WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics > The Information Kiosk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-04-2008, 08:55 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Vinsulla B.C.

Hails from Canada
Re: Different Strokes: June '08

Well, I think I'm done! It was a lot of fun and just the change of subject matter that I needed to get excited about painting again.
Elizabeth, you're right, now comes the hard part, waiting two weeks until it's time to post! Happy painting everyone!
  #32   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-05-2008, 12:26 AM
Lord of the Arts
Colorado

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assaf
I already finished the squaring, and hopefully tomorrow I could eliminate most of the squares and sketch the rest more freely. My proportions have changed to 5x6, which eliminated a bit of the right, dark tunnel, and put the first pillar closer to the central composition. I hope the color composition I have in my head, of dark warms and bright colds, will work.

LOL. Thank you for the use of the photo. Very fun subject matter.

Your ideas sound very similar to mine this time, We might turn out cyber twins even without having seen each others. giggle.

Visit me on Facebook
  #33   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-05-2008, 06:45 AM
A Local Legend
Southern Michigan

Hails from United States

Hi Lillian! Congratulations on being the first (that we know of) to finish! I guess the key to being patient about showing is to paint something else that you can post, lol! Two weeks will go by fast. I'm really looking forward to seeing your painting!

Hi Cyndi! The great thing about not showing our work until the end is, no two are alike in the end. Even though your method sounds like Assaf's, I have a feeling we'll be seeing something totally unique one from the other. I have to agree with you; this has been a lot of fun to paint - barring a few complications and my usual screw-ups, lol!

Elizabeth

My Website: www.CrabtreeOriginals.com
  #34   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-05-2008, 09:28 AM
A Local Legend
Upper Michigan

Hails from United States

For some reason I'm just not getting inspired here (no offense to the great photo!). I'd love a peek at all your starts (and finishes, Lillian) to see where you guys are going or went with this. But, I know....ILLEGAL! Oh well, I'll keep pondering and wait for that burst of inspiration.

#35   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-05-2008, 11:27 AM
WC! Guide
Manitoba, Canada

Hails from Canada

I have an outline done and I learned to pay more attention to where the vanishing point is, lol. It's close enough though. It's the lights and shapes that got my attention in this one.

Linda I hope you find inspiration! I always like your contributions to this project.

mkmcreations.com *** My Acrylic Gallery
Every painting is a new adventure.
  #36   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-05-2008, 11:46 AM
Enthusiast
Seattle, Washington

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by edtree
I'm anxious to see how yours comes out - and wondering if you'll Jenny-i-fy it!

Elizabeth
That's kind of inevitable!

I've got a start going. I'm using this "art board" (assuming it's like masonite ) The painting process compared to canvas is quite different and adding a whole new dimension to the challenge...I was ready to trash it and start over, but now that I've got a base coat it doesn't look 1/2 bad...from a distance... The paint is more cooperative now, at least.
  #37   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-05-2008, 02:21 PM
A Local Legend
Southern Michigan

Hails from United States

Hi Linda! I was a lot more inspired once I finished the lines and started the painting. I don't know if that would help you or not. I do understand though that not every reference inspires every artist. I have to say though, if you decide to pass, your contribution will be sadly missed.

Hi Michelle! I believe it was in one of my books on perspective where I learned that one method to rendering artistic perspective was to sketch the lines freehand first and then line them up with the ruler. Sounds like you instinctively found this method! You're right about the light and shapes. I also like the mood.

Hey Jenny! Isn't this funny - when I shopped for a support for this project, I picked up a gesso art board on clearance at Hobby Lobby. When I started the painting process, I noticed the board was so slick and smooth that it caused a very streaky effect. Sounds like you are experiencing something similar! Is this the same kind of board you're using? If so, it may be yours and mine will be twins, hehehehehe.

Elizabeth

#38   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-05-2008, 05:09 PM
Enthusiast
Seattle, Washington

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by edtree
When I started the painting process, I noticed the board was so slick and smooth that it caused a very streaky effect.
Elizabeth
Exactly--Happy Adapting
  #39   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-06-2008, 01:48 PM

awesome challenge and neat ref. photo, I'm totally in. I'll probably change the mood a bit...or more than a bit...lol we shall see.
  #40   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-06-2008, 02:10 PM
A Local Legend
Southern Michigan

Hails from United States

Hello and Welcome, Blissful!

One of the reasons for calling this challenge "Different Strokes" is because of what you describe: "I'll probably change the mood a bit...or more than a bit..." The reveal is always a treat as all the different versions and visions of the artists are unveiled.

I'm so happy you'll be joining in the fun and look forward to seeing your entry!

Elizabeth

#41   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-06-2008, 02:42 PM
Veteran Member
Herzliya, Israel

Hails from Israel

Well, after the first day of actual painting, I almost finished the tunnel. I made, for the first time ever, an underpainting. Started painting the actual layer on a non-white canvas, which is actually nice. As promised, the color composition is split, dark/light and warm/cold, and although it's only half way there, I think it's working.
  #42   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-08-2008, 11:37 AM
A Local Legend
Southern Michigan

Hails from United States

Hi Assaf! I never thought about starting with a non-white canvas. I think that would work quite well for this and a tid-bit I will tuck away for future use-thank you! I'm glad everything seems to be going well for you on your painting!

Elizabeth

#43   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-08-2008, 11:49 AM
North East England.

Hails from England

Got the drawing done today but still undecided how to paint it - or what with!
Originally it was to be in the ac. inks, hence the paper, but now I'm vacillating!!!!!! (Probably hyper-ventilating too!) ...... I'm not about to do it all again on canvas, that's for sure!

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in Florals/Botanicals, Weekend Drawing Events in the All Media Arts Events forum. Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
**Information Kiosk~Acrylics**
**Reference Image Library**
**My SAA website**
  #44   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-08-2008, 01:09 PM
Veteran Member
Herzliya, Israel

Hails from Israel

Almost done, I'll finish it tomorrow. The tunnel is my favorite part, but the platform took the most effort. I can't wait until the unveiling - I never finished a different strokes so soon before. It's Shavout here, so except painting and eating cheesecake, I did little. Also, It's Hebrew book week, but that's a story for another time.
  #45   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-08-2008, 01:48 PM
Enthusiast
Lacey WA

Hails from United States

Maureen, I am with you. I too have the drawing done, on 'watercolor paper'. I am trying my hand at watercolor so had all these stretched boards laying around, picked one of those up by mistake.

Since acrylics CAN be used as watercolor, that is the route I will have to take. (not my first choice though) My painting will definitely be 'different'.