jars, pens). So, next trip, I'll look in the ink section and if not found there, I will ask. Thank you so much for the information

Anghwar - I'm glad you finally got a layer of paint down. Yeah, acrylic wants to pretty much stay. I've actually scrubbed it with a rag or sponge but not all will come off (especially with paper - canvas lets go a little better). Just have to share too, my feeble attempts with watercolors and lifting paint. I've had your problem in reverse...seems I was always lifting paint I didn't want to lift! I could relate to the mumbling (and grumbling) and frustration. For me, it's usually some challenge in another area that takes me out of my comfort zone and smack in the middle of yet another learning experience. I have a feeling that the sharing of experiences of all of us from this challenge will be as interesting as the paintings themselves!

I hope you've made some progress though in spite of the setbacks.

Elizabeth

#51   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-10-2008, 01:34 AM
Veteran Member
Herzliya, Israel

Hails from Israel

Well, Sahvuot is over, and now I'm back to work. The painting is done. I love the way it turned out, and I think I'll take it to the office after I varnish it. I have some nice process photos too, so I'll probably post these as well on the 20th.
  #52   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-10-2008, 05:28 PM
North East England.

Hails from England

Lol Angwhar - you'll probably lift the paper too - and have a big hole in it!!!!!

Can't lift the ac. inks either and being transparent (for the most part) it's fiendishly difficult to work over mistakes .

Elizabeth - sorry not to get back earlier ...
I use both Magic Color and Daler-Rowney FW inks - the latter are 'thicker', or a bit less transparent than the Magic Color ....... they're also known as Liquid Acrylic colours as used in airbrushes.

Magic Color are made in England by Royal Sovereign Ltd - available world wide .. email I have is [email protected]

Daler Rowney website should be able to give you stockists.

Today I worked out how I want to paint this - yippee! ..... and it will be different!

Linda - hint - play around with the image on your computer to see if it inspires you

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in Florals/Botanicals, Weekend Drawing Events in the All Media Arts Events forum. Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
**Information Kiosk~Acrylics**
**Reference Image Library**
**My SAA website**
  #53   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-11-2008, 07:11 PM
Enthusiast
Lacey WA

Hails from United States

Maureen luckily I didn't need to go down that road, (lifting the paint) I still have 'cherry blossoms dreaming of becoming cherries' to practice my watercolor lifting on (haven't done that yet , maybe next year).

Anywhooo, my painting is done, not quite where I wanted it to go but I am sort of ok with it, now off to the floral/botanical forum to see how I can mess up there or become GREEN with envy .

Happy painting
Anghwar

#54   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-12-2008, 11:11 PM
Beautiful BC

Hails from Canada

I've started, finally. Right now it doesn't look too bad... so I'll photograph it and use it for the submission if it all goes downhill in the next week
Moderator for: Artwork From Life (Scavenger Hunts) All Media Art Events (WDE) Art Journals (Sketchbooks)
  #55   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-13-2008, 05:52 AM
A Local Legend
Southern Michigan

Hails from United States

Hi Assaf! Congratulations on finishing early! Oooooo, progress pics will be great! I always enjoy your work so I am very much looking forward to seeing your method/technique!

Thank you for the information on the inks, Maureen! It helps to know that this is what is used for airbrushing too, for when I ask the store clerks. I'm going to save on-line ordering for a last resort but it's good to know where to look. Thanks again!

Hi Anghwar! I was happy to hear made it to the finish line already! YaY! I cannot say the same and am feeling a bit of pressure that I haven't even started my green project from Floral and Botanicals.

Hi EP! Glad to hear you've gotten some paint down on this one. I'll bet it will go better than you think it will! I have much faith in you and your talents!

Elizabeth

#56   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-13-2008, 02:13 PM
Enthusiast
Lacey WA

Hails from United States

Elizabeth, are you a Busy Lizzie or just Impatient? Maybe life is weighing you down.

This photo is not to be used, I found it on flickr.

#57   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-13-2008, 02:30 PM
Veteran Member
Biloxi, MS

Hails from United States

I've started! I'm very excited about this one. I'm doing parts straight from the tube and parts watered down acrylics. I don't know how the end will look but it is fun trying something new! Vicki
  #58   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-14-2008, 08:55 AM
Veteran Member
Biloxi, MS

Hails from United States

Oh-my-goodness! Forget that! The whole watercolor look is not working for me! Ick! I'm trashing this one and starting over. Now I remember why I don't like watercolors! Vicki
  #59   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-14-2008, 09:02 AM
A Local Legend
Southern Michigan

Hails from United States

Anghwar - how preceptive of you! I would say, all of the above, lol! What a beautiful photo! Too bad we can't paint it; it would make a great study for rain/water droplets!

Hi Vicki! Oh darn! I was looking forward to your watercolor-ish version of this. I'm sure what ever you come up with will be wonderful though. Good thing there's still time for do-overs!

Speaking of that, if I wasn't so far into mine, I might consider throwing it out the window. I'm having some major challenges. Hopefully it will turn out OK in the end. I keep plugging away!

Elizabeth

#60   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-14-2008, 11:28 AM
Veteran Member
Herzliya, Israel

Hails from Israel

Well, my painting is now varnished. I only have to wait another 6 days or so. I hope to hang this new painting in my office, near the Amsterdam Night painting.